The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Handling of Technical Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90440-handling-technical-foul.html)

APG Thu Apr 05, 2012 07:37pm

Handling of Technical Foul

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jm4ZkmTCFSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How do we feel about how the calling official handled the coach after issuing the technical foul?

JRutledge Thu Apr 05, 2012 07:40pm

Based on the rules and procedures at the NCAA level, I have no problem what so ever with this T. And if it is true that he had been warned, then he did not seem to believe the officials when he was warned. I also have no problem with the officials (Hess??) walking him back to the box and understanding he is going to vent a little.

Peace

APG Thu Apr 05, 2012 08:03pm

I can't comment on what the coach was T'd up for...

Personally, I whack a coach, I'm walking away from him. I just T'd him up...why am I going to let a coach vent for unsporting conduct which he committed himself? I think nothing good can occur from walking the coach back to the box in this situation.

JRutledge Thu Apr 05, 2012 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835974)
I can't comment on what the coach was T'd up for...

Personally, I whack a coach, I'm walking away from him. I just T'd him up...why am I going to let a coach vent for unsporting conduct which he committed himself? I think nothing good can occur from walking the coach back to the box in this situation.

It is unclear to me that the official that was at the table was the official that called the T.

Peace

APG Thu Apr 05, 2012 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 835975)
It is unclear to me that the official that was at the table was the official that called the T.

Peace

Ahh, didn't even think about that...that may be true as well

JRutledge Thu Apr 05, 2012 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835979)
Ahh, didn't even think about that...that may be true as well

It looks like it is the same official when I looked at it again, but you know what they say about official? ;)

Peace

brainbrian Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835974)
why am I going to let a coach vent for unsporting conduct which he committed himself? I think nothing good can occur from walking the coach back to the box in this situation.

The coach is at mid-court, he is out of his coaching box. You have to do something with him at this point. You have to either T him again or get him back to his box. I think walking him back to his box was best in this case... and then walking away. You can't walk away and leave him at half-court, then you'll have the other coach on you too.

JetMetFan Fri Apr 06, 2012 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 835969)
Based on the rules and procedures at the NCAA level, I have no problem what so ever with this T. And if it is true that he had been warned, then he did not seem to believe the officials when he was warned. I also have no problem with the officials (Hess??) walking him back to the box and understanding he is going to vent a little.

Peace

One other thing: at least if you walk him back to the box - or at least walk him towards it - he has to follow you if he wants to vent. That way you're getting him to go where he needs to be.

canuckrefguy Fri Apr 06, 2012 01:20am

Watched it - 99.9% sure the guy that whacked him is the one who was at the table and walked RP back to his box.

I thought he handled it very well. He avoided face-to-face, eye contact, let him vent a bit, and gently ushered him back to a reasonable spot.

Only thing (and it's verrrry minor) - is I might give my partner a chance to finish reporting and whack the coach himself, seeing as how he's closest and can clearly see him out of the box being an a$$.

But I also have no problem with the old "backing up my partner" T - I would have just let my partner finish reporting first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 836006)
One other thing: at least if you walk him back to the box - or at least walk him towards it - he has to follow you if he wants to vent. That way you're getting him to go where he needs to be.

Great point!

ref3808 Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14am

Now Coach Pitino, let's not create a situation that will force you to apologize for another indiscretion committed a few minutes ago.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:50am

Im all for having our partners back, but let him get his own front!
Due to the angle I cant see how far onto the court RP is.
Maybe, just maybe, the calling official would've taken care of his business if he got to complete his presentation. Maybe he didnt like the call & was going to grant RP a pass based on the quality of that call.

Personally I hate whacking someone after I kick a call, but sometimes the unsporting act is so egregious we cannot ignore it even if they have a valid point.

Walking him back was the only resort as the shoe fly shoe mechanic wasnt working. But I'm wondering why Hess went all the way to the table after assessing the T? He kinda threw himself into the fire.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:32pm

Situational. Depending on the crew, and who called it, and what a partner'(s) history is in this game, maybe another official could recognize him about to leave the box again and come at the official at the table, and cut him off and do what Hess did here, which was walk him back to the box - well, IMO, by the way.

Tio Mon Apr 09, 2012 01:46pm

I have no problem with the T as long as this followed proper procedure of bench decorum (coaching box rules) and that the coach received a warning.
previously.

What I do not like is that the lead official is making the call at the other end of the court. The T and C both have a better view of the action. Was the crew on the same page in terms of enforcing bench decorum? What did they agree to in the pregame? Then I do not like the walk back to the coach and giving him the "stay put" gesture. This gesture only inflamed the situation more. Karl Hess can get away with this because of his experience. Most officials cannot especially given Pitino's legend status in the game.

You have to give Karl credit for sticking him though. He was clearly on the floor waving off the crew.

Raymond Mon Apr 09, 2012 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 836536)
I have no problem with the T as long as this followed proper procedure of bench decorum (coaching box rules) and that the coach received a warning.
previously.

What I do not like is that the lead official is making the call at the other end of the court. The T and C both have a better view of the action. Was the crew on the same page in terms of enforcing bench decorum? What did they agree to in the pregame? Then I do not like the walk back to the coach and giving him the "stay put" gesture. This gesture only inflamed the situation more. Karl Hess can get away with this because of his experience. Most officials cannot especially given Pitino's legend status in the game.

You have to give Karl credit for sticking him though. He was clearly on the floor waving off the crew.

I have no problem with Hess walking the coach back to the box and communicating (verbally or non-verbally) that he needs to stay within the box. Leaves no doubt as to the expectations for the rest of the game.

Tio Tue Apr 10, 2012 01:40pm

I disagree, but hey, there is no right way to manage this.

What if Hess walks back to Pitino and he goes nuts and we have to toss him? I think we go looking for trouble if we head over there during an extremely emotional situation. If we ever do have to toss the coach, IMO it is always best that a different crew member issue the second T.