The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

OT - the way it was

In the current annual baseball thread, I mentioned two off topic items. One was that I once shook hands with Bobby Hull and the other that I once "worked" with Billy Williams of the Cubs. Both occurred back in the 60s when pro athletes weren't paid a bazillion dollars and sometimes had to work in the off-season to support their families - that's how it was back then.

Bobby was doing a promotion for the company for which my dad worked. It was a wholesale food distributor and Bobby would make appearances at locally owned grocery stores and sign autographs. He would also promote the brands of canned goods distributed by my dad's company. My dad took me along one day on his route and Bobby was at one of the stores we visited. My dad introduced us and I got to shake hands with Bobby. I was a huge fan of his and it meant a lot to me.

As to Billy Williams, we both worked at a huge car dealership in the Chicago suburbs. He worked in the fall and winter there selling cars. I worked after school and weekends in their mail room (they were one of the first car dealerships to use a direct mailer program). Sometimes Billy and I would eat lunch together in the lunchroom and we would talk baseball. We would tease each other because I was a big White Sox fan. He really was a nice guy and he sold a lot of cars, many because he was a "celebrity".

Did any of you guys ever have a "non-sports" meeting with a pro athlete?
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I have coached against Bill Lambier.

I have watched many Rock games with Pinball.

Went to school with the Gretzkys.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Once we were car shopping and our trade-in had the paint coming off the roof. The dealer brought out some guy to have a look at it who was somehow involved the car painting business. (or something) We were introduced, and the name momentarily didn't register with me, until the guy extended his left hand.........because he didn't have a right hand.

It was Tom Dempsey.

How many know who that is?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It was Tom Dempsey. How many know who that is?
63 yard field goal by kicker Tom Dempsey (NFL Record) - YouTube
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 04:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Oh yeah - I once went to a party at Jerry Colangelo's house back in the early 60s. I went to HS with his sister, Rosemary, and she threw the party. Jerry just happened to be there at the time. I didn't see him dance, though.

Plus, Dick Butkis' two sisters were in my HS class (they are twins). I saw him come pick them up after school a few times. He was the scariest guy I ever saw.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. Basketball ...

As a teenager, I once met Bob Cousy. He was at our local Bradlees department store making an appearence to drum up business for his Bob Cousy sneakers. I wore his Mr. Basketball sneakers until I upgraded to Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 08:17am.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 08:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I wore his Mr. Basketball sneakers until I upgraded to Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars.
I wore PF Flyers. The nerds in our school wore Keds.

BTW - when I was in our park district's baseball program (we didn't have "official" Little League), Pete Ward of the White Sox once came to our field to do a hitting demonstration. One of the other 12 year olds threw him a pitch and Ward hit it totally out of the park (not really a big deal), over the highway and through a gas station window - on the fly! That was a big deal. We guesstimated it was well over 400 feet, maybe even over 450.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Me and my dad went fishing with Ken Griffey Sr. about 18 years ago up at Lake Erie for a weekend. Dad's basketball partner at the time was a good friend with Griffey and had gotten him to do a brief, less than two years, stint reffing basketball.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:11pm
Back from the DL

Embedded for your pleasure

Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:15pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I worked after school and weekends in their mail room (they were one of the first car dealerships to use a direct mailer program).
All the talk about brushes with greatness, and THIS is the line that intrigues me most.

Among other parts of my day job, I support an online sales website, so the pioneering of direct mail -- the precursor -- intrigues me. Mark, what did the dealership sell via mail? I can't imagine cars were on the menu.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
All the talk about brushes with greatness, and THIS is the line that intrigues me most.

Among other parts of my day job, I support an online sales website, so the pioneering of direct mail -- the precursor -- intrigues me. Mark, what did the dealership sell via mail? I can't imagine cars were on the menu.
It was a monthly newsletter to all their customers. Each newsletter was specific to that customer, i.e.: letting them know when it was about time to trade, keeping track of when they might have a kid who was now old enough to get a car, etc. This was based on information they gathered when they first dealt with the customer. My stepfather owned an ad agency and he developed this program and the car dealer (Bauer Buick in Harvey, Illinois) was a client of his. He got me the mailroom job. After a short time of using this program, he got together with the dealership owner and they found some IBM computer dudes to computerize the program (remember, this was in the late 60s) and sell it to car dealerships across the nation. The computer dudes were living in Portland and in order to form the company properly, my family moved here. The company is Poorman-Douglas Corporation, named after the two computer guys.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:35am
I got a Basketball Jones!

I once shook hands with J. Dallas Shirley. Haven't washed that hand since. My oldest brother roomed with Ronnie Nunn in college. As a point guard, he practiced great ref mechanics. My 2nd oldest brother roomed with the original Walt Szczerbiak, and, I can spell his name without looking it up. His son goes by 'Wally' for simplicity. Had the pleasure of watching young John Guthrie as assistant coach of my brothers' team before he escaped to Univ Georgia and thence to become SEC Head of Basketball officials.
Sorta fortuitous I got into officiating, albeit late in life. Can't help but think destiny finally found me .
Those of you who know me may justifiably think differently!!!

Happy Easter and Pesach
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 06:57am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had an "In" as a young kid, and met many that I couldn't appreciate fully until later in life - Meadowlark Lemon, Curly Neal, Moses Malone, Clyde Frazier, and baseball ump Frank Pulli were my favorites. Once at 13 or 14, I even had my picture taken at the table at the Phila, Spectrum before a game with famed NBA referee Mendy Rudolph. Who knew?

As for now....well, I've met and shook hands with the last three Presidents (not sports related, but I am honored in that regard).
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:35am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As for now....well, I've met and shook hands with the last three Presidents (not sports related, but I am honored in that regard).
I had dinner a few times with Jimmy Carter and my parents told me that just before my fourth birthday, I had dinner with Adlai Stevenson. I had an uncle who was personal friends with him and he threw a fund-raising dinner for him a few months before his first presidential election. Of course my family attended and the then-governor came over to our table, shook my hand and patted me on the head.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 07:48pm
C'mon man!!

I met Karl Malone at a truck stop once. I guess he liked to do a little trucking. He was there with his big rig and he took a minute to sign some baseball caps, nice guy.