The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Seven Quarters (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89394-seven-quarters.html)

riverfalls57 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04am

Seven Quarters

What is the penalty to a team if a player participates in more than six quarters in a day? I haven't been able to find anything yet in the rule book.

Adam Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverfalls57 (Post 826940)
What is the penalty to a team if a player participates in more than six quarters in a day? I haven't been able to find anything yet in the rule book.

You can stop looking. It's not in there.

Rich Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12am

Quote:

That's a state/local rule. Check with your state/local authority. Likely, the officials have nothing to do with tracking or enforcing this.

rockyroad Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13am

Quote:

Those type of "rules" are set by the individual State Activities Association...for example: in Washington State, a player may only participate in 4 quarters per day (night) as set by the WIAA. The penalty for exceeding that is forfeiture of the game in which the player exceeded the 4 quarters. Game officials have nothing to do with this - it's handled by the AD's.

So you need to contact your State Association to find out their policies and procedures.

Welpe Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21am

Double flagrant technical foul and detention.

(What these guys said above is correct, depends upon your local rules.)

riverfalls57 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:26am

Thanks everyone, at least I know I'm not crazy. I looked everywhere I could think of in the rules and case book.

Adam Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverfalls57 (Post 826950)
Thanks everyone, at least I know I'm not crazy. I looked everywhere I could think of in the rules and case book.

Curious, what made you look?

dsqrddgd909 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32am

Quote:

I'm assuming you're in Minnesota?

It's not something we as officials adjudicate but from the website:

"2011-12 Girls' Basketball

Player Participation Limit:
Daily Limit: No more than three (3) halves in one day. Exceptions listed in Bylaw 502
Season Limitation: No more halves than three (3) times the number of games scheduled."

Welcome to the Minnesota State High School League

Penalty
If there is a violation of the player limitations, a full report of the incident must be made to the League Office by the school officials of the school violating the rule. The Board of Directors will determine the responsibility and penalize the responsible school official or officials. The game must be automatically forfeited.
Bylaw 502

M&M Guy Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 826952)
Curious, what made you look?

Maybe the fact there are many of us that continue to harp on people that come here asking questions to simply look up the rule first? :p :D

I learned this a long time ago during a jr. high game - coach asked about the other team's player playing more than the allowed number of quarters that night, and the player's coach agreed he had. My veteran partner said, well, that has to be a T, so we administered the T and away we went without any complaints. It wasn't until the next day did we find out that was outside our jurisdiction as game officials.

Each state has some sort of similar participation rules at various levels, and I can see where many officials would not be aware of how to handle those without previously coming across the situation.

Rich Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 826954)
I'm assuming you're in Minnesota?

It's not something we as officials adjudicate but from the website:

"2011-12 Girls' Basketball

Player Participation Limit:
Daily Limit: No more than three (3) halves in one day. Exceptions listed in Bylaw 502
Season Limitation: No more halves than three (3) times the number of games scheduled."

Welcome to the Minnesota State High School League

Penalty
If there is a violation of the player limitations, a full report of the incident must be made to the League Office by the school officials of the school violating the rule. The Board of Directors will determine the responsibility and penalize the responsible school official or officials. The game must be automatically forfeited.
Bylaw 502

He could be in WI, since UW-River Falls is in WI close to MSP.

In Wisconsin, the limit is 4 quarters unless the school has a 5th quarter waiver from the WIAA. Those are small schools that have low enrollments below a certain threshold who have applied for and received a waiver (this is so teams can field JV squads in many cases).

Officials have no jurisdiction and I choose not to even bother knowing the details of the rule (other than the basics that I listed above) nor the penalty for violating it. That's between the coaches, administrators, and the state office.

riverfalls57 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:51am

A boy's coach asked me before my game the other day and said it had happened in the school's girl's game the week before. The officials gave a T. He asked me if that was correct. I told him that I wasn't sure but I thought it was a forfeit.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56am

On a similar note, our local kids rec league has a rule that if a kid participates in both of their team's practices during the week, then that kid must play at least half of their game on the weekend. Compliance to this is the responsibility of the parents, not the officials. If a coach doesn't comply, that kid's parent can report it to the league Board.

Raymond Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverfalls57 (Post 826971)
A boy's coach asked me before my game the other day and said it had happened in the school's girl's game the week before. The officials gave a T. He asked me if that was correct. I told him that I wasn't sure but I thought it was a forfeit.

This is what bothers me about the situation. This is something the coach should know. He shouldn't be asking an official about a state participation rule. As the coach of a varsity high school program it should be on page 1 of his fact sheet.

grunewar Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 826977)
On a similar note, our local kids rec league has a rule that if a kid participates in both of their team's practices during the week, then that kid must play at least half of their game on the weekend. Compliance to this is the responsibility of the parents, not the officials. If a coach doesn't comply, that kid's parent can report it to the league Board.

We have a similar policy here, but both the parents and/or opposing coach can lodge the complaint.

Happened last week during an egregious abuse of the policy by one team. The victory was overturned.

Many of our coaches keep rigorous notes as to when they play their players to avoid such embarrassment.

ref3808 Thu Feb 23, 2012 02:08pm

Around here these sorts of local rule issues are turned over to this guy.

http://elleswim.files.wordpress.com/...unforgiven.jpg