The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Running Backwards (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87023-running-backwards.html)

Loudwhistle2 Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:40am

Running Backwards

I have a friend/ref partner (have to be careful how you use the word partner these days) that works with me on the court. He's one that I give constructive criticism to at different times. Well, I've told him numerous times not to run backwards because its dangerous and it reveals to the whole gym who the new guy is. Last weekend I'm center moving up the floor on a fast break and something catches my eye across the court. Just ahead of the two players who are smoking towards the basket I see a ref sliding on his arse with his arms angled up to the sky. Of course its my partner and he's fallen and he's doing a marvelous job of mopping the floor from the 3pt line to the end line. Whole crowd cracks up. Luckily he wasn't hurt and of course at half time I ask him why he was indicating a good three point attempt when the ball hadn't even been released.:D Well this weekend we're back on the court BV and I glance across the court and he's still running backwards! Oh well!

tref Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:45am

You can lead a horse to water...

Rufus Mon Jan 30, 2012 01:30pm

Out of curiosity does he provide any reason why he continues to run backward?

SNIPERBBB Mon Jan 30, 2012 01:52pm

Running backwards is hard enough on your legs because the muscles just aren't built for that motion. Let alone not being able to see a potential tripping hazard behind you....

Loudwhistle2 Mon Jan 30, 2012 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 818167)
Out of curiosity does he provide any reason why he continues to run backward?

No, just likes to do it. I've told him if you change any one thing I've commented on stop running backwards! Of course if you want your wife wiping you because you've injured your spine then continue on.

Raymond Mon Jan 30, 2012 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 818194)
No, just likes to do it. I've told him if you change any one thing I've commented on stop running backwards! Of course if you want your wife wiping you because you've injured your spine then continue on.

My reason for not liking has nothing to do with possibly tripping. My thing is if you are running backwards what are you looking at? Definitely not the players headed to the paint and post areas. If you are trying to help with action along your sideline you're not much help b/c you are going away from said action. If you are trying to help you need to stop and officiate.

I see absolutely no benefit to it.

Toren Mon Jan 30, 2012 02:28pm

I haven't run backwards since my first season of refereeing. But this last Saturday I had one possession where I beat the kids up the court and my head was turn as it always is, and for some reason my body turned and I found myself back pedaling.

It was the weirdest feeling in the world and I didn't like it one bit. Luckily, nothing bad happened and it just left me wondering what happened. :confused:

tref Mon Jan 30, 2012 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 818213)
My reason for not liking has nothing to do with possibly tripping. My thing is if you are running backwards what are you looking at?

The Ball!

KJUmp Mon Jan 30, 2012 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 818136)
Well this weekend we're back on the court BV and I glance across the court and he's still running backwards! Oh well!

How does he keep up with HSBV players in transition running backwards?

Camron Rust Mon Jan 30, 2012 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 818365)
How does he keep up with HSBV players in transition running backwards?

Easy to do if you never come into the frontcourt!:eek:

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2012 06:20pm

And As Trail, When The Shot Goes Up, They Are Already Bailing ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 818367)
Easy to do if you never come into the frontcourt!

I was thinking the same thing. We've all seen those guys, haven't we?

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 30, 2012 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 818213)
My reason for not liking has nothing to do with possibly tripping. My thing is if you are running backwards what are you looking at? Definitely not the players headed to the paint and post areas. If you are trying to help with action along your sideline you're not much help b/c you are going away from said action. If you are trying to help you need to stop and officiate.

I see absolutely no benefit to it.

It's funny how running backwards is not frowned upon in football, but in basketball it is.

I've been working college football as a deep guy for 6 years now and I've fallen exactly zero times. High school, 7 years and zero falls.

In football, I have receivers spread out over a much wider distance than a basketball court.

While I don't do it in a basketball game, if I had to, I could do it and maintain coverage. ;) So could anyone really.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 30, 2012 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 818381)
It's funny how running backwards is not frowned upon in football, but in basketball it is.

I've been working college football as a deep guy for 6 years now and I've fallen exactly zero times. High school, 7 years and zero falls.

In football, I have receivers spread out over a much wider distance than a basketball court.

While I don't do it in a basketball game, if I had to, I could do it and maintain coverage. ;) So could anyone really.

And how much deeper than the players are you when you know they're coming your way? 20 yards? 30 yards? In basketball, you'd already be positioned on the endline as the new lead at those distances. You've got a LOT longer to anticipate your movements before the receivers get to you than you do when there is a steal at the top of the key and you have to get to the other end NOW.

grunewar Mon Jan 30, 2012 07:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 818138)

....but you can't make it get in a bathing suit! :p

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2012 07:19pm

Enjoy, You're Welcome ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 818138)

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 818388)
....but you can't make it get in a bathing suit! :p

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...1bfb5ec21f8290