The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Reebok Zig's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89552-reebok-zigs.html)

BubbaRef Mon Feb 27, 2012 01:55pm

Reebok Zig's

I was lucky enought to have purchased these shoes back when my season started. I really like them because they are light and comfortable and according to the kids "they look cool". :D

Anyway as the season went along I began to have a little pain in my right knee. Normally as the season goes I have feet issue's but not knee issues. Now my feet didnt hurt at all with these shoes but my right knee for some reason started to hurt more and more as my season drew to a close. I have been talking to some other officials during my playoff run ask me how I like my shoes and I tell them that I really like them but my right knee has been hurting. Here is where it get's kinda funny, their reply is that they have the same issue with the shoes or know of someone with the same issue as me, and that is the right knee hurting.

Now call it a coincedence or not, I just wanted to throw out a question to those who my have them here and see if any of you have had any issues with them. Not sure at this time if I would get another pair or not. I just finished this past Friday night so some time off will hopefully take care of my sore knee.

Brad

fullor30 Mon Feb 27, 2012 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRef (Post 828212)
I was lucky enought to have purchased these shoes back when my season started. I really like them because they are light and comfortable and according to the kids "they look cool". :D

Anyway as the season went along I began to have a little pain in my right knee. Normally as the season goes I have feet issue's but not knee issues. Now my feet didnt hurt at all with these shoes but my right knee for some reason started to hurt more and more as my season drew to a close. I have been talking to some other officials during my playoff run ask me how I like my shoes and I tell them that I really like them but my right knee has been hurting. Here is where it get's kinda funny, their reply is that they have the same issue with the shoes or know of someone with the same issue as me, and that is the right knee hurting.

Now call it a coincedence or not, I just wanted to throw out a question to those who my have them here and see if any of you have had any issues with them. Not sure at this time if I would get another pair or not. I just finished this past Friday night so some time off will hopefully take care of my sore knee.

Brad

By far best shoe I've ever owned. I have the patent leather ones and found a reebok outlet that sells the leather ones for 79.99 and half off a second pair, so I bought another pair.

Here's the weird part, my right shoe with patents seems a smidge bigger, so when I bought new leather ones expected it was one time deal...uh uh same fit. Now I'm thinking maybe my foot is sized different yet with any other shoe I've never noticed a difference.

That said, no issues with any pain, quite the contrary.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 27, 2012 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 828219)
Here's the weird part, my right shoe with patents seems a smidge bigger, so when I bought new leather ones expected it was one time deal...uh uh same fit. Now I'm thinking maybe my foot is sized different yet with any other shoe I've never noticed a difference.

I believe the patent's have less stretch than most shoes. All of your shoes may be fitting you the same way (with one foot looser/tighter than the other) but you never noticed it since the shoes were more forgiving.

Indianaref Mon Feb 27, 2012 02:51pm

I bought a pair of these shoes at the start of the season. They look great and feel great. Have not had a problem with them. My question to you is: Have you ever been to a specialized running shoe store that can video and evaluate your running style? If not, it may be worth it for you, around here there is a store called BlueMile that does an awesome job of fitting the right running shoe for you.

Bird Dog Mon Feb 27, 2012 03:53pm

Well,

...I'd ref in a pair of black Vibram Five Fingers if I didn't think my association assigner would immediately revoke all my games for wearing "monkey shoes!"

Black KSO Vibram Five Fingers in "Dress Mode"

stiffler3492 Mon Feb 27, 2012 04:16pm

I haven't bought a pair yet, but it's high on my list of offseason priorities. It's definitely the first complaint I've heard about the shoes.

SAJ Mon Feb 27, 2012 05:11pm

i have no issues with these shoes

Scratch85 Mon Feb 27, 2012 05:26pm

Bought a pair at the beginning of the season. They are the best I have ever used for reffing. No knee pain or foot pain. I have had surgery on both knees so I am accustomed to knee pain. Zigs have really helped.

I did buy them one size larger because of the width.

grunewar Mon Feb 27, 2012 08:59pm

I'm with the majority here......

Best shoe I've used to date. No issues with feet or knees.

M&M Guy Mon Feb 27, 2012 09:15pm

Well, knowing Bubba, I never woulda thought someone that slow could hurt themselves... ;) :D

Brad, I personally know a couple of other officials that have the patent leather version, and they love them as well. I didn't get mine ordered soon enough, so I didn't get a chance to try them myself this season. I'm going to get a pair before camps this summer and try them out before next season.

