The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm setting up a Referee Registration form on my website. NWAhoops.com My purpose is to have contact info for Refs for leagues, tournaments, and scrimmages. Later on, when our 8 court gym is built I would like to develop a referee apprenticeship where new Refs can get some OJT.

My question is, what information should I gather from potential and current Refs besides the typical contact information? I need to know what you guys have been asked when applying for a job. Also, what does a typical Ref get paid?

Thanks,
Coach Corbitt
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not much at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by NWAhoops

My question is, what information should I gather from potential and current Refs besides the typical contact information?
Years of experience
Top level officiated
Personal information (phones, fax, cell, address)

Anything else is probably not important. I do not see what a database is going to do really to help officials in the long run. This is a who ya know and who knows you business.

Quote:
Originally posted by NWAhoops

I need to know what you guys have been asked when applying for a job. Also, what does a typical Ref get paid?

Honestly I do not "apply" for any jobs. The most I might do is call an assignor and tell him that I am availible to work in his conference or league. Most of the time I and other officials (that I know personally) are called by assignors themselves. Mainly because other officials gave different names of individual from fellow officials to see their availibility in the first place. So I get request all the time to work leagues or conferences I know nothing about. The only "applying" that officials do is going to camps. That is where many of us get hired or move up from previous levels.

BTW, about the pay, that is entirely different based on the league, conference or part of the country you live. I have been paid anywhere from $15-120 for one game. So you might need to check with your local officials on this topic. Because it will be the standards of those officials that will determine what they will accept as pay or not accept.

Peace
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input. The reason I need a database is, in this case I will be the assignor for leagues, tourneys, and scrimmages. Currently, I don't know many refs and the one's I do know, I have no idea how open they are to working a 4th grade scrimmage on Sunday afternoon for $15. :0) Here's what I have so far. Let me know what I should change.

Referee Registration Form"

Old Wed May 28, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Availability
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Done! Any other suggestions?
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Going into this without knowing the local talent pool might be rough to start with. There are lots of "intangibles" that might pop up: actual skill level vs claimed skill level, reliability (are they gonna show up? are they gonna call you a half hour before their game with an excuse?), personality (are they gonna get into a shoving match with an upset coach? are they gonna get into a shouting match with their partner), etc etc. And you still don't know what the going rates are. It's a great idea to train your own refs as you get going, but who's gonna do the training? It might be worth it for you to have a ref who's done this before assign for you. Call around to a local high school & find out how their games are assigned and ask if here's a local official's association. If there is (and I betcha there is) get the associaton president's number and give him a call. These 2 calls might save you many, many calls in your first years as you come up to speed.

Good luck

Old Wed May 28, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Going into this without knowing the local talent pool might be rough to start with. There are lots of "intangibles" that might pop up: actual skill level vs claimed skill level, reliability (are they gonna show up? are they gonna call you a half hour before their game with an excuse?), personality (are they gonna get into a shoving match with an upset coach? are they gonna get into a shouting match with their partner), etc etc. And you still don't know what the going rates are. It's a great idea to train your own refs as you get going, but who's gonna do the training? It might be worth it for you to have a ref who's done this before assign for you. Call around to a local high school & find out how their games are assigned and ask if here's a local official's association. If there is (and I betcha there is) get the associaton president's number and give him a call. These 2 calls might save you many, many calls in your first years as you come up to speed.

Good luck

Dan's right, as usual. The suggestion about the local high school assignor is the best thing you could do. If he won't help you, he should at least give you the numbers or names of some other local recreation assignors who could help you out.
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Great suggestions guys. Here is what I have so far.

Click here

Any Refs in NW Arkansas??
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

You may find this software useful

http://www.assignmentmaker.com