The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dang It! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/88922-dang.html)

Loudwhistle2 Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:38am

Dang It!

BV last night, visitors score, Home team player grabs the ball off the floor right under the net and takes off heading down the court. I'm new trail. After his first step, I yell take the ball out. I guess I should have just continued my 5 second count instead and then called the violation. I've seen this a hundred times in 3-6th level play, and I say it all the time, but wish I wouldn't have said anything last night. Visiting coach was all over me and was saying that's a violation!! Why didn't you call it? I said, "not sure the player broke any rules, I should have kept my mouth shut." I feel in my gut it was a violation but I can't pinpoint where I kicked it.

Welpe Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44am

9.2.2 SITUATION C is close to this.

A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1 grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket.

RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)

I'd call the violation as soon as it is clear he has no intention of taking it out.

PG_Ref Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 824709)
BV last night, visitors score, Home team player grabs the ball off the floor right under the net and takes off heading down the court. I'm new trail. After his first step, I yell take the ball out. I guess I should have just continued my 5 second count instead and then called the violation. I've seen this a hundred times in 3-6th level play, and I say it all the time, but wish I wouldn't have said anything last night. Visiting coach was all over me and was saying that's a violation!! Why didn't you call it? I said, "not sure the player broke any rules, I should have kept my mouth shut." I feel in my gut it was a violation but I can't pinpoint where I kicked it.

Throw in violation. See case play 9.2.2

9.2.2 SITUATION C:

A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1 grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket.

RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)

Welpe Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 824717)

Sounds about right...

Loudwhistle2 Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 824717)

9.2.2 SITUATION C:

Thanks to both of you for the responses. The player in this case, after I yelled at them, took about three steps back and went across the endline out of bounds and then threw it to a team mate and away we went. I hadn't finished my 5 second count so I let it go.

PG_Ref Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 824724)
Thanks to both of you for the responses. The player in this case, after I yelled at them, took about three steps back and went across the endline out of bounds and then threw it to a team mate and away we went. I hadn't finished my 5 second count so I let it go.

In a little kids' rec game, that's probably what most would do ... just instruct them to take the ball out. High school games however ...

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 16, 2012 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 824727)
In a little kids' rec game, that's probably what most would do ... just instruct them to take the ball out.

Actually, my local kids rec league has a different philosophy. Even as low as 3rd grade, we make the correct call, then explain it to the kid. This way they remember the rule and that there are consequences to not following the rules. We don't embarrass them, but are very nice and "instructive". It must work OK to do it this way because we've been doing it for 30 years and we can tell there is a much lower number of these infractions as the season moves along.

Loudwhistle2 Thu Feb 16, 2012 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 824757)
Actually, my local kids rec league has a different philosophy. Even as low as 3rd grade, we make the correct call, then explain it to the kid. This way they remember the rule and that there are consequences to not following the rules. We don't embarrass them, but are very nice and "instructive". It must work OK to do it this way because we've been doing it for 30 years and we can tell there is a much lower number of these infractions as the season moves along.

Same here to some degree, first time offenders are allowed to "redo" (wrong I know) we explain the rule tenderly with lots of encouragement, next time we penalize.