The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA D1 Basketball Officials

I have some curiousity questions about NCAA D1 basketball officials. I am hoping to get serious responses and no responses such as look it up.

Does each official get paid the same amount? And what is that amount? Does it differ for major and mid-major conferences? Do referees earn more than umpires? And is there a per diem?

My understanding also is that conferences and schools can request certain officials and the officials pick out games they want to work. Is that accurate?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor74 View Post
i have some curiousity questions about ncaa d1 basketball officials. I am hoping to get serious responses and no responses such as look it up.

Does each official get paid the same amount?

not necessarily

and what is that amount?

depends

does it differ for major and mid-major conferences?

yes

do referees earn more than umpires?

typically (because they are usually on a higher tier) but not necessarily

and is there a per diem?

depends

my understanding also is that conferences and schools can request certain officials and the officials pick out games they want to work. Is that accurate?

not really, schools i guess could ask but the assignors are going to ultimately be the decider. Games are assigned and the officials can accept or decline, typically the latter is based on a myrid of factors, how comfortable the official is with the assignor, your travel plans around that date, etc.
hth
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor74 View Post
I have some curiousity questions about NCAA D1 basketball officials. I am hoping to get serious responses and no responses such as look it up.
OK.

Quote:
Does each official get paid the same amount? And what is that amount? Does it differ for major and mid-major conferences? Do referees earn more than umpires? And is there a per diem?
This really depends on each conferences. There is a tier pay for some conferences and they pay officials based off of their "level" or "standing." Not sure how they judge this, but I guy like Steve Welmer would get paid more working in some Mid-Majors than a guy that was not at his standing.

Quote:
My understanding also is that conferences and schools can request certain officials and the officials pick out games they want to work. Is that accurate?
No that is not the case. The Supervisor picks the officials. Now they are not stupid, they pick certain guys for the high profile games and I am sure they know who is liked or respected.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...Does each official get paid the same amount? And what is that amount? Does it differ for major and mid-major conferences? Do referees earn more than umpires? And is there a per diem?
Each conference has its own pay scale(s). There is no "major conference " fee vs. "mid-major conference" fee. ACC does not pay the say as the Big East. The CAA doesn't pay the same as the MVC. The Big South doesn't pay the same as the MEAC.