The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cartmell Capt meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90283-cartmell-capt-meeting.html)

tref Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:32pm

Cartmell Capt meeting

http://api.smugmug.com/services/embe...425&height=318

Andy Wed Mar 28, 2012 02:39pm

Thanks for posting these...I enjoyed them.

Interesting to me how all four of the pregame conferences covered basically the same topics with some difference in verbiage. I'm wondering if this was a PAC-12 or NCAA mandate for the pre-game conference.

tref Wed Mar 28, 2012 03:23pm

Not a problem... I found it interesting that nobody asked for speaking captains numbers & when the partners were asked if they had anything, not one went into their own captains meeting.

Adam Wed Mar 28, 2012 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834683)
Not a problem... I found it interesting that nobody asked for speaking captains numbers & when the partners were asked if they had anything, not one went into their own captains meeting.

:D

I think it's time to resurrect That Guy's captains' meeting.

rockyroad Wed Mar 28, 2012 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834683)

Do you say different things when you are not the R? I never add anything other than "Good luck" or "Have fun".

tref Wed Mar 28, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 834685)
Do you say different things when you are not the R? I never add anything other than "Good luck" or "Have fun".

Same here, I dont assume that the R forgot something because he didn't mention it.

Cant stand it when I go through my brief meeting (coaches &/or capts) and ask if my partners have something, then they go on twice as long as I did.

Adam Wed Mar 28, 2012 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 834685)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834686)
Same here, I dont assume that the R forgot something because he didn't mention it.

Cant stand it when I go through my brief meeting (coaches &/or capts) and ask if my partners have something, then they go on twice as long as I did.

Had a few partners decide I must have forgotten some stuff; such as speaking captains, black lines, hand check reminders, or telling them that we'll talk them out of stuff if they listen.

Toren Wed Mar 28, 2012 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834700)
Had a few partners decide I must have forgotten some stuff; such as speaking captains, black lines, hand check reminders, or telling them that we'll talk them out of stuff if they listen.

I'm one of the worst at hiding my expression when my partners do this, I actually found myself rolling my eyes earlier this year. I thought I better cut that out, I never know who may be watching.

Adam Wed Mar 28, 2012 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 834702)
I'm one of the worst at hiding my expression when my partners do this, I actually found myself rolling my eyes earlier this year. I thought I better cut that out, I never know who may be watching.

When a new guy does it, I chalk it up to him being new. When someone with 5 or more years does it, I get annoyed. I'm new enough in my area that I don't say anything, though. It's not worth the potential political issues. Now, I take it as an opportunity to do an experiment.

Is "I need speaking captains" guy a markedly worse official?

rockyroad Wed Mar 28, 2012 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834700)

I had one guy pull that this season...I interrupted him with "Thanks, partner. Have a fun game tonight guys." and then I walked away.

Made for a few interesting moments in the locker room at half time.

Adam Wed Mar 28, 2012 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 834719)
I had one guy pull that this season...I interrupted him with "Thanks, partner. Have a fun game tonight guys." and then I walked away.

Made for a few interesting moments in the locker room at half time.

"Listen to us guys, we'll talk you out of the lane....."? Was that it?

icallfouls Wed Mar 28, 2012 09:38pm

partners and captains meetings

Treat it like the military, don't ask, don't tell. In other words, if you don't want your partner to add anything, don't open the door for them to do so.

I have from on ocassion, during pregame, told my partner, I will ask you during captain's meeting if you have anything to add, but have said to partners that the appropriate response is "no"

Raymond Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 834722)
Treat it like the military, don't ask, don't tell. In other words, if you don't want your partner to add anything, don't open the door for them to do so.

I have from on ocassion, during pregame, told my partner, I will ask you during captain's meeting if you have anything to add, but have said to partners that the appropriate response is "no"

Then why ask?

zm1283 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26pm

I don't ask my partner(s) to give input. If I need them to say something, I will tell them before the game. Likewise, I don't talk during their meetings.

I have had very few partners step in and start talking without me asking them to. The one I remember was a veteran that started asking about speaking captains when I didn't. (I never do) Nowadays, if I haven't worked with a guy, I will tell him that I don't get speaking captains and not to worry about it.

Rich Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34pm

It's easy for me. I generally don't listen to my partner's captain's meeting spiel. :D