The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Call on the court = Held ball. Thoughts? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90333-call-court-held-ball-thoughts.html)

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:17pm

Call on the court = Held ball. Thoughts?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZW8D476XusU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:26pm

I don't see a held ball at all. It appears to me that he got hit on the arm on the way up.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:29pm

What I found interesting is the T made the call. It seemed like one of those "something strange just happened here so I need to blow my whistle" situations.

APG Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 835000)
I don't see a held ball at all. It appears to me that he got hit on the arm on the way up.

That's what I thought at first glance.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 835005)
That's what I thought at first glance.

That was my thought as well which is why the C's silence didn't make sense to me since he's responsible for curl plays.

And...it didn't cause any problems but the L made the famed "good block" signal right before the whistle came from the T.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 30, 2012 08:51pm

It appears like the defender may have hit the ball initially. It wasn't clear that there was a foul (from this angle). I'd call it a blocked shot.

Not a held ball, and not a travel. Legal play. The trail called the reaction and not the play. The lead knew the ball was hit (as indicated by his unauthorized signal) and knew it couldn't be a travel since the ball was knocked lose by the defense.

twocentsworth Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24pm

incidental contact on the shooter on the initial attempt...this is a travel!

Nevadaref Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 835028)
incidental contact on the shooter on the initial attempt...this is a travel!

I hope that this post is made in jest because it is wrong by rule once the ball come free, and I'm not even talking about a possible foul.

bainsey Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:47pm

It appeared to me that defender blocked the shot with his arm. What I can't tell, due to the angle, is whether the shooter was off his feet at the time of block. If so, held ball. If not, legal play.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 31, 2012 01:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 835038)
It appeared to me that defender blocked the shot with his arm. What I can't tell, due to the angle, is whether the shooter was off his feet at the time of block. If so, held ball. If not, legal play.

Assume the shooter was off his feet....how do you get to a held ball when the ball is knocked out of the shooters hands by the defense?

bainsey Sat Mar 31, 2012 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 835048)
...how do you get to a held ball when the ball is knocked out of the shooters hands by the defense?

I had the blocked shot before the ball became loose: Blue-12 went up (though I'm not sure if he actually left his feet), white-12 blocked the ball with his arm, blue-12 comes "back down," THEN the ball got knocked loose.

Again, as I see it, whether blue-12 left his feet at all is what separates this between a held ball and legal play.

JRutledge Sat Mar 31, 2012 02:55pm

It looks like a foul on the arm. But I do not see how they came to the conclusion of the held ball but it looked funny.

Peace

HawkeyeCubP Sat Mar 31, 2012 05:46pm

If that first move is a stepthrough, and not a try, a defender's hand simply touching the ball doesn't constitute a held ball. IMO, this is a bad call by the T, an unnecessary signal by the L who doesn't have any kind of clear look at the offensive player's arm getting raked/hit, not a travel, and not a held ball. Pretty much all bad things.

Sharpshooternes Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:09am

Should have called the block on white 20 which would have avoided the whole situation.

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48am

The C was the only one that got the play right.

Stay away from unauthorized signals!

And the T got the play wrong.