The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coaching box restriction after a T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/91278-coaching-box-restriction-after-t.html)

JRutledge Mon May 21, 2012 01:33pm

Coaching box restriction after a T

I was wanting some opinions. Should we get rid of the restriction of the coaching box after a HC or AC is given a T? Should the rules just allow the coach to stand as normal even if they are T'd up for unsporting behavior?

It seems to me that the making them sit just adds to conflict that does not need to be there. Does anyone agree and if you don't why?

Just had some AAU games where we let the coach stand and it did not seem to make a difference either way in the behavior.

Peace

Tio Mon May 21, 2012 01:35pm

100% agreed.... I have never been a fan of the seatbelt rule.

tref Mon May 21, 2012 01:40pm

I dont mind it, kinda lets them know they are not Rick Pitino.

Raymond Mon May 21, 2012 01:52pm

I think they only should sit for a direct T caused by their own unsporting behavior, otherwise let them keep the box. Especially hate it when I have to do extra monitoring of the HC just b/c a kid dunked in warm-ups.

johnny d Mon May 21, 2012 02:08pm

I think we should give them a choice they can either sit or take a punch in the gut from the official who gave them the T and then remain standing for the rest of the game. Actually, we should just eliminate the box and let them roam the entire court, inbounds and out, yelling and screaming whatever they like. This would add some great entertainment value and possibly increase crowd size!:D

JetMetFan Mon May 21, 2012 02:16pm

I live in both worlds during my H.S. season: In NJ they have to sit. In NYC they don't and they're given NCAA coaching box restrictions.

JRut I agree with you. The times I've had to ring up a coach in NJ it just seems to create more animosity when they sit down. They also seem to spend more time grumbling under their breath since they can't get up. In NYC they seem to let off steam by walking up and down the sidelines.

I like BNR's idea: lock 'em down if it's a direct unsporting technical.

APG Mon May 21, 2012 02:43pm

I wouldn't mind if we allowed coach's the use of the coaching box even after they're issued a T. I get the premise of why the rule is the way it is now, but it seems to me, it's can just add more fuel to a situation that's already a bit volatile.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon May 21, 2012 03:11pm

Jeff:

Like you, and others, I have lived in both worlds at the same time: NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's. I do not have a problem at the college level with the HC not losing his Coaching Box privileges. BUT, I feel that there is a big drop off in professionalism between the average high school HC and just about any college HC.

I have officiated college games that have been coached by some pretty intense HCs, but if in the 34 years that I officiated men's and women's college basketball, I honestly do not think that I did not call more that thirty (30) TFs on HCs or their assistants during the entire college career; and I ejected only two college coaches during that same time. BUT at the high school (including jr. H.S.), AAU/YBOA/AYBTour, CYO, and other youth groups, it is an all together different story.

During the 90's when I used to officiate 400 to 425 basketball games a year (including 25 to 30 college games and 80 to 90 JrHS/HS games a season, remember MichiganHSAA played its girls' basketball during the Fall back then), I could go my entire college season and not come close to whacking a coach, and have as many as 10 to 15 against JrHS/HS coaches. And don't even get me started with AAUY/YBOA/AYBTour tournaments. I should note that CYO was not too much trouble in our area because the Athletic Director for CYO is a basketball official himself and the coaches (both basketball and soccer; I officiated H.S. and CYO soccer back then) knew that he was not going to tolerate any nonsense.

Just my take on the situation.

MTD, Sr.

Bad Zebra Mon May 21, 2012 03:13pm

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wholeheartedly endorse CONTINUING with the seat belt rule. In my experience, the biggest pain in the @s$ coaches are the ones who suffer the most when they have to be seated. Thus, I believe it DOES actually act as a deterrent. My fear is that this group would get even worse without it.

I am basing this opinion on HS games only. AAU is a complete circus to me and nothing will change the behavior of that cast of fools.

bainsey Mon May 21, 2012 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 842768)
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wholeheartedly endorse CONTINUING with the seat belt rule. In my experience, the biggest pain in the @s$ coaches are the ones who suffer the most when they have to be seated. Thus, I believe it DOES actually act as a deterrent. My fear is that this group would get even worse without it.

I agree, but I wonder whether there is a deterrent for others on the bench. That is, are bench personnel more likely to remain quiet knowing they could cost their HC the coaching box?

Scrapper1 Mon May 21, 2012 03:37pm

I like BNR's suggestion. Lose the box for direct T's only. Keep the rule that ejects the coach after 3 indirects; but don't make him/her sit because of a knucklehead on the bench.

rockyroad Mon May 21, 2012 03:49pm

I have no sympathy for a HC who can't control his own coaching staff. If he/she can't tell their AC's to shutup, that's their problem.

Having said that, I would love to see the seatbelt rule go away. It serves no purpose that I feel is needed, and I have seen (too many times over the years) a coach get tossed because he/she stands up to yell something at a player and the official who is still mad at the coach hit them with their second T...

Texref Mon May 21, 2012 04:00pm

absolutely agree with you Jeff. I don't really have a problem with the coach continuing to coach and more often than not, that is how we enforced it where I used to live. Where I'm at now, it's a little different and I don't like adding the fuel to the fire of forcing them to sit. I like the suggestion of losing it for a direct T only though.

26 Year Gap Mon May 21, 2012 04:37pm

I haven't been involved in a game that has had the coach get tossed after losing the box yet. There was one that should have occurred, but I did not want to be the one to issue both Ts. In retrospect, I should have because it would have made the second game better. I have found that coaches tend to coach more rather than carp once they have that physical restraint put on them as a reminder that they go with another outburst. The kid dunking pre-game or a uniform T causing him to sit might be another story. It is the unsporting T that merits the loss of the box IMO, but I don't make the rules.

rockyroad Mon May 21, 2012 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 842783)
I haven't been involved in a game that has had the coach get tossed after losing the box yet. There was one that should have occurred, but I did not want to be the one to issue both Ts. In retrospect, I should have because it would have made the second game better. I have found that coaches tend to coach more rather than carp once they have that physical restraint put on them as a reminder that they go with another outburst. The kid dunking pre-game or a uniform T causing him to sit might be another story. It is the unsporting T that merits the loss of the box IMO, but I don't make the rules.

Interesting...around here we work many doubleheaders (jv and then v). Twice this past season in jv games a coach was whacked for unsporting conduct (very much deserved) and then later tossed because they were standing up yelling at a player. Neither coach was saying anything to us, was simply hollering out at a player, was issued the 2nd T for not remaining seated, and was tossed.