The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block or charge? You make the call. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90351-block-charge-you-make-call.html)

JetMetFan Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:55pm

Block or charge? You make the call.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SdPtl9Z8-Bw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

canuckrefguy Sat Mar 31, 2012 01:08pm

Late. Block. Give C first crack, though.

7IronRef Sat Mar 31, 2012 01:16pm

I'll give the L the benefit of the doubt. This is a difficult angle, it looks like the defender took the contact more on the left side rather than textbook torso to torso.

I wish the L had been a little more patient. I think it would have been fine for the L to give the C the first crack at it given that the L was ball watching and the drive started in the C's primary. You can see the L rotate then watch the ball for the entire play. Slower whistle would not have hurt on this play.

Adam Sat Mar 31, 2012 01:35pm

I've got a PC here. I don't see what the L saw, though. Maybe she was sliding, but she was in position the whole time.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 31, 2012 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 835089)
I've got a PC here. I don't see what the L saw, though. Maybe she was sliding, but she was in position the whole time.

Do you mean the C?

JRutledge Sat Mar 31, 2012 02:52pm

I have a PC foul. Unless the angle does not show the defender sliding over while the player was going airborne, then I want to know what the defender did wrong?

Peace

Adam Sat Mar 31, 2012 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 835092)
Do you mean the C?

No, I was talking about the L since the L made the call.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 31, 2012 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 835110)
No, I was talking about the L since the L made the call.

I was wondering because you wrote "she" and the C was female while the L was male.

Adam Sat Mar 31, 2012 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 835113)
I was wondering because you wrote "she" and the C was female while the L was male.

I was talking about the defender.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 31, 2012 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 835114)
I was talking about the defender.

Ahhh. I get it now :)

truerookie Sat Mar 31, 2012 04:36pm

There are dicussions here about staying in your PCA. This call (type) really turn my beard hair gray.:mad: There is no reason for the lead to have a darn whistle on this play. Makes no sense!!!

canuckrefguy Sat Mar 31, 2012 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 835100)
I have a PC foul. Unless the angle does not show the defender sliding over while the player was going airborne, then I want to know what the defender did wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 835089)

Bang-bang play - but she slid in at the last split-second, I thought.

SCalScoreKeeper Sat Mar 31, 2012 05:11pm

I had a PC foul on this one!

APG Sat Mar 31, 2012 05:26pm

If the lead is going to come in on this play, he's has got to have a lot better cadence with his whistle. He didn't even allow the C to make a decision on the call. And he very well may have gotten the call wrong...hard to determine the lateral movement with the angle in the clip.

bainsey Sat Mar 31, 2012 05:44pm

Charge.

Adam Sat Mar 31, 2012 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 835123)

The left foot looks like it might be moving, but she already had LGP and I don't think her body is moving into the shooter.

JRutledge Sat Mar 31, 2012 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 835123)

If that is the case, it must have been so slight that no one could tell. I always give the benefit of the doubt to the defense. No one is going to be perfectly still.

Peace

Adam Sat Mar 31, 2012 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrutledge (Post 835130)
if that is the case, it must have been so slight that no one could tell. I always give the benefit of the doubt to the defense. No one is going to be perfectly still.

Peace

+1

Camron Rust Sat Mar 31, 2012 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 835088)
I'll give the L the benefit of the doubt. This is a difficult angle, it looks like the defender took the contact more on the left side rather than textbook torso to torso.

There is no part of the rule that says that has any relevance. If the defender is in the path and the shooter diverts to the side just a bit such that the contact is off center, that doesn't negate LGP.

rsox34 Sat Mar 31, 2012 07:49pm

The lead should never have made this call out of his PCA and he was wrong--it should have been a player control foul and the C should have called it!

Texas Aggie Sat Mar 31, 2012 08:06pm

Charge, and frankly, not that close. However, the camera has a better angle than either C or L. C in their regular position would be straightlined, so L taking this call is fine, even though he doesn't have a much better angle.

Before anyone says block, please describe what the defender did that was illegal.

JetMetFan Sun Apr 01, 2012 01:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 835137)
C in their regular position would be straightlined, so L taking this call is fine, even though he doesn't have a much better angle.

Aggie, I'll respectfully disagree. That play is in the C's primary and she's in the correct position. She really doesn't appear to be straightlined. Maybe the contact surprised her but if it did, it shouldn't have because she should have anticipated the play if not the contact.

On another front: what gets me is the C didn't even blow her whistle. Yes, the L came in fast when he shouldn't have but the C didn't even pull the trigger. Again, maybe it was a case of being surprised by the contact.

constable Sun Apr 01, 2012 02:35am

I've got a charge. I've looked at it several times and can't see anything but.

Raymond Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:23am

Again, a Lead who fails to close down and pinch the paint and then makes an incorrect block/charge call. :mad:

NoFussRef Sun Apr 01, 2012 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsox34 (Post 835134)
The lead should never have made this call out of his PCA and he was wrong--it should have been a player control foul and the C should have called it!

