The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Freedom of movement is a rule given right (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90499-freedom-movement-rule-given-right.html)

ref3808 Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33am

Freedom of movement is a rule given right

That's somewhat prominently printed on the IAABO pregame conference card provided to their affiliated officials. It was also part of many of the NCAA pregame conference clips that are posted on this forum.

I like the simplicity of the phrase and it's something that ought to be easily understood by players (and coaches).

Would anyone consider adding that phrase to their HS pregame? Does anyone already do so?

It seems to me that it's a much better discussion/talking point in a pregame coaches/captain's meeting than to ask if everyone is wearing a legal uniform.

APG Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:39am

Pregame? Absolutely

Captain's meeting...nope. Players will just glaze over that point.

Adam Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 836492)
That's somewhat prominently printed on the IAABO pregame conference card provided to their affiliated officials. It was also part of many of the NCAA pregame conference clips that are posted on this forum.

I like the simplicity of the phrase and it's something that ought to be easily understood by players (and coaches).

Would anyone consider adding that phrase to their HS pregame? Does anyone already do so?

It seems to me that it's a much better discussion/talking point in a pregame coaches/captain's meeting than to ask if everyone is wearing a legal uniform.

I'm going to start using this in my pregame with partners, but I'm not overly confident that it'll help in the pregame with players or coaches. If anything, it's going to set you up just as much as offering that you're going to be calling hand checks. As soon as the coach thinks you missed a foul, he now has your own words to throw at you even if it doesn't fit the situation.

Sometimes, the kids pay attention to my request to take care of their knuckleheads (it's good to see a captain talk his teammate off the ledge). Sometimes, the coaches heed my request to have their teams ready at the second horn (I've noticed a correlation anyway). But other than that, there's no point in saying anything that's not required, IMO.

truerookie Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 836497)
Sometimes, the coaches heed my request to have their teams ready at the second horn (I've noticed a correlation anyway). But other than that, there's no point in saying anything that's not required, IMO.

Snaq, I too let the coaches know lets be ready to play on the second horn.

JRutledge Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51pm

I already use it with my partners in HS pregames based on who they are. I would never say anything about rules in a pregame with the captains as it relates to what we call during the game as HS coaches are also involved in those meetings. It is just a term, it does not mean you cannot make the point by only this term. This is a term college officials have been familiar with for some time already, HS officials might not be so familiar. But there are already things that can be discussed with the same premise in HS language or that HS officials have already heard.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Apr 09, 2012 05:20pm

Speaking Captain ??? Number ??? Starting ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836516)
I too let the coaches know lets be ready to play on the second horn.

Me too. Right after I tell them that it's the black line all the way around.

truerookie Tue Apr 10, 2012 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 836571)
Me too. Right after I tell them that it's the black line all the way around.

I get it. I let them know this because if their team is not at the spot for the throw in or hustling to the spot. I place the ball on the floor. RPP..

Adam Tue Apr 10, 2012 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836665)
I get it. I let them know this because if their team is not at the spot for the throw in or hustling to the spot. I place the ball on the floor. RPP..

I don't tell the players, I only tell the coaches; and it's the only thing for which I've noticed any positive correlation. And even then, it's only really useful for the JV guys (the varsity coaches all know.)

truerookie Tue Apr 10, 2012 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 836676)
I don't tell the players, I only tell the coaches; and it's the only thing for which I've noticed any positive correlation. And even then, it's only really useful for the JV guys (the varsity coaches all know.)

I understood that..

Adam Tue Apr 10, 2012 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836678)
I understood that..

Sorry, that was in response to Billy's goofball answer.

Tio Tue Apr 10, 2012 01:32pm

Freedom of movement should always come up in the pregame and we should strive to allow athletes to make athletic plays vs. weightroom plays.

IMO - we should have a high awareness for hands on the dribbler and cutters for any contact that affects RSBQ (Rythm, speed, balance or quickness).

BillyMac Tue Apr 10, 2012 05:43pm

Anybody Wearing Contacts ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 836680)
Sorry, that was in response to Billy's goofball answer.

Which is my response to some goofball pregame (coaches and captains) meetings that we have here in my little corner of Connecticut. I'm not proud of these, it just is what it is.