The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When attempting to draw an offensive foul, must contact occur on the torso? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89962-when-attempting-draw-offensive-foul-must-contact-occur-torso.html)

MiamiWadeCounty Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:23pm

When attempting to draw an offensive foul, must contact occur on the torso?

Lets just say that Player A1 is a 4 feet tall ball handler and Player B1 is a 7'3" secondary defender.

A1 drives to the basket. B1 steps into the path of A1 to draw a PC foul and establishes a LGP. Because A1 is so short in comparison to B1, contact does not occur on the torso, but it occurs on the lower body of B1 instead and displacement occurs.

What do you call?

APG Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:26pm

If it's contact that is more than marginal/incidental, then a player control foul/offensive foul.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 832946)
Lets just say that Player A1 is a 4 feet tall ball handler and Player B1 is a 7'3" secondary defender.

A1 drives to the basket. B1 steps into the path of A1 to draw a PC foul and establishes a LGP. Because A1 is so short in comparison to B1, contact does not occur on the torso, but it occurs on the lower body of B1 instead and displacement occurs.

What do you call?

The answer to the question in your thread's title: NO.

I have a charge in your play.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. It sounds like B1 should have worn a cup, :p.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:33pm

The rules state who bears the greater responsibility for contact in certain situations, not that certain contact must occur in a particular body location, with the exception of the F1 and F2 elbow fouls.

MiamiWadeCounty Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 832948)
P.S. It sounds like B1 should have worn a cup, :p.

:D I was thinking the same thing.

Adam Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 832946)

What do you call?

Sometimes people get too hung up on the torso because of this rule. Contact not on the torso can still be a charge, and contact on the torso can still be a block.

Texas Aggie Mon Mar 19, 2012 01:26pm

One of the things to keep in mind here is that before you call a charge, make sure the defender was actually fouled. May sound silly, but my point is that the option here isn't just block and charge, but potentially a no-call or a possible violation (travel).

I'm not saying this play is a definite no call, but just that to keep all this in mind.