The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How would you call these 2 loose ball situations? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90731-how-would-you-call-these-2-loose-ball-situations.html)

MiamiWadeCounty Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46pm

How would you call these 2 loose ball situations?

Situation 1.

Ball is loose. A1 dives for the loose ball. B1 gets in the sliding path of A1 and A1 displaces B1. Neither A1 or B1 ever has possession of the ball.

Situation 2.

Ball is loose. A1 is positioned behind B1, but A1 has a reasonably good chance of at least tapping the ball to himself or to a teammate. A1 tries to reach or tap the ball but he accidentally whacks B1 hard in the face with his hand or arm. Neither A1 or B1 ever has possession of the ball.

APG Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:10am

Situation 1:

Assuming B1 is making a play for the ball, and assuming one player isn't in a more advantageous position to play the ball than the other, I would have nothing (I'm assuming B1 went down to slide as well in this situation).
*Edit*
I actually read the play the other way around...still would have to see how the situation played out but strictly going from your scenario, it would be a foul on the sliding player.

Situation 2:

From the sounds of it, B1 is in a more advantageous position than A1 to get to the ball...thus the onus will be on A1. I'd most likely have a foul on A1

That's if I'm envisioning these plays correctly. Did you see these type of plays occur in a game?

JRutledge Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11am

Sit 1: Foul on A1 for sliding and displacing B1.

Sit 2: Foul on A1 for slapping B1 in the face.

Are you having a debate over these plays with someone?

Peace

MiamiWadeCounty Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 838438)
Did you see these type of plays occur in a game?

Well, situation 1 happened to me a twice when I was playing HS ball. I would beat the sliding opponent and the opponent would displaced me but the refs didn't call anything.

MiamiWadeCounty Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41am

Quote:

That's if I'm envisioning these plays correctly.
In Sit 1. B1 doesn't slide and he's closest to the ball than A1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 838439)
Are you having a debate over these plays with someone?

No. Just something that I wanted to be clear about.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 23, 2012 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 838436)
Situation 1.

Ball is loose. A1 dives for the loose ball. B1 gets in the sliding path of A1 and A1 displaces B1. Neither A1 or B1 ever has possession of the ball.

Situation 2.

Ball is loose. A1 is positioned behind B1, but A1 has a reasonably good chance of at least tapping the ball to himself or to a teammate. A1 tries to reach or tap the ball but he accidentally whacks B1 hard in the face with his hand or arm. Neither A1 or B1 ever has possession of the ball.

I have a foul on A1 in both cases.

When a player takes out the legs of an opponent, I have a foul 99% of the time. The only exception is when it would disadvantage the fouled team in a very obvious way....the player is making a pass to what appears to be an undefended fast break layup....and even them, i might call it depending on the game.

Raymond Mon Apr 23, 2012 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 838436)
...Ball is loose. A1 is positioned behind B1, but A1 has a reasonably good chance of at least tapping the ball to himself or to a teammate. A1 tries to reach or tap the ball but he accidentally whacks B1 hard in the face with his hand or arm. Neither A1 or B1 ever has possession of the ball.

If A1 is Metta World Peace I'm quite sure he did it by accident.

tref Mon Apr 23, 2012 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 838442)
Well, situation 1 happened to me a twice when I was playing HS ball. I would beat the sliding opponent and the opponent would displaced me but the refs didn't call anything.

When we are playing the game, many times things dont occur as we think they do. Tape dont lie for officials, coaches & players alike.

Just because the ball is loose doesnt mean its a free-for-all... usually there is still team control for someone.

truerookie Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838445)
I have a foul on A1 in both cases.

When a player takes out the legs of an opponent, I have a foul 99% of the time. The only exception is when it would disadvantage the fouled team in a very obvious way....the player is making a pass to what appears to be an undefended fast break layup....and even them, i might call it depending on the game.

Camron, it's interesting you brought up when an opponent takes out a players legs.

I officiated a play this past season where there was a loose ball and A1 took out the legs of B1.

Coach: How is that a foul?

Me: Coach A1 took out B1 legs

Coach: My player have the right to a loose ball.

Me: This is correct. He cannot take out an opponents legs in the process though. I will give the same allowance to your player as I need B1.

Glad to see a level of protection for lower extremities.

just another ref Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 838494)

Coach: How is that a foul?

Coach: My player have the right to a loose ball.

+1 Lot of variations of this.

A1 momentarily loses his dribble, but still has his body between the ball and B1, who goes through him and recovers the "loose" ball.

Coach: How can that be a foul? My guy got the ball!!

MiamiWadeCounty Thu Apr 26, 2012 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838463)
If A1 is Metta World Peace I'm quite sure he did it by accident.

Haha :)