The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First time in my career: the double violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89806-first-time-my-career-double-violation.html)

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 08, 2012 02:47pm

First time in my career: the double violation

Any guesses before I say how it happened?

More background: I was selected to work my provincial VB tournament. This was a quarter-final game. Both teams were very strong, and I'm guessing both teams really wanted the first possession.

bainsey Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:03pm

Just for clarity, does this have anything to do with fouls? (In the NFHS rule set, violations and fouls are mutually exclusive.)

Toren Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:04pm

Both players in the center, tried to steal the tip. Tweet, Tweet. Double Violation.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 830839)
Both players in the center, tried to steal the tip. Tweet, Tweet. Double Violation.

Yup. Both players simultaneously hit the ball on the upward flight.

BillyMac Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:13pm

8:00 Or 7:58 ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 830842)
Yup. Both players simultaneously hit the ball on the upward flight.

Did you remember to reset the clock back to 8:00 (assuming the timer had incorrectly started the clock)?

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 830847)
Did you remember to reset the clock back to 8:00 (assuming the timer had incorrectly started the clock)?

I checked and it still read 8:00.

I assumed that this make of timing device, which I'd never encountered before, didn't internally have "7:59.99999999" in its memory banks, while displaying 8:00. Resetting it to 8:00 "just in case" would be OOO, and I'm sure my evaluator would have laughed. And not with me. :D

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 830847)

Also to include: that I, as the U, didn't mistakenly start the clock, which would give justification for the timer to start the clock.

Thankfully, I did not improperly start the clock. :p

BillyMac Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:19pm

Give Him A Contract ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 830850)
I checked and it still read 8:00.

Wow. Great timekeeper. Bring him with you to your next game. Was it chseagle, or SoCalScorekeeper?

Speaking of which, where is cheseagle. We haven't heard from him for a while.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40pm

So on this double violation, would you (a) require the same two jumpers to re-jump, or (b) allow any player from each team to do the re-jump? If (b), would you allow a team to substitute a player in for the re-jump?

State your reason(s).

Adam Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47pm

I'd jump with the violators, but I'm not sure there's solid rule backing for forcing the issue.

stiffler3492 Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 830853)
Wow. Great timekeeper. Bring him with you to your next game. Was it chseagle, or SoCalScorekeeper?

Speaking of which, where is cheseagle. We haven't heard from him for a while.

Didn't the Eagle have a falling out with the AD at his school? I seem to remember something about the Eagle being relegated to the back gym.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 830960)
Didn't the Eagle have a falling out with the AD at his school? I seem to remember something about the Eagle being relegated to the back gym.

I thought he resigned. He mentioned that other people were significantly less focused than he was, and their work was full of errors.

stiffler3492 Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 830961)
I thought he resigned. He mentioned that other people were significantly less focused than he was, and their work was full of errors.

Right, but I thought an argument with the AD came first and led to his resignation.