The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ball contacts a coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87704-ball-contacts-coach.html)

billyu2 Mon Feb 06, 2012 09:43pm

ball contacts a coach

A deflected pass contacts the HC who happens to be standing partially or completely inbounds. Technical foul or treat the same as the child in 7.1.2C ?

26 Year Gap Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 820823)
A deflected pass contacts the HC who happens to be standing partially or completely inbounds. Technical foul or treat the same as the child in 7.1.2C ?

If he is partially inbounds, then he is partially OOB. Did it hit him in the head? Might be a good "stay in your box" warning.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 820827)
If he is partially inbounds, then he is partially OOB. Did it hit him in the head? Might be a good "stay in your box" warning.

The only thing I'd care do know is whether the ball was "playable" or was going OOB anyway. If the latter, probably nothing. If the former, I'm at least thinking T depending on the circumstances.

PG_Ref Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:55am

Quote:

In either case, he is out of the coaching box (T worthy). Depends on how forgiving you are feeling (and how much of a headache he has been). In the words of Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" Official's choice.

Duffman Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:14am

Quote:

Just cause he's acting like a child doesnt mean you should treat him lime one.

billyu2 Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:26am

Fortunately, it didn't happen; but following the game we were discussing the possibility and how we would have handled it. The circumstances were there wasn't much room between the bench and sideline so when the coach did stand occasionally he was on or partially on the floor. The coach was a perfect gentleman throughout the game and once I did motion for him to move back when he was in my "flight path" during transition. Another factor was the opposing coach got a T by a partner for mouthing off about a call. I know these are the tough decisions we get paid the big $$$ for but just want to get some other opinions.

DrPete Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:07am

I know that on many courts there just isn't much room for a coach to stand without being on the floor. That being said, if the ball hit the coach and that contact kept the ball from going out of bounds against his team (and his team recovered the ball after that), then I think you have to call something.... that's like having a sixth player on the court.

If the ball/coach contact benefited the opposing team, well that's just tough luck. Maybe he'll learn to stay off the court or at least get out of the way of the ball.

BillyMac Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:23pm

Should Be Seen, Not Heard ...

Quote:

7.1.2C

7.1.2 SITUATION C: A1 is dribbling in Team A’s backcourt when the ball is
deflected by B1. The ball gets away and contacts a child who is (a) walking
inbounds (on the playing court); or (b) walking out of bounds. The official sounds
the whistle. RULING: In (a), the ball is not out of bounds since the person contacted,
the child, was inbounds. However, for safety reasons the official should
stop play and resume from the point of interruption. Team A, the team last in control,
will be awarded a throw-in at a spot nearest to where the ball was located
when play was interrupted. B1 has committed an out-of-bounds violation in (b).
(4-36; 7-2-1)