The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:12am
We don't rent pigs

Creighton/Long Beach St.

NCAA backcourt rule is the same on 3 pts, isn't it?

Official just called the violation in the last minute of the game. Ball didn't come close to the line.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Brutal call.

Also, another example of the announcers not knowing the rules either since they agreed with the call even after seeing a slow-motion replay.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:36am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
NCAA backcourt rule is the same on 3 pts, isn't it?

Official just called the violation in the last minute of the game. Ball didn't come close to the line.
Indeed it is... I hit rewind as soon as the whistle blew... I've had a long day... just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:42am
C'mon man!!

Yeah I saw it too. Bad call. Could have cost the game.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddy View Post
Brutal call.

Also, another example of the announcers not knowing the rules either since they agreed with the call even after seeing a slow-motion replay.
Not just the announcers. Sportscenter talking heads, too.

Not only did the ball not cross the line, neither did his right foot.

Fortunately, the opponent lost the ball OOB on the ensuing possession.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

I was hoping people would bring it up on here. I was going to record it on video and post it, but I was sure it would be talked about. That bad thing is that it wasn't even close.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Holy cow...

I just watched the replay. That was bad. We probably won't hear about it but I wouldn't be surprised if those guys are docked a game by their conference (I'm asssuming MVC since Creighton was the home team). I know that sounds drastic but conference assignors don't look kindly on officials screwing up rules, especially late in televised games.

As for the announcers, I began following Stephen Bardo (the analyst on the game) on Twitter a few months ago for the sole purpose of telling him when he screws up the rules.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Isn't that the second one of those this season (last minute, nationally televised game)? Wow.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

- BAD call.
- Yes, it's the 2nd one we've seen this season in the last minute of a game.
- The officials were assigned by the Big West Conf. for this game (ALL Bracket Buster games have the officials assigned by the visiting conf.).
- That previous, incorrectly called play was shown to ALL D1 (and others belonging to the NCAA's officiating website) via a video bulletin.
- I imagine we'll see this play in the next video bulletin sent out by John Adams.
- I would think that if any discipline is handed out, it would be only be to the calling official and NOT the entire crew.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The dribbler was not challenged by a defender, so there was no chance of a foul being committed. The play was not near a sideline, so there was no OB violation possible. The clock wasn't near 00:00, so there was no last second shot to be concerned about. 10-second rule? Not likely since A1 bolted up the court right away.

When this happens, the only job the T has has is to ensure that all 3 points cross the division line.

It's pretty bad when you screw up your only job, especially when it wasn't even close, and right at the end of the game.

I've said it before and it remains true: if fate has it that you will screw this call up, do it with 8:04 left in the first NCAA-half. People will barely remember it then. They will remember a blown call with 42 seconds left in the game.

You have to start strong and finish strong. Yes, I've learned the hard way.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Oh my. Just goes to show that none of us are infallible.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
- BAD call.
- Yes, it's the 2nd one we've seen this season in the last minute of a game.
- The officials were assigned by the Big West Conf. for this game (ALL Bracket Buster games have the officials assigned by the visiting conf.).
- That previous, incorrectly called play was shown to ALL D1 (and others belonging to the NCAA's officiating website) via a video bulletin.
- I imagine we'll see this play in the next video bulletin sent out by John Adams.
- I would think that if any discipline is handed out, it would be only be to the calling official and NOT the entire crew.
Twocents, you have a point regarding the calling official but I think the C could catch some heat as well since he's supposed to stay even with the ball up court unless there are very few (2 or 3) players in the backcourt. It would've looked odd if he told his partner it wasn't a violation but it also would've kept them out of the (post-game) soup. Again, JMO.

Btw - I seem to be in a back and forth with analyst Stephen Bardo about this on Twitter.

Me: FYI - Play in the last min of LBSU/Creig wasn't b'court. Both feet & ball of dribbler have to be in f'court first.
SB: I'm amazed at guys like u that seem to watch games and CAN'T wait to point out the negative. Thanks for watching
Me: Not trying to be negative. I've been a basketball official for 20+ yrs. Just trying to educate.
SB: u said that the last time u wanted to educate
Me: Thanks. When b'casters - I also work in TV - misinterpret rules it filters down to me on the court. Knowledge helps us all.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

If the C official saw this play and KNEW it was not called correctly... what should he have done?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 11:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
If the C official saw this play and KNEW it was not called correctly... what should he have done?
He should go in and say something.

I wouldn't be surprised if at that level, they don't.