The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I guess I'm the designated truant officer (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89789-i-guess-im-designated-truant-officer.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 07, 2012 03:59pm

I guess I'm the designated truant officer

In two days, I'll have a boys HS rec game in our local kids rec league. Apparently, these are two teams who don't get along with each other very well, plus we've had problems with both of them vs. other teams, too. The referee assignor decided to assign the game to me, since they know I would be the one to "handle" any problems and keep the peace, as I was informed. This is their final game of the season, and some of the boys are seniors meaning this is their final game for us totally, so I guess the league thinks they might figure the boys have "nothing to lose" by acting as rough as they want.

My partner for the game is a local HS teacher who has some of the kids in his classes. I guess the league thought the kids would be well behaved or else he would flunk them in school. :D

I had one of these teams earlier in the season and I think I issued about 4 Ts to them, plus one to the AC.

Situations like this are why we get the big bucks. :rolleyes:

Toren Wed Mar 07, 2012 04:01pm

Good Luck with that one.

Sounds like a tough one to end the season on.

grunewar Wed Mar 07, 2012 04:11pm

Glad it's You!

Similar situation this past weekend. My son plays in a 18U League and I keep the clock (I learned everything I know from the Eagle.......)

Ref gets tired of one of my son's opponents antics....and WHACK! Kid does something else stupid and the ref says, "buh-bye." Maybe the kids last organized game ever.....

Kid goes to the bench grabs his plastic "Bob Knight type" chair and with much fanfare and ceremony departs the gym. His "posse" went with him.......sad.

Kids acting stupid and disrespctful. Maybe they'll learn and grow up.....or not.

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 07, 2012 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 830606)
Sounds like a tough one to end the season on.

Actually, I have two more the next day but they're 6B and 8B, so it will be like a walk in the park - I hope.

Also, this "tough" game (juniors and seniors) is my second game that night. The first one is freshman and sophomores so they know I'll see them again next year. I hope the thought of that makes them behave themselves.

Oh yeah, I'll have about 10 minutes to "rest" between games. To me, "rest" means gulp down a bottle of Propel Zero, a granola bar and a handful of meds.

rpirtle Wed Mar 07, 2012 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 830614)
...Kids acting stupid and disrespctful. Maybe they'll learn and grow up.....or not.

Actually, with their bad attitudes...they sound like they may be ready for the NBA. :eek:

constable Fri Mar 09, 2012 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 830601)
In two days, I'll have a boys HS rec game in our local kids rec league. Apparently, these are two teams who don't get along with each other very well, plus we've had problems with both of them vs. other teams, too. The referee assignor decided to assign the game to me, since they know I would be the one to "handle" any problems and keep the peace, as I was informed. This is their final game of the season, and some of the boys are seniors meaning this is their final game for us totally, so I guess the league thinks they might figure the boys have "nothing to lose" by acting as rough as they want.

My partner for the game is a local HS teacher who has some of the kids in his classes. I guess the league thought the kids would be well behaved or else he would flunk them in school. :D

I had one of these teams earlier in the season and I think I issued about 4 Ts to them, plus one to the AC.

Situations like this are why we get the big bucks. :rolleyes:

Truant officer eh? Were any of them absent from the game without permission and if so how did you penalize it?

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 09, 2012 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 831079)
Truant officer eh? Were any of them absent from the game without permission and if so how did you penalize it?

The game isn't until tonight. I'll comment tomorrow if there's anything noteworthy.

ref3808 Fri Mar 09, 2012 03:32pm

In a weak moment I agreed to officiate the town HS intramural league tomorrow. Multiple games. What was I thinking? By tomorrow eveing I might be able to swap stories with Mark.

Freddy Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46pm

Book 'em, Danno

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53am

Well, the game is over and it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was still pretty ugly. My partner tossed one kid and I gave each HC a T. Oh yeah, two other kids got Ts and six kids fouled out.

Here's why that kid got tossed. My partner called a carry on him and he decided to protest the call by throwing the ball against the wall. Partner signals a T and the kid yells, "ARE YOU NUTS?" Whack number two - he's gone.

One HC got his T for generally arguing after I gave him the stop sign and the other one got his for getting in my partner's face and yelling as my partner was reporting a foul (the fifth on his starting center) at the table. I took the initiative and whacked him, saving my partner the trouble. The other two Ts by the players were for shoving each other in the chest during a dead ball.

There was also quite a bit of arguing among parents from the two teams but nothing rose to the level that would have required us to do anything about it.

Oh well, it's over now and I'm getting ready for my middle school games today.

ref3808 Sat Mar 10, 2012 09:01pm

Mark wins. I only assessed two technical fouls, one to a player who decided to protest a call by slamming the ball down, and the other to his head coach who after the player slammed the ball came onto the court to remind me of all my mistakes that were clearly causing his team to lose their composure.

Oh and we had one game go to overtime, but it we got through it.

And now it's a week off and then AAU. I'll be over here next weekend with the honey do list that's been growing larger since Thanksgiving.

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 15, 2012 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 830614)
Similar situation this past weekend. My son plays in a 18U League and I keep the clock (I learned everything I know from the Eagle.......)
Ref gets tired of one of my son's opponents antics....and WHACK! Kid does something else stupid and the ref says, "buh-bye." Maybe the kids last organized game ever.....

Kid goes to the bench grabs his plastic "Bob Knight type" chair and with much fanfare and ceremony departs the gym. His "posse" went with him.......sad.

Kids acting stupid and disrespctful. Maybe they'll learn and grow up.....or not.

*insert nuclear leak alarm sound here*