The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   If this happened in a high school game...? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90934-if-happened-high-school-game.html)

PSidbury Tue May 01, 2012 11:10am

If this happened in a high school game...?

In last night's playoff game, Bibby rebounds and in process loses his shoe. While shoe-less, Bibby outlets and the Knicks score on a fast break. Meanwhile, Wade picks up the opponent's shoe and tosses it off the court.
Dwyane Wade Throws Mike Bibby's Shoe Into First Row! - YouTube

For sh-- and giggles, let's pretend you are the closest ref and see it all.
What would be your action, if any, if this were to happen in a high school game?
What if Bibby's outlet pass had been intercepted, and now Bibby, on defense, is quickly leaning over to... uh, where's my shoe?

But, Ref, I saw them do it in an NBA game... (ack!)

Thanks,
Paul

JRutledge Tue May 01, 2012 11:17am

I would not care. Tie your shoe better and you will not have to worry about this at all.

Peace

tref Tue May 01, 2012 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 839727)
I would not care. Tie your shoe better and you will not have to worry about this at all.

Peace

Agreed, Wade just assisted in keeping the playing court safe :D

Raymond Tue May 01, 2012 01:30pm

The better question is what to do if the shoe is laying (lying?) in the middle of the opponent's key.

Camron Rust Tue May 01, 2012 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 839749)
The better question is what to do if the shoe is laying (lying?) in the middle of the opponent's key.

There are usually 6-8 shoes in the opponents key. :p

Raymond Tue May 01, 2012 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 839750)
There are usually 6-8 shoes in the opponents key. :p

Shut up!!! :D

At some point if no one moves the shoe we have to consider stopping action for safety reasons.

rockyroad Tue May 01, 2012 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 839751)
Shut up!!! :D

At some point if no one moves the shoe we have to consider stopping action for safety reasons.

I would probably stop play as soon as an opportunity presented itself so that the player could retrieve his/her shoe and put it back on.

cmckenna Tue May 01, 2012 03:35pm

Quote:

Call an illegal defense violation for not getting both feet out of the lane :D

APG Tue May 01, 2012 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmckenna (Post 839774)
Call an illegal defense violation for not getting both feet out of the lane :D

Unless the shoe is within arm's length of a defender and actively guarding an opponent. ;)

BillyMac Tue May 01, 2012 05:59pm

Advantage/Disadvantage ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 839751)

That point would be, wait for it, after three seconds.

BillyMac Tue May 01, 2012 06:01pm

Was Muntadhar Al-Zaidi Playing ???

Quote:

What if the shoe has legal guarding position, but it was in the restricted area, and someone trips over it?

Camron Rust Tue May 01, 2012 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 839797)
What if the shoe has legal guarding position, but it was in the restricted area, and someone trips over it?

Did it give 2 steps?

PSidbury Tue May 01, 2012 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 839727)

Okay, new scenario(s):

1) He tosses it and it hits you in the groin as you are leaving your former lead position, causing you to double-over (and for sake of arguyment, just play along that you bent over, as in the shoe caught you just right); or,

2) He throws it over-hand off the court, as in NOT within the spirit of keeping the playing court safe. (Sure, coach, I have to give the player the benefit of the doubt that he was keeping the court safe... snore.)

Interested to see what referees would do within the context of a high school game.
Debating whether the shoe had legal guarding position? Sure, it's a no brainer as partners we would gather at mid court and discuss... again, snore... :p

Namaste,
Paul

bainsey Wed May 02, 2012 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSidbury (Post 839823)
He throws it over-hand off the court, as in NOT within the spirit of keeping the playing court safe.

You have a T-worthy offense here. This comes down to intent.