The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of Game - State Tourney (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89671-end-game-state-tourney.html)

fullor30 Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23pm

Snaqs.....aren't you in Iowa?

Adam Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 829937)
Snaqs.....aren't you in Iowa?

Not anymore. Moved to the mountains 6 years ago.

BillyMac Mon Mar 05, 2012 01:29pm

When In "Rome" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 829940)
Moved to the mountains 6 years ago.

Isn't "Rome" built on seven mountains?

Duffman Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:48pm

No one else has issue with them not putting C opposite table to give him the buzzer?

rockyroad Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 830028)
No one else has issue with them not putting C opposite table to give him the buzzer?

I don't...why would you want them to do this? In NFHS, opposite the table has the clock, so why do we need to fudge around with our positioning to get the C opposite as opposed to the T being opposite?

Rich Mon Mar 05, 2012 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 830028)

No issue whatsoever.

jalons Mon Mar 05, 2012 05:07pm

Perfectly Legal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 829551)
Forget all of the travel decisions and whether the try was released in time, there is a much bigger issue here--two of the players for the team in white in the Wisconsin game are wearing different colored headbands! :D
Very obvious when they are sitting next to each other on the bench during the time-out. One has red and the other has black.

In Iowa, we follow this adaptation:

Wristbands and Headwear - We will be adhering to Rules 3-5-3 and 3-6 regarding wristbands and headwear with the following exceptions. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands) must be soft and unadorned but maybe any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. Bobby pins 2” or less will also be allowed. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be moisture-absorbing material. Lance Armstrong bracelets, rubber bands, etc., are still illegal as they are not moisture absorbing.

truerookie Mon Mar 05, 2012 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalons (Post 830031)

Wristbands and Headwear - We will be adhering to Rules 3-5-3 and 3-6 regarding wristbands and headwear with the following exceptions. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands) must be soft and unadorned but maybe any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. Bobby pins 2” or less will also be allowed. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be moisture-absorbing material. Lance Armstrong bracelets, rubber bands, etc., are still illegal as they are not moisture absorbing.

Is this an exception to NFHS rules adopted by the state overall? Did I comprehended that correctly?

Rich Mon Mar 05, 2012 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 830035)
Is this an exception to NFHS rules adopted by the state overall? Did I comprehended that correctly?

Yes. I remember reading this before, too, but it had slipped my mind.

Adam Mon Mar 05, 2012 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 830035)

I wish the Fed would follow suit.

JetMetFan Mon Mar 05, 2012 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 830047)
I wish the Fed would follow suit.

With the color of the wristbands/headbands, yeah. I always enforce it but I could care less what color they have on.

However I don't like allowing the bobby pins. The day one of those catches a kid in the eye is the day the state association gets sued, along with, possibly, the officials on the game.

Duffman Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 830029)
I don't...why would you want them to do this? In NFHS, opposite the table has the clock, so why do we need to fudge around withu our positioning to get the C opposite as opposed to the T being opposite?

Because c is able to better position himself. Hes much closer to the action on a long inbound and in a much better position to get a good look on the putback near the bucket.

It's not fudging anything, its after a to following a made bucket they can put it on either side of the lane they want. Why wouldn't they chose a side that gives the best look at the last shot?

rockyroad Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 830096)
Because c is able to better position himself. Hes much closer to the action on a long inbound and in a much better position to get a good look on the putback near the bucket.

It's not fudging anything, its after a to following a made bucket they can put it on either side of the lane they want. Why wouldn't they chose a side that gives the best look at the last shot?

And what if the crew chooses to put the C opposite, but the ensuing play goes table side? How did that help?

I guess I'm just not seeing the need to move the crew around for any coverage purposes here.

Duffman Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 830099)
And what if the crew chooses to put the C opposite, but the ensuing play goes table side? How did that help?

I guess I'm just not seeing the need to move the crew around for any coverage purposes here.

There were 4.5 seconds left. Even if the inbound pass goes table side the C is still in better position to get a look than trail. That's why its his PCA if there is backcourt pressure. In a situation in which there is going to be an extended possession I agree there is little advantage, but with 4.5 and a long inbound pass likely I can think of few situations in which C doesn't have a clear advantage. Honestly and respectfully I don't understand how this is even debatable.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 06, 2012 01:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalons (Post 830031)

First, I clearly didn't know the correct state in which the contest was played.
Thank you for the insight into what Iowa does. Obviously different from most other places. I wonder if this game started with a coin toss or a jump ball.
Lastly, I hope people understood the lack of seriousness in my initial post.