MIReferee Mon Feb 27, 2012 09:26pm

I love my Zigs.. I WAS having leg problems until I started wearing these... But make sure you get them a size bigger!!

ddn Mon Feb 27, 2012 09:51pm

Love my Zigs. Used to have fairly severe shin splints, and they are very much reduced since I started wearing Zigs.

In fact, I just bought another pair at Footlocker online : TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

riverfalls57 Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27pm

Best shoes I've ever had. No problems at all. In fact I've had less problems this year than I ever have had before.

shavano Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:14pm

81 games later, I am still convinced that they are the best shoe out there. Beats the heck out of the NB 888's I wore last season.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRef (Post 828212)

Brad

My guess is your knee issue is unrelated. I'd have a doctor look at it.

Everyone in our association who has these shoes raves about them. I've never worn a better shoe, nor had less leg and foot pain thatn I've had this year.

Welpe Tue Feb 28, 2012 08:00am

I'm planning on getting a pair of the patent ones in time for camp this summer. Sounds like I should go up a size as well.

Rich Tue Feb 28, 2012 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 828372)
My guess is your knee issue is unrelated. I'd have a doctor look at it.

Everyone in our association who has these shoes raves about them. I've never worn a better shoe, nor had less leg and foot pain thatn I've had this year.

Me too.

fullor30 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 828397)
I'm planning on getting a pair of the patent ones in time for camp this summer. Sounds like I should go up a size as well.

Just a FYI, I went a half size up which did the trick. Hopefully, you'll be able to try them on.

Welpe Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57am

Well if these fit like their field turf shoes do I will probably need to go a full size.

zm1283 Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36pm

I got the patent leather Zigs right after Christmas and wore them in every game until the end of the season. I love them and they fit me perfectly. I wear a 13 in every other shoe as well as this one.

Rich Tue Feb 28, 2012 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 828495)
I got the patent leather Zigs right after Christmas and wore them in every game until the end of the season. I love them and they fit me perfectly. I wear a 13 in every other shoe as well as this one.

I went up a half-size cause my feet are usually EE. I wore my Zigs for all of my games this season and have had the least amount of feet issues I've had in years.

BayStateRef Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25pm

I had one problem with the patent Zigs. After just two games, the "pattern thing" on the sole came loose. (I don't know how else to explain it...but it is like a jigsaw puzzle piece that fits into the waffle part of the sole).

I called the retailer...and he said it was the second complaint he had out of 300+ pairs sold. Had my local cobbler glue it back. I thought it was a design defect...but he said it was just poorly made. No problems since I got them fixed.

At the time (early January), I could not find another one in my size in the U.S. Reebok offered to replace them with a "comparable pair," which turned out to be one of equal money value, not the patent leather ref model. Retailer offered by money back...but I wanted to keep the shoe.

I bought 1/2 size larger...and since this fix...have been thrilled with them.

zm1283 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef (Post 828694)
I had one problem with the patent Zigs. After just two games, the "pattern thing" on the sole came loose. (I don't know how else to explain it...but it is like a jigsaw puzzle piece that fits into the waffle part of the sole).

I called the retailer...and he said it was the second complaint he had out of 300+ pairs sold. Had my local cobbler glue it back. I thought it was a design defect...but he said it was just poorly made. No problems since I got them fixed.

At the time (early January), I could not find another one in my size in the U.S. Reebok offered to replace them with a "comparable pair," which turned out to be one of equal money value, not the patent leather ref model. Retailer offered by money back...but I wanted to keep the shoe.

I bought 1/2 size larger...and since this fix...have been thrilled with them.

I have actually had the same thing happen on my other pair of Zigs that I have been wearing for about a year now in everyday use. It is a little insert on the bottom of the shoe that comes unglued.

YooperReferee Wed Feb 29, 2012 09:12am

Great shoe.

RookieDude Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20am

I was just commenting to a fellow official that I did not have a "back issue" this year. Maybe it was because of my zigs...who knows...but, I do know I did not have any issues with back pain or leg pain as I have in past years.

Great shoe!

