The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you do with the ball during TO/between quarters? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/88973-what-do-you-do-ball-during-between-quarters.html)

Sharpshooternes Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:10pm

What do you do with the ball during TO/between quarters?

During TOs I have seen some officials leave the ball at the spot of the inbound after the timeout. Others carry it with them never leaving it on the floor unattended. Any opinions on or concrete advice?

BillyMac Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:32pm

And Hope That It Doesn't Roll Away ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 824941)
During TOs I have seen some officials leave the ball at the spot of the inbound after the timeout. Others carry it with them never leaving it on the floor unattended. Any opinions on or concrete advice?

Either an official with the ball, or the ball, have to be at the spot. It's best if both are there. Only exception is for an impromptu meeting between officials, which is when only the ball marks the spot.

Sharpshooternes Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:37pm

Is their a difference between 2 or 3 man mechanics? Where is this written?

JRutledge Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:41pm

I always hold onto the ball. Never thought about putting the ball on the floor seriously. Heck do what you want and feel comfortable with, there is not overall right or wrong on this unless your supervisors tell you otherwise.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:43pm

It's Oh So Twentieth Century ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 824947)
Is their a difference between 2 or 3 man mechanics?

Remember. Connecticut is known as the "Land of the IAABO Two Person Game".

Duffman Thu Feb 16, 2012 09:07pm

I either spin it on my finger or practice dribbling between my legs.

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 16, 2012 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 824956)
I either spin it on my finger or practice dribbling between my legs.

I only do that if the band is playing "Sweet Georgia Brown".

buckrog64 Thu Feb 16, 2012 09:41pm

Usually I stand near the throw in spot with the ball under my arm in relation to the direction of the team that will have possession when we resume play. Usually saves a little confusion and a lot of explainin'.

stiffler3492 Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:16pm

Chicks dig the long ball, so I make sure I show it off.

berserkBBK Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 824991)
Chicks dig the long ball, so I make sure I show it off.

Idk what this has to do with the post, but I laughed.
I was told never to leave the ball unattended, have it with you near the spot. No need to be chasing a fan down with the ball that didn't like your previous call.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 824946)
Either an official with the ball, or the ball, have to be at the spot.

Really? Even when the spot is directly in front of a team's bench?

Welpe Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15am

Here our two whistle mechanic is to leave the ball at the throw in spot (or free throw line). In three whistle, the administering official will stand at the spot with the ball.

refiator Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 824947)
Is their a difference between 2 or 3 man mechanics? Where is this written?

In Ga, all time outs we have both free officials at top of key with 3rd official at the throw-in spot.
The IAABO handbook has good diagrams for crew of 2 or 3, with differences for table side throw ins and free throw to follow with crew of 2. (Typically 1 official at spot and the "free" official" facing the table at midcourt.)

The only time the ball would be placed on the floor is in a crew of 2 when the administering official places it there while reporting the TO and then goes back and picks up the ball at the spot of throw in....But I am not in the "Land of IAABO"...so there could be a different opinion :)

Scuba_ref Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:26am

I usually autograph the ball and then throw it into the stands for some lucky fan to collect as a souvenir. :p

constable Fri Feb 17, 2012 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 825001)
Really? Even when the spot is directly in front of a team's bench?

If the thrown in spot is directly in front of the teams bench then you stand inline with your partner. Your partner will be at a spot along the division line for either a 30 or 60 second time out.