The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Is how one of the insturctors at the Camp im in described the art of officiating. Talk about a great time. Tongiht was my first night of a camp. EVER! IT was great. The instructors were great, the play was fastand moving and alot sloppier than anything I was ever used to seeing! And I had my first no question no hesitation tech too. Kid missed a shot yelled **** and hit his fist on the back wall. No hesitation Whistle went back in the mouth BAM!

BigWhistle was one of my evaluators. Him and his sidekick... LOL I think I learned more from those two guys than i did from an ex NBA guy on the other court. They just have a laid back way of telling you what you did wrong and how to fix it and they kid around with ya at the same time. Not to say I didnt learn anything from those other guys.

ANyway- im loving this camp experince. I'm eatin up anything I can get from it.

John
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Whistle went back in the mouth BAM!

Why was the whistle out of your mouth?

Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Perverted Sex, Charles Mason.... (camp experience) Is how one of the instructors at the Camp I'm in described the art of officiating. Talk about a great time.
John
Is this camp being held in a prison? I'll pass. :-)

Z
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 09:12am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Who's Charles Mason?
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Manson... sorry
the whistle was out of my mouth because i had just made my verbal call. Anytime I blow my whistle i drop my whistle a few secodns aftewords . Just a habit
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

the whistle was out of my mouth because i had just made my verbal call. Anytime I blow my whistle i drop my whistle a few secodns aftewords . Just a habit
There's no problem with that habit, ace, but from your original post, it doesn't sound like you made a call. All you said was that the player missed the shot. Was there a foul on the play? Or was it blocked out of bounds?

If it was simply missed and rebounded, then most of us would envision the whistle remaining in your mouth, that's all.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm still panting with impatience to figure out what Charles Manson and perverted sex have to do with refereeing. Has your camp speaker figured out how to get more people interested in officiating?!
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is there anything natural about perveted sex?
Is there anything natural about charels manson?
Is there anything natural about officiating? (How many do you see walking down the street with the fist in the air, or silent counting out with thier hands?) that was the point he was getting at.

The call was deflected rebound out of bounds. Kid finished running out of bounds hit the wall behind the baseline. I just called the color of who was getting the ball when I needed to Whack him.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Is there anything natural about perveted sex?
Is there anything natural about charels manson?
Is there anything natural about officiating? (How many do you see walking down the street with the fist in the air, or silent counting out with thier hands?) that was the point he was getting at.
I see. Nothing natural about not caring who wins. But I'd rather compare that to, say, monogamous sex than perverted. I mean a passion for fair play isn't natural, but it's better than natural, not worse. Rather than thinking of it as something spoiled, I'd like to see it as mature, sophisticated, civilized. Is that just delusions of grandeur? I hope not!
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Well maybe i'm explaining it the wrong way but it sure made sense the other night.

Last night was a better night of camp. Got alot fixed from the first night. ALOT! No more shaking my head on foul calls (Dont ask where I got it) I got my hand up straight. And yes bigwhistle i even got my count to slow down a whole lot. I know you were on court one last night so you prolly didnt see much on 2.

Whew. 2nd set of games was intense. And I mean INTENSE! Tied ball game when i got in thiere with 5 mintues to go. We let them play but they started gettin too rough. It was a good ball game and I felt really good about it walking off the court. We went back to the main gym and did what they call situations. Shirts and skins. 30 seconds on the clock looser of the coin toss is down by one with the ball. Goal is to find a winner. stopped clock both teams in bonus - 3 away from double bonus. We rotated out in 2 man crews for each situation. It made each whistle mean something and i found it really helped me sharpen my mechanics and my view of calling the game. Its like you had to fast forward in your mind the whole game process. I plan on going back next year and hitting up some more camps that I can find that cater to 2 man mechnaics.

Tongihts gunna be a fun night. Crash course in 3 man which i have some understanding and knowledge in (purely from watching/reading) with college level play. So it'll be interesting.

JA
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 07:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb ... makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Well maybe i'm explaining it the wrong way but it sure made sense the other night.

Masochist: Beat me, beat me!
Sadist : No.

Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

hahaha- im glad it makes since you to mick. I dont feel alone. Well they were 20 some odd other guys who got it too.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 05:55am
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
hahaha- im glad it makes since you to mick. I dont feel alone. Well they were 20 some odd other guys who got it too.
Yeah, normal people wouldn't be reffin'.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

It was John Milstead that said it. He's a great speaker. A really good referee and boy he's got some funny stories to tell.