Kingsman1288 Wed Feb 29, 2012 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddn (Post 828347)
Love my Zigs. Used to have fairly severe shin splints, and they are very much reduced since I started wearing Zigs.

+1 They have helped my shin splints as well. I'm buying another pair before camp this summer.

SmokeEater Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39am

Best shoes I have ever worn in 30+ years. I was afraid after having knee surgery in Sept that I would not be ready for games at the end of October, I wore the Zigs to rehab and never had a lick of pain. I wear a pair for officiating as well.

When the suppliers get all their back orders in I am hoping there will be enough left to send me a new pair.

BubbaRef Thu Mar 01, 2012 04:49pm

Thanks for the reply's guys. Must just have been a fluke thing. I really like the shoes and will probably get a back up pair when they are back in stock.

M&M I am still faster than you are. LOL Havent seen you in awhile, hope all is well.

DLH17 Thu Mar 01, 2012 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverfalls57 (Post 828353)
best shoes i've ever had. No problems at all. In fact i've had less problems this year than i ever have had before.

+1

BktBallRef Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 828397)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 828442)
Just a FYI, I went a half size up which did the trick. Hopefully, you'll be able to try them on.

A half size up was enough for me as well.

Foot Locker has half sizes up to a 14.5 when they have them in stock.

Camron Rust Tue May 01, 2012 02:47am

Got some Zigs....had them for 2 weeks and have run 9 games in them.

I got these... ZigActivate in all black ...
Reebok ZigActivate - Men's - Running - Shoes - Black

I like them. They're light, comfortable, and have good arch support. They may be a tiny bit smaller than some 11.5's (my normal size) but not enough to make me swap for the 12.

They're a keeper!

stiffler3492 Tue May 01, 2012 10:33am

Just ordered mine through Honigs. Paid a little more, but I'm sure it's worth it. Got the patent leathers. Camps start next month!

SmokeEater Fri May 11, 2012 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 839715)
Just ordered mine through Honigs. Paid a little more, but I'm sure it's worth it. Got the patent leathers. Camps start next month!

Referees Call just sent my Zig Energy Ref's to me. $84.95 + shipping. Still much cheaper than the $149.00 + shipping from Honigs Canada.

tref Fri May 11, 2012 12:16pm

"Nike or Nothing" is my motto. :cool:

Smitty Fri May 11, 2012 12:53pm

Ordered a pair of Zigs from Flemings (Fleming's Referee & Sport : The Source for Game Officials and Umpires Equipment and Uniforms) for 89.99 with free shipping. Had to call because website ordering is not working, but the dude on the phone was great.

Referee's Call website is showing Out of Stock...

Smitty Fri May 11, 2012 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 841360)
"Nike or Nothing" is my motto. :cool:

I was a Nike guy too, but the Zigs are way more comfortable than any Nike's I've ever worn. I was skeptical and I hate the way the outsole looks, but try them on - you'll be a believer.

SmokeEater Fri May 11, 2012 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 841375)
Referee's Call website is showing Out of Stock...

Yes they are doing their back orders first then will put what they have left on the website. Again it's call to order.

For me it's finding someone to ship to canada that was the issue.

constable Sat May 12, 2012 06:54am

finally got a pair from Honig's Canada Thursday after months of waiting.

SmokeEater Tue May 15, 2012 09:09am

I rec'd my shoes from Referees Call Yesterday. No Duty or extra taxes. All I had to pay was the $18.00 for shipping on top of the $84 for the shoes. Still a way better than paying $149 in Canada for the same shoes.

constable Wed May 16, 2012 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 841933)
I rec'd my shoes from Referees Call Yesterday. No Duty or extra taxes. All I had to pay was the $18.00 for shipping on top of the $84 for the shoes. Still a way better than paying $149 in Canada for the same shoes.

How did you smuggle them across without duty? I just got a pair of new balance umpire shoes and new mask from ump-attire. I had to pay 40 bucks in tax and duty on top of the shipping.

SmokeEater Thu May 17, 2012 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 842169)
How did you smuggle them across without duty? I just got a pair of new balance umpire shoes and new mask from ump-attire. I had to pay 40 bucks in tax and duty on top of the shipping.

Ask them to ship them as a gift and send the invoice separately. You still pay the same in shipping.

If the items you are buying are American made you shouldn't have to pay Duty on them anyway, just the extra Provincial and Federal taxes as applicable.