The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How soon on a correctable error? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86718-how-soon-correctable-error.html)

Brick43 Thu Jan 26, 2012 08:40pm

How soon on a correctable error?

I understand the rule says an error must be corrected no LATER than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started but how SOON can you correct?

I had a game this w/e. A foul is committed and the table said we were not in the bonus. We put the ball in play. No sooner does the ball get in-bounded does the table admit fault and say it is the 7th foul. The ball is live and my original thought was to blow the whistle, stop play and award the free throws. But I waited until the first dead ball.

I am reading the rule book and the case studies but they all discuss the error being found during the 1st dead or later. SO I don't see anything that says I did this incorrectly but I was so tempted to call the play dead. Then I got to thinking how soon is too soon?

truerookie Thu Jan 26, 2012 08:47pm

According to 2-10, you could have blown the ball dead awarded the free to the individual entitled and started play again at the point of interruption 4-36.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 26, 2012 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick43 (Post 817048)
I understand the rule says an error must be corrected no LATER than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started but how SOON can you correct?

I had a game this w/e. A foul is committed and the table said we were not in the bonus. We put the ball in play. No sooner does the ball get in-bounded does the table admit fault and say it is the 7th foul. The ball is live and my original thought was to blow the whistle, stop play and award the free throws. But I waited until the first dead ball.

If you blow the whistle, you're now at the first dead ball.

Blow the whistle.

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 817050)
According to 2-10, you could have blown the ball dead awarded the free to the individual entitled and started play again at the point of interruption 4-36.

Point of interruption? :confused:

BktBallRef Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 817050)

Team A had the ball. There is no change of possession. Resume play with A1 taking his FTs.

Lotto Fri Jan 27, 2012 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 817087)
Team A had the ball. There is no change of possession. Resume play with A1 taking his FTs.

...and if you wait to correct the error, there might be a change of possession (missed shot or steal) and you would have to go to PoI after the corrected FTs, which is a less desirable situation. Blow the whistle immediately and correct.

Brick43 Fri Jan 27, 2012 01:26pm

As always thanks all!

truerookie Sat Jan 28, 2012 01:28pm

@ Scrapper and BBR, correct. I misread the OP. there wasn't a change of possession. Award the free throws normally.