The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Official error # FT's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87063-official-error-fts.html)

Bart Tyson Mon Jan 30, 2012 07:10pm

Official error # FT's

This was on the ncaa quiz. Official informs the players along the lane that two ft's are being awarded to A1 when A1 should have received a one-and-one bonus instead. While all other players remain inactive, A2 rebounds the first unsuccessful attempt and scores a field goal. What is the correct procedure for the official?

Triad zebra Mon Jan 30, 2012 08:13pm

8.6.1 The officials error clearly put one team at a disadvantage. The official should whistle the ball dead immediately and put the ball in play using the alternating-possession procedure.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 31, 2012 04:45am

The NCAA ruling is very clear in the Case Book. I'm not sure why you are posting this. Is there some point which you are trying to call to our attention?
(BTW the ruling in HS is the same as another forum member has posted above.)

Ball in Play When Free Throw is Missed
A.R. 204.
The official informs the players along the free-throw lane that two
free throws shall be awarded when a one-and-one bonus is in effect.
(1) While all other players remain inactive, A2 rebounds the ball
and successfully scores a goal. The official discovers that he or
she misinformed the players; or
(2) B2 rebounds the ball and passes it to the official, who is
positioned out of bounds. The official discovers that he or she
misinformed the players.

RULING: The official’s misinformation to the players caused the
inactivity. As a result, in both (1) and (2), the ball shall be put in play
with the use of the alternating-possession arrow. In (1), A2’s goal shall
not count. A1 did attempt his or her merited free throw, so there is no
error to correct. When any time has elapsed off the game clock and the
official has knowledge of this time, he or she shall rectify the situation.
(Rule 8-5, 4-53.2.d and 5-11.1)

Scrapper1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 01:51pm

There is one interesting discrepancy between the NCAA and the NFHS case plays. The NCAA case does not tell us what to do if both teams ignore the official's incorrect information and contest the rebound.

Earlier this season, I had a very lengthy discussion of this play with a VERY good D1 official who insisted that as soon as the try is attempted after the incorrect information, you MUST go to the arrow if it is unsuccessful. I told him I was 100% sure that you play on if both teams contest the rebound. He didn't believe me and then eventually said "That may be true in HS, but not in college".

That forced me to look up both case plays. Obviously, I'm right for the NFHS rules, but the NCAA case play simply doesn't support either answer. To me, common sense says that if the players are playing, let them keep playing. But he was adamant that you stop play and go to the arrow.

tref Tue Jan 31, 2012 02:03pm

How about the C who just called the foul, blow his/her whistle & make it right. IJS

bob jenkins Tue Jan 31, 2012 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 818690)
How about the C who just called the foul, blow his/her whistle & make it right. IJS

Sure -- that's the best way. But, what if it doesn't happen? Not every official is as good as you. ;)

Also of interest (to me) from the quiz: What to do if B doesn't occupy the lowest two spaces.

curlingrocks Tue Jan 31, 2012 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 818693)
)

Also of interest (to me) from the quiz: What to do if B doesn't occupy the lowest two spaces.

Delayed violation

Adam Tue Jan 31, 2012 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlingrocks (Post 818706)
Delayed violation

Only if you missed it (or RPP after a TO). Otherwise, if you're directing the coach to provide you two bodies for the lower block and he refuses; the answer is different.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 31, 2012 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 818707)
Only if you missed it (or RPP after a TO). Otherwise, if you're directing the coach to provide you two bodies for the lower block and he refuses; the answer is different.

NCAA and NFHS are different when it's after a foul (not resumption of play). That's the part that was interesting (and new) to me. Fortunately, I've never had anyone refuse to put players there.

curlingrocks Tue Jan 31, 2012 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 818707)

Right, but the answer to the quiz question was essentially delayed violation.