The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Failure to award a second free throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87775-failure-award-second-free-throw.html)

JerryLundagard Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:12pm

Failure to award a second free throw

Team A is on the line late in the first half for 2 shots. After the 1st shot the ball is rebounded and Team B gets it and takes a last second shot at the buzzer. After both teams are off the court the referees realize that the 2nd shot never took place.

I don't have my books with me at work, so how does the second half begin.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:16pm

One free throw with the lane cleared.

AP throw in at the division line.

tref Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:17pm

Not a great CE official, but Id think we would award the merited FT lane spaces empty & go to the arrow.

What Snaqs said.

Tio Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:19pm

I believe that once the first half ends, the statue of limitations on this particular correctable error expires.

zm1283 Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 821188)
I believe that once the first half ends, the statue of limitations on this particular correctable error expires.

Pretty sure there's a case play on this that says the time frame to correct the error has not passed. You can still correct it.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:21pm

Quote:

Why?

tref Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:23pm

I think the only reuirements are the first live ball, second dead ball thingy. While penalties dont carry over, CEs do.

just another ref Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

In this case, the first half doesn't end until you shoot the second free throw.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 821204)
In this case, the first half doesn't end until you shoot the second free throw.

I don't think that's true.

Consider:

B1 intentionally fouls A1, who makes the basket, as time expires for the 2nd quarter.

Officials mistakenly give A1 only one FT.

FF to the 2nd half. AP throw in for B, ball goes back and forth before B1 finally scores. Horn sounds, because A coach is requesting a C.E.

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821208)
I don't think that's true.

Consider:

B1 intentionally fouls A1, who makes the basket, as time expires for the 2nd quarter.

Officials mistakenly give A1 only one FT.

FF to the 2nd half. AP throw in for B, ball goes back and forth before B1 finally scores. Horn sounds, because A coach is requesting a C.E.

Another halftime correctable error that actually happened. End of half last second shot. Trail rules it a 3. Throw in horns sounds. At halftime crew is talking and calling official says "I'm not sure I got that last 3 right." Partner says his foot was definitely on the line. Crew goes back out before 2nd half starts and changes it from 3 to a 2.

La Rikardo Tue Feb 07, 2012 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 821216)
Another halftime correctable error that actually happened. End of half last second shot. Trail rules it a 3. Throw in horns sounds. At halftime crew is talking and calling official says "I'm not sure I got that last 3 right." Partner says his foot was definitely on the line. Crew goes back out before 2nd half starts and changes it from 3 to a 2.

That's not a correctable error, technically. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's just something the officials can correct at any time.

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 821217)
That's not a correctable error, technically. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's just something the officials can correct at any time.

If the books annotates the points incorrectly that's a bookkeeping error that can be corrected anytime.

The play I described falls under 2-10-1e: Erroneously counting or canceling a score

Camron Rust Tue Feb 07, 2012 04:32pm

Quote:

It is a correctable error....the officials incorrectly indicated how many points were to be recorded....CE time limits apply.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 04:32pm

Quote:

If the official signals correctly and the table gets it wrong, that can be corrected at any time. If the officials signal incorrectly, that must be fixed according to the restrictions of 2-10.

BillyMac Tue Feb 07, 2012 07:10pm

Time Frame ...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3117/3...1520c5cc_m.jpg