The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   N.C. vs. Ohio (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90207-n-c-vs-ohio.html)

Toren Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:07pm

N.C. vs. Ohio

There was a throw in play for N.C. during the overtime. I think it was about 1:40 or so left on the clock. There was a foul committed by N.C. and Ohio shot bonus free throws.

Is the college rule different than high school in this respect?

Also, there was an unusual travel that was missed with about :50 seconds left in overtime. Ohio player jumps to take a jump shot, decides against it and throws the ball to the floor. Then recovers it. Should have been a travel, since his pivot foot clearly left the floor before the ball did to begin a dribble.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:12pm

It's most definitely the same rule, remember the summer full of discussions we had :confused:

And definitely a missed travel also.

Toren Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 833983)
It's most definitely the same rule, remember the summer full of discussions we had :confused:

And definitely a missed travel also. No one on this crew can be working next weekend.

I thought so, but when the Sweet 16 crew does it and no one is saying anything, it made me doubt myself. :confused:

DrPete Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:18pm

I didn't see Coach Roy Williams complaining ..... so I thought the rule was different for NCAA. Even the all knowing announcers didn't comment on that. They did say that the Ohio player was lucky that he was not called for traveling on a later play.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 833986)
I thought so, but when the Sweet 16 crew does it and no one is saying anything, it made me doubt myself. :confused:

You mean "no one" as in the announcers? That's funny :)

JRutledge Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 833976)

Where do you think the high school rule came from?

Peace

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 833993)

Peace

Shoot, we have Billy Mac trying to have discussions about 30 year-old rules and we have officials who can't even remember the biggest discussion of last summer...LOL

Toren Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 833993)

Peace

Umm, whoever decides that kind of stuff :D

Toren Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 833992)
You mean "no one" as in the announcers? That's funny :)

I actually meant no one as in none of the three officials. I could care less about the announcers.

MathReferee Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 833983)

And definitely a missed travel also.

Anyway the UNC player hit the ball after the "release". When I saw the play, I just thought that since he didn't call it that the UNC player must have touched it.

BillyMac Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:32am

Unforgettable ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 833997)
We have Billy Mac trying to have discussions about 30 year-old rules and we have officials who can't even remember the biggest discussion of last summer.

It's the short term memory that goes first. My high school biology teacher, Miss Parente, taught us that back in 1967. Now, where are my car keys?

billyu2 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:01pm

Throw in ended?

[QUOTE=Toren;833976]There was a throw in play for N.C. during the overtime. I think it was about 1:40 or so left on the clock. There was a foul committed by N.C. and Ohio shot bonus free throws.

I remember the play but it could be the official felt the defender from Ohio touched the ball, ending the throw-in, just before the contact by Zeller of NC. This play was almost identical to the one I had in the double OT game a couple of weeks ago except the offensive player contacted the defender before the ball was touched.

BktBallRef Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 834117)
I remember the play but it could be the official felt the defender from Ohio touched the ball, ending the throw-in, just before the contact by Zeller of NC.

The touch by the defense ended the throw-in. So what?

Nevadaref Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:36pm

Quote:

I remember the play but it could be the official felt the defender from Ohio touched the ball, ending the throw-in, just before the contact by Zeller of NC. This play was almost identical to the one I had in the double OT game a couple of weeks ago except the offensive player contacted the defender before the ball was touched.

Wow, I hope that you go take another look at the rule, since you think that who touches the ball first makes a difference for a team control foul.
You are totally messed up on this.

Adam Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:37pm

Quote:

When does team control end?