The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Creighton vs. North Carolina (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89961-creighton-vs-north-carolina.html)

BktBallRef Sun Mar 18, 2012 06:56pm

Creighton vs. North Carolina

No call? Really?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aDWkL5lh0Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hugh Refner Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:02pm

Looks like a flagrant 2. It does seem incredulous that it wasn't called. It happened right out in the middle of the court. It must have been in someone's calling area.

BktBallRef Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:10pm

Just heard Kendall Marshall has broken his wrist. Unbelievable. I hope the thugs from Creighton are happy.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 832920)
No call? Really?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aDWkL5lh0Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In our HS games: whack, get out.

Edit: Good advice is to always know how a player went to the floor. We don't want to miss those calls where a player went to the floor illegally.

Adam Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:20pm

Yep, I'd have gone flagrant with that one.

DRJ1960 Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:39pm

yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugh refner (Post 832922)
looks like a flagrant 2. It does seem incredulous that it wasn't called. It happened right out in the middle of the court. It must have been in someone's calling area.

+1

BktBallRef Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:47pm

Play where Marshall's wrist was broken.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k1oGKlJHQug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

truerookie Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:56pm

no call, because all three officials are watching the flight of the ball.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 832933)
Yep, I'd have gone flagrant with that one.

As would I....flagrant 1.

Probably got no call as a result of the earlier flopping he did...they no longer believed him when he went down even though it should have been a foul.

icallfouls Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 832951)
As would I....flagrant 1.

Probably got no call as a result of the earlier flopping he did...they no longer believed him when he went down even though it should have been a foul.

If that was what they were thinking, that is plain old poor. See the play, see the non-basketball play, make the call, EVERY TIME

truerookie Sun Mar 18, 2012 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 832951)

Cameron, I cannot believe someone on your stature would even make a statement like this one.

Raymond Sun Mar 18, 2012 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 832943)
no call, because all three officials are watching the flight of the ball.

Lead unnecessarily rotating. And did so without keeping his eyes on the paint. Old Trail/New C (due to L rotating) definitely should have had this call.

Trail was watching the shooter as he should, that's not called ball-watching.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2012 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 832957)
Cameron, I cannot believe someone on your stature would even make a statement like this one.

It was a JOKE....but he had flopped a time or two before that. ;)

I had already said it was a flagrant 1....and an obvious one at that. And a prior flop shouldn't have changed that.

BktBallRef Sun Mar 18, 2012 09:50pm

Actually the only other time Zeller hit the floor was a couple of minutes AFTER Echenique leveled him. That was when he took a forearm to the chest but was called for an &1 block.

Sharpshooternes Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 832930)
In our HS games: whack, get out.

Edit: Good advice is to always know how a player went to the floor. We don't want to miss those calls where a player went to the floor illegally.

What the heck was that? and why did they miss it? Whack! Buh by.

fullor30 Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:12am

Trail was watching on ball, lead was rotating and it appears took eye of primary, C should have grabbed it, but appears to be watching for any BI GT.

Pretty shocking.

Edit: Just watched again, don't know how C missed it, and it appears lead had a peek too.

fiasco Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 832929)
Just heard Kendall Marshall has broken his wrist. Unbelievable. I hope the thugs from Creighton are happy.

Between this and the Duke thread, I think it's safe to say we have a UNC fanboy on our hands.

Adam Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 832941)
Play where Marshall's wrist was broken.

This one looks like a fluke from that angle. Nothing particularly noteworthy about the foul itself.

ballgame99 Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 832990)
Actually the only other time Zeller hit the floor was a couple of minutes AFTER Echenique leveled him. That was when he took a forearm to the chest but was called for an &1 block.

The play you are referring to was a good no call, big time flop. As for the OP, I saw that live and was shocked there was nothing on it. Creighton's big guy chucked Zeller pretty good like this on the trip before as well.

BktBallRef Tue Mar 20, 2012 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 833027)
Between this and the Duke thread, I think it's safe to say we have a UNC fanboy on our hands.

Actually no. I've been a UNC fan since I was 10 years old and I've posted about plays from UNC games a helluva lot longer than you've been here.

A fanboy is one who comes here and complains about calls that cost his team the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 833046)
The play you are referring to was a good no call, big time flop.

Actually no, it was called a block on Zeller.

