The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Assignor Fee (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/8885-assignor-fee.html)

tnroundballref Thu Jun 05, 2003 06:24pm

I am in the process of putting together a summer officials association for AAU,YBOA, and other non-sanctioned tourneys during the spring and summer. I have a pool of around 10 guys currently who travel with me on the weekends working games. My questions are.(1) What do I charge for an assigning fee? (2) Should I request that the tournament director pay me all the cash and let me divide the money (taxes?) or should the director pay each individual? (3)What is the best way to get the word out about the association so that tourney directors will call for our services? (4) What is the average game fee for officials in AAU/YBOA?

I have a YBOA 14u-17u State tourney this weekend with four gyms and 65 games (15 officials). $20 per game per official-officials fee.I stuck my foot in my mouth and said $1 per game per official assigning fee additionally, the tourney director has furished three hotel rooms for my guys travelling from out of town.After all the schedule changes and people dropping out at last minute, I think I undersold myself. Now I know why my HS assignor doesen't have any hair left !!!

BktBallRef Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:44pm

For AAU, we get $22 a game/3 man, and $28 a game/2 man. YBOA came in a couple of years ago, and wouldn't pay our fee. Guess what. They had to find their own officials. What's fair for one is fair for another.

Usually the tourney pays the assignor and the assignor pays the officials. Don't know what he gets paid but I think your fee was in line. But assigning is a headache.

Tim Roden Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:55am

When I called the BCI national tournament, the assignor paid me in cash before I left on the final day. I am not sure how much he kept either. I know he deserved to keep as much as I made and that was quit a bit at $20/game.

rainmaker Fri Jun 06, 2003 08:41am

I'm assigning some games for the first time this summer. I'm getting $42.75 per game, paying each official $20 per game. I will do better next year, but at the moment, I figure I'm getting about 89c per hour. It's not just the refs having emergencies, it's the league director changing things around. Cancel games, add games, different gym, and "oops! I forgot to mention I need all varsity refs for the varsity games." It's kind of fun getting acquainted with lots of folks and finding out who's good and who's not, who gets along and who doesn't. But it sure has been a lot of work.

The two other major summer leagues that operate around here pay $16 JV/$18 varsity, and $15 per game. Most of the minor summer tournaments are between 15 and 20.

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm assigning some games for the first time this summer. I'm getting $42.75 per game, paying each official $20 per game. I will do better next year, but at the moment, I figure I'm getting about 89c per hour.
Juulie - you forgot to mention that my rec league pays $25 for HS level, $20 to experienced officials for all other games and that I take nothing for assigning. How much does that come to per hour? ;)