The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I learned something new yesterday (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89229-i-learned-something-new-yesterday.html)

BEAREF Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:32pm

I learned something new yesterday

Working a varsity boys game yesterday I heard a fan comment "come on you guys, it's your job to keep them from getting hurt".

truerookie Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 825754)
Working a varsity boys game yesterday I heard a fan comment "come on you guys, it's your job to keep them from getting hurt".

That's nothing new. It's a true statement.

BEAREF Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 825756)

How can I prevent someone from getting hurt????

just another ref Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:49pm

Whatever this is, it certainly isn't new. 25 years ago or so, working one of my first jr. high games, a player drove in and was knocked to the floor. Nothing dirty or out of the ordinary for this level, but, yes, a pretty good shot. A lady in the audience took exception.

"Come on, ref! We didn't bring our boys out here to see them get hurt!"

"Well, the thing to do ma'am, would be take your boys home and let them sit on the couch and watch tv, where they'll be safe."

Didn't say it, but really wanted to.

Adam Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:59pm

Quote:

It's as true as saying our goal is to not be noticed.

BillyMac Sun Feb 19, 2012 05:50pm

The Intent And Purpose Of The Rules ...

Quote:

It certainly is, been around for a long time.

The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a
balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the
defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and tall player; to
provide reasonable safety and protection; to create an atmosphere of sporting
behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly
limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.

truerookie Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 825759)
How can I prevent someone from getting hurt????

By officiating the game according to the NFHS rules set. Approach the game objectively not subjectively.

1. If a player goes to the floor, you should know how they got there and be able to explain it clearly.

2. Referee the defense.

3. Be ready to officiate at the point of attack.

4. Always protect the shooter.

5. Always protect the ball handler.

6. Be consistent on both end.

7. If ball is knocked loose from dribbler or holder and contact caused it, call a foul. (some my call this incidental contact, it encourages rough play).

BktBallRef Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 825754)

Quote:

No, it's a stupid statement and so is yours.

We can't prevent players from getting hurt. It's impossible.

We can call fouls and try to minimize rough play but players are going to get hurt.

grunewar Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 825824)
We can call fouls and try to minimize rough play but players are going to get hurt.

Before my son's B18U game last night, a young man went up to block a shot and came down awkwardly - his leg snapped like a pencil. It was a sickening sound. Ambulance was summoned and took him away. :(

While I understand we as officials help manage the game and can certainly reduce the rough play, injuries happen regardless.

rockyroad Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 825816)
By officiating the game according to the NFHS rules set. Approach the game objectively not subjectively.

1. If a player goes to the floor, you should know how they got there and be able to explain it clearly.

2. Referee the defense.

3. Be ready to officiate at the point of attack.

4. Always protect the shooter.

5. Always protect the ball handler.

6. Be consistent on both end.

7. If ball is knocked loose from dribbler or holder and contact caused it, call a foul. (some my call this incidental contact, it encourages rough play).

So we are supposed to believe that you have never had an injury in any game you have officiated because you do all of the points listed above???

Never.

Not one single time.

You have prevented them all.

Yeah. Right.:rolleyes:

truerookie Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 825850)
So we are supposed to believe that you have never had an injury in any game you have officiated because you do all of the points listed above???

Never.

Not one single time.

You have prevented them all.

Yeah. Right.:rolleyes:

Lol,

A good number of injuries occurs from contact.

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 19, 2012 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 825824)
No, it's a stupid statement and so is yours.

We can't prevent players from getting hurt. It's impossible.

Bingo.

Rich Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:00pm

I had a player get injured from running into a legal screen the other night. I saw it coming and once she was injured, I stopped the game. Coach wanted something.

"She ran into a legal screen. There was no foul."

And with the exception of some fans, that was the end of it.

If people want to avoid all injures, I hear there are openings on the chess team.

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 825868)
I had a player get injured from running into a legal screen the other night. I saw it coming and once she was injured, I stopped the game. Coach wanted something.

"She ran into a legal screen. There was no foul."

And with the exception of some fans, that was the end of it.

If people want to avoid all injures, I hear there are openings on the chess team.

Nobody gets hurt in practice, I hear. In any sport. Even chess.

grunewar Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21pm

I was discussing injuries tonight with the next crew coming on after my games - particularly rough season for me: one broken leg (fell awkwardly), one broken wrist (kid hit a wall, stupid small gym), a bloody nose (hit hard by the ball), split lip (inadvertent elbow or hand during a rebound). I have had more blood on the court this yr than ever.

We can try our best and it happens.........