Quote:

As for the OP, I saw that live and was shocked there was nothing on it. Creighton's big guy chucked Zeller pretty good like this on the trip before as well.
McDermott called Echenique into his office on Monday morning, watched the play with him and told him it was "unacceptable."

BktBallRef Tue Mar 20, 2012 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 833044)
This one looks like a fluke from that angle. Nothing particularly noteworthy about the foul itself.

Just an overall game plan of physical play that ended up being viewed by many as dirty play. And that's not just Carolina fans. McDermott called Roy Williams on Monday and apologized for any plays that were perceived as dirty, as that was not his intent. I take him at his word.

The foul on Marshall was a forearm to the ribs after he was already by the fouler.

fiasco Tue Mar 20, 2012 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 833414)
A fanboy is one who comes here and complains about calls that cost his team the game.

No, a fanboy is someone who lets his affinity for a certain team cloud his better judgment, which is what you've done several times in this and other threads about Carolina. Winning or losing the game doesn't necessarily play into the definition.

Calling an entire team "thugs" because there was one blatantly thuggish play by one player and several questionable but not overtly thuggish plays makes you, by definition, a fanboy.

Just own it, dude.

Adam Tue Mar 20, 2012 05:27pm

So, which plays is BktBallRef wrong about?

rockyroad Tue Mar 20, 2012 05:34pm

BktBallRef - wasn't there a play later in the game where on of the Creighton players went out of his way to smack Marshall on that injured wrist AFTER the play had been blown dead?

BktBallRef Tue Mar 20, 2012 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 833424)
No, a fanboy is someone who lets his affinity for a certain team cloud his better judgment, which is what you've done several times in this and other threads about Carolina. Winning or losing the game doesn't necessarily play into the definition.

Calling an entire team "thugs" because there was one blatantly thuggish play by one player and several questionable but not overtly thuggish plays makes you, by definition, a fanboy.

Just own it, dude.

Whatever you say, newbie.

Rich Tue Mar 20, 2012 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 833424)

Just own it, dude.

One attribute of a fanboy is that the person comes *only* to be a fanboy. It doesn't mean that a poster can't be a fan, even a rabid fan.

So calling BktBallRef a fanboy is laughable.

BktBallRef Tue Mar 20, 2012 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 833427)
BktBallRef - wasn't there a play later in the game where on of the Creighton players went out of his way to smack Marshall on that injured wrist AFTER the play had been blown dead?

Henson, not Marshall.

That was the play that got it all started early in the game. Henson was fouled by Wragge under the Carolina basket. After the whistle blew, Gibbs came in and took 2-3 swipes, nailing Henson's wrist. Henson took exception, got in his face and O'Neill hit him with the T. The cameras caught Gibbs winking to his bench after the incident.

Williams talked to Tom O'Neill and Marshall spoke with Pat Driscoll and ask that they look for plays where CU must be intentionally going after Henson's wrist.

The Zeller-Echenique play I posted to start this thread came next.

In the second half, the foul by Wragge on Marshall came at the 10:56 mark. I don't think it was a dirty foul but it was obviously part of their physical game plan.

About a minute plus later, PJ Hairston stole a rebound that CU should have had and went straight to the basket. Gibbs hit him in the head from behind to try and stop him from making the shot. Foul called. Hairston turned and started to take exception but controlled himself.

As I wrote above, Coach Williams had planned to call Coach McDermott on Monday about the first play I posted. But McDermott called first and apologized for anything that was perceived as dirty. He had Echenique review the Zeller play and explained that he would tolerate that type of play.

Creighton's game plan was to be physical, "You can't push us around" type deal. That said so in interviews after the game. But those plays fueled the fire, with many people in the media, obviously Carolina fans, and even some Creighton fans calling them out for dirty play.

fiasco Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 833436)
One attribute of a fanboy is that the person comes *only* to be a fanboy. It doesn't mean that a poster can't be a fan, even a rabid fan.

So calling BktBallRef a fanboy is laughable.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 833046)
The play you are referring to was a good no call, big time flop..

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 833414)
Actually no, it was called a block on Zeller.

Correctly called a block at that. Zellar flopped out of it with marginal contact into a position on the floor the NCAA has deemed illegal and was thus called for the block when there was again contact with the shooter from this now illegal position.

