The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   correction (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89156-correction.html)

benbret Sat Feb 18, 2012 06:32pm

correction

NFHS Rules: Team A is dribbling the ball in front of her bench. She loses control and in the mad scramble to regain control R calls a foul on A1. I put the ball in play in front of Team A’s bench and B1 makes a wild full court throw and I hear R blow his whistle but I did not see what happen. I am in front of Team A’s bench and the Coach of Team A has requested a time out to speak to R about the previous call. She said he had called a jump ball and then reported a foul. I do not believe that is what happened. I did not see R call a jump ball. I told her as soon as I report the time-out I will ask R if he will speak to her. I asked him and he talked to her about the foul. When the time out was over, R gave the ball to B on the baseline. B scored and as I came by Team A bench the coach is screaming it should have been her ball on the throw in? R stops the game, takes the 2 points off the board, resets the clock and gives the ball to team A. Is this correct?

Adam Sat Feb 18, 2012 06:59pm

No, it's not right. Why was it A's ball?

Either way, you don't double down on the mistake? What level?

just another ref Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:01pm

How could it possibly be correct? Foul on A1? Jump ball? What was the call?

JetMetFan Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:06pm

Let me get this straight...

If I understand the scenario:

*Team A's coach believed it was their ball following a time out
*Your partner mistakenly gave the ball to Team B following the time out
*Team B inbounded the ball and scored
*Your partner realized his mistake, wiped out the score, put the time back on the clock and gave Team A the ball

The answer, under NFHS (7-6-6) and NCAA (7-6-10), is he shouldn't have done that. Once the throw-in after the time out ended there was nothing which could be done. It's not a correctable error situation.

benbret Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:34pm

R said that when B1 threw the ball it went out of bounds on her untouched By A

stiffler3492 Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:35pm

Did you guys talk about it afterwards? What did he say?

EDIT: Beat me to it. Yeah, once the throw in ends, can't do anything about it. Gotta bite the bullet on that one.

JetMetFan Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 825483)
R said that when B1 threw the ball it went out of bounds on her untouched By A

So what you're saying is Team B should have had the ball after the time out? If that's the case your partner really messed up...and by association, so did you. During the time out you both should've gotten together and discussed the situation so you were on the same page.

benbret Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:44pm

I tryed to tell him (he was R) He said that R can change anything that put the other team at a disadvantage.

Adam Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:44pm

I'm counting three errors on this.

Make it four; he's full of crap.

stiffler3492 Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 825487)
I tryed to tell him (he was R) He said that R can change anything that put the other team at a disadvantage.

Wow. What level was this?

JetMetFan Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 825487)

My advice?

1. Don't work with this guy again if you can avoid it. He can only get you into trouble.
2. Have him read this forum. It might influence him to get his nose back into his rule book.