The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who Is Your Favorite Official, and Why? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/8909-who-your-favorite-official-why.html)

Love2ref4Ever Sun Jun 08, 2003 06:27pm

I have three favorites that I enjoy watching work. My favorite NBA referee is Tom Washington, he has to be one of the coolest officials that I have ever met. Plus he has to be one of the best conditioned officials in the league and I like to watch him just glide up and down the court. He seems to be getting deeper into the playoffs this year and I hope to see him in the finals. My favorite NCAA men's official is Ted Valentine. He seems to be the best at taking charge when the circumstances calls for it. I have to admit that his cocky attitude is something that I admire, he always seems to be a true leader out on the court. I also enjoy watching Violet Palmer work, I like watching her run the floor and she sems to be one of the most relaxed women officials who I have ever watched on television.

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 08, 2003 07:40pm

Unfortunately, my favorite official of all time is no longer with us - Earl Strom. Read his book, "Calling The Shots" and you'll know why he was my favorite.

Of course, my second favorite official of all time is me. :p

mick Sun Jun 08, 2003 08:00pm

Bert Smith is a stud.

Mark Dexter Sun Jun 08, 2003 08:59pm

I'm about 3/4 through "Calling the Shots" - what an amazing ref and an amazing time to be around basketball.

Runner-up for my favorite ref is Mark Padgett, but only when he's reffing backwards in fishnets and high heels (thankfully this is rarer than a complete solar eclipse).

Favorite ref (of the TV variety) is Reggie Greenwood. He has great presence :p, he takes his time with the table crew, he has fun with the crowds, and he's amiable off the court.

Dan_ref Sun Jun 08, 2003 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Bert Smith is a stud.
Bert is the man.

Matt S. Mon Jun 09, 2003 02:22am

NBA guys

My 2 favs are Bennett Salvatore and Danny Crawford-both have an incredible demeanor on the floor, are classy men, and control player's (and their own) emotions unbelievably well when things heat up.

Plus, ESPN reported them as being 2 of the top 4 officials in the league, according to a survey of coaches!

JugglingReferee Mon Jun 09, 2003 03:05am

JR first lent me Earl's book, "Calling The Shots" and I very much enjoyed it. Although I did watch NBA basketball growing up, I knew nothing about the officials. I didn't start paying any attention to NBA officials until maybe 5 years ago. Having said that, I can see clearly how Earl would be a favorite.

For me, the NBA is Joey Crawford, Violet Palmer, and the African-American official who is built like no other NBA official I've seen. His "V" torso is huge!!!

NC2A is Ted Valentine and I like to watch Phil Bova's way to move around the court - it's funny.

However, I know that I would love to see Dave officiate a game.

We have a local official named Mike Eden who has some of the best mechanics I've ever seen. And he's a great guy, too.

Also, NFL: #85 Hochuli. And the NHL: Ray Scapinello.

DrakeM Mon Jun 09, 2003 06:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
and the African-American official who is built like no other NBA official I've seen. His "V" torso is huge!!!

That would be Tony Brown. He says he owes it all to genetics and "Chick fil-A" :D

brianp134 Mon Jun 09, 2003 07:07am

I have a few, but my top 3 for NCAA is:
Donnee Gray
Reggie Greenwood
Ted Valentine

Woodee Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:08am

My Favorite NBA Refs:

There is this one Ref who is short, combs his hair to the back and runs on his toes and maybe is Italian. He makes officiating look effortless, has good presence and is always serious.

Joey Crawford: always smiles and interacts with the players well and knows the game.

Dick Bavetta: Not good on looks but has that been there, done that approach, because he's been in the league a while and everyone knows it and respects him.

zebraman Tue Jun 10, 2003 09:10am

Danny Crawford. Too cool for words.

Z

Love2ref4Ever Tue Jun 10, 2003 01:50pm

Woodee

Sounds like Scott Foster to me!

JRutledge Tue Jun 10, 2003 02:10pm

Two things.

Danny Crawford in the NBA. Never changes his facial expression or body language despite what is going on around him.

In the NCAA Men's side, I have several. Ed Hightower I have liked from day one. The way he handles the game, the respect he gets from players and coaches.

Teddy Valentine because he takes little crap.

Ted Hilary, he should calls his game.

Peace

Love2ref4Ever Tue Jun 10, 2003 02:53pm

Hey Rut

Do you think Ed Hightower supported Ted Valentine during the famous Bobby Knight game? Or did you see another side of him. I haven't looked at Ed Hightower the same since that game.

JRutledge Tue Jun 10, 2003 03:08pm

Wasn't good all the way around.

Quote:

Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Do you think Ed Hightower supported Ted Valentine during the famous Bobby Knight game? Or did you see another side of him. I haven't looked at Ed Hightower the same since that game.
I did not see the game. I have no idea and neither does many here. I know the year after that happen, Ed Hightower (at an IHSA Rules Meeting) talked about it and was very supportive of Teddy in his comments and did not have the same words toward Knight. I think that situation was a no win for anyone that officiated that night. So I cannot honestly give an opinion about that, because I did not see all the situations that developed. I for the most part have seen the famous shot where Knight walked by Valentine while walking off the court. I know Tommy O'Neil said at his camp during the classroom session, "it is not the responsibilty of the non-calling officials to calm down an irate coach." So if that is what you are refering to, maybe that is why neither Tommy or Ed did things that others wanted them to do? The bottom line is it appears that it was not a good situation for any of them.

Peace