The lead on that play had perfect position and had nothing else to look at.....I trust he saw it for what it was and called it correctly.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 833437)
Henson, not Marshall.

That was the play that got it all started early in the game. Henson was fouled by Wragge under the Carolina basket. After the whistle blew, Gibbs came in and took 2-3 swipes, nailing Henson's wrist. Henson took exception, got in his face and O'Neill hit him with the T. The cameras caught Gibbs winking to his bench after the incident.

You make the sequence of events seem a lot more stretched out in time than they were. At the time it occurred, the timing of the events all seemed part of normal play....he didn't seem to go after him after the whistle. He was going in for the ball around the same time as the original foul and stopped maybe a bit after the whistle.....a fairly normal reaction time it seemed.

Did the cameras really catch him winking? I don't know...maybe but it could be that he just blinked. I don't have the replay to check. But i'm sure if you were looking for a wink, you could find one.

The only play I felt was of questionable cleanliness was the one in the video that started this thread....that should have been a FF1.

Rich Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 833440)

Some of us aren't as new as you'd think.

jbduke Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08am

The wink was very clear--definitely not a "blink."

That said, I don't see any reasonable objections to anything in that game beyond the Echenique play. And I'm still trying to figure out why Williams didn't ask the officials to go to the monitor and review that play. Honestly, did no one on Carolina's bench see what happened? No one?

BillyMac Thu Mar 22, 2012 04:52pm

'Nough Said ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 833443)
Some of us aren't as new as you'd think.

Sixty posts? Forum newbie.

Adam Thu Mar 22, 2012 04:53pm

My Fifth Grade Teacher Taught Me

I wouldn't assume if I were you.

Rich Thu Mar 22, 2012 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 833699)

It would be really nice if you didn't quote someone on my ignore list.

Adam Thu Mar 22, 2012 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 833702)

Sorry. Fixed it.

Rich Thu Mar 22, 2012 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 833708)
Sorry. Fixed it.

Thanks.

BktBallRef Thu Mar 22, 2012 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 833604)
The wink was very clear--definitely not a "blink."

That said, I don't see any reasonable objections to anything in that game beyond the Echenique play. And I'm still trying to figure out why Williams didn't ask the officials to go to the monitor and review that play. Honestly, did no one on Carolina's bench see what happened? No one?

Play on the far end, shot in the air...probably not. I think if Zeller doesn't hop right up, then there's discussion and a review.

What do you think of Mason Plumlee testing the NBA waters?

fiasco Thu Mar 22, 2012 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 833702)

Holy cow. Prima donna anyone?

fiasco Thu Mar 22, 2012 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 833699)

We get it. Someone here, a regular, changed their forum name. Big whoop. You hide behind a new screen name, you still get called a newbie. End of story.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04pm

The play in the OP is at least an F1 and could certainly be an F2.
The foul on the kid who hurt his wrist should be deemed F1 in my opinion as there is no attempt or possibility of playing the ball.

I can't wait for the NCAA preseason video for next year! Some excellent clips available in this year's tourney.

Rich Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 833760)
We get it. Someone here, a regular, changed their forum name. Big whoop. You hide behind a new screen name, you still get called a newbie. End of story.

Thanks for reminding me to replenish my ignore list, though. I already got the image poster, now I'll add you.

fiasco Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 833796)
Thanks for reminding me to replenish my ignore list, though. I already got the image poster, now I'll add you.

I'm so hurt.

You remind me of the teenage girl on the cell phone commercial who calls her boyfriend to tell him that she's giving him the silent treatment. Kinda defeats the purpose, bro.

BillyMac Fri Mar 23, 2012 07:03am

Wolf In Sheep's Clothing ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 833760)

Well, I, for one, didn't get it. Now I do. Thanks fiasco. Now. Who, and why?

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2012 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 833832)
Well, I, for one, didn't get it. Now I do. Thanks fiasco. Now. Who, and why?

Shoot, who cares? Maybe the name change improved the quality of the person's posts.

BillyMac Fri Mar 23, 2012 07:46am

Dr. Jekyll Or Mr. Hyde ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyMac (Post 833832)
Who, and why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 833844)
Shoot, who cares? Maybe the name change improved the quality of the person's posts.

Who's WillyMac?