Agreed.

Perhaps the L was so quick with his whistle and preliminary signal, the C chose to withhold (swallow) his/her own.

JetMetFan Sun Apr 01, 2012 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 835202)
Again, a Lead who fails to close down and pinch the paint and then makes an incorrect block/charge call. :mad:

BNR I don't think pinching the paint is an issue. To me, you pinch the paint to get a good look at a drive coming down the lane. This play was still very much in the C's PCA.

Raymond Sun Apr 01, 2012 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 835299)
BNR I don't think pinching the paint is an issue. To me, you pinch the paint to get a good look at a drive coming down the lane. This play was still very much in the C's PCA.

It's just that we've recently had 2 plays posted where the Lead got a block/charge wrong and in both cases the Lead was way out of postion to even get a good look as a secondary on the play.

JetMetFan Sun Apr 01, 2012 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 835301)
It's just that we've recently had 2 plays posted where the Lead got a block/charge wrong and in both cases the Lead was way out of postion to even get a good look as a secondary on the play.

True, but this to me is a "leave it alone because it's right in front of the C" issue more than a a help issue. The C shouldn't need help on this.

Raymond Mon Apr 02, 2012 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 835305)
True, but this to me is a "leave it alone because it's right in front of the C" issue more than a a help issue. The C shouldn't need help on this.

She shouldn't, but if she did, the Lead is in no position to give legitimate help. He's just guessing b/c he never got himself back over to where he could see the play.

When I watch these clips and I feel the officials got the play wrong the next thing I do is replay it to see where the officials (the entire crew) were positioned. A vast majority of the time I find incorrect calls are accompanied by incorrect positioning.

fullor30 Mon Apr 02, 2012 09:54am

Off topic, but female ref was gorgeous, slim New York runway model material.

That said, I think she was over her head with this game

brainbrian Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13am

Almost seems like on the whistle the C starts heading the other direction thinking it's going to be a charge. It's hard to say though and that maybe assuming too much.

But also in the case of bodies on the floor I believe the officials should at least freeze or even close down as opposed to immediately heading the other way.

doubleringer Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 835122)
There are dicussions here about staying in your PCA. This call (type) really turn my beard hair gray.:mad: There is no reason for the lead to have a darn whistle on this play. Makes no sense!!!

I think, regardless of this should have been a PC or a block, that truerookie hit it on the head. The bigger learning experience in this video is that any whistle on this play should have come from C. If L is going to come in on this one, it should be with a very patient whistle after giving C every opportunity to call something on the play.

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 835086)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SdPtl9Z8-Bw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a PC from that angle.

C missed making a needed call.

L stretched and got it wrong.

doubleringer Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 835349)
This is a PC from that angle.

C missed making a needed call.

L stretched and got it wrong.

I'm not sure that C missed it as much as C didn't get a chance to put a whistle on it because L was so quick to come across? What do you think?

tref Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleringer (Post 835360)
I'm not sure that C missed it as much as C didn't get a chance to put a whistle on it because L was so quick to come across? What do you think?

Although the L incorrectly blew upon contact, the C could still come over the top & take their call.

I think the biggest issue here is, we dont need a patient whistle on b/c plays in our PCA. What is the C waiting for? This is definitely not a play-on!

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41am

Quote:

Maybe. If that happens, put sound into your whistle, and signal a PC. That will remove some of the injustice. :p

JetMetFan Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:57am

Quote:

Possibly, but I think we would've all felt better if the C had at least seemed like she was going to make a call. That's as much of an issue as L being quick on the draw. As TRef said she needs to put a whistle on that play - even if it seems late - because it's in her PCA and it definitely wasn't incidental contact.

BTW - since I'm a geek I went back to my file to see the L's reaction time. It was less than a half-second. I don't know how that compares to calls we make normally but it tells me the L was ball-watching (which we can see) and had it in his mind that he was putting a whistle on it at any sign of contact.

fullor30 Mon Apr 02, 2012 06:49pm

Weird looking block call I might add, maybe he was surprised although quick whistle says otherwise

Toren Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:37pm

I think the camera angle is a bit inconclusive. On first viewing i thought the defenders legs were wider than her shoulders and then I thought she took the contact in the leg, so I had a block.

On second viewing, it looked more like a PC, her legs looked to be shoulder width and not further.

But the one thing I can say for certain, the C should have blown and had a call. And the L, could have delayed his call a little if he really felt he needed to get it from across the paint.

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 835494)
On second viewing, it looked more like a PC, her legs looked to be shoulder width and not further.

The contact took place with the torso, not the legs, at least not the majority of the contact. That should not matter. The only issue should be if the defender slid over and that did not appear to be the case from my observation.

Peace

Toren Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 835495)
The contact took place with the torso, not the legs, at least not the majority of the contact. That should not matter. The only issue should be if the defender slid over and that did not appear to be the case from my observation.

Peace

My bad, I should have been clearer on that second statement. On second viewing, it looked more like a PC, her legs looked to be shoulder width and not further and she took the contact in the torso.