The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Three for the opponent? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86543-three-opponent.html)

bainsey Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:37am

Three for the opponent?

Take a look at the linked video of a player who saved a ball from out of bounds, and the ball went in the opponent's basket.

The story said that the player scored three for the opposing team, so I figured the story was erroneous. (By rule, you can only score two for the opponent.) However, if you see the trail (or center?) official, it appears he signals with three fingers.

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 816190)
Take a look at the linked video of a player who saved a ball from out of bounds, and the ball went in the opponent's basket.

The story said that the player scored three for the opposing team, so I figured the story was erroneous. (By rule, you can only score two for the opponent.) However, if you see the trail (or center?) official, it appears he signals with three fingers.

YU.P. - that's a 2-pointer.

Freddy Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:54am

Not Seriously

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 816190)

So, if he was fouled on that heroic OOB "save", would he be required to shoot one FT at that opponent's basket? :D

tjones1 Tue Jan 24, 2012 09:12am

I actually worked in this tournament (about 5 miles from where I live).

I was there on Monday and Wednesday. I believe this occurred on Friday.

From what I understand, about a minute or so later it was correctly ruled as 2 points.

Zoochy Tue Jan 24, 2012 09:41am

Seriously

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 816196)
So, if he was fouled on that heroic OOB "save", would he be required to shoot one FT at that opponent's basket? :D

Basket would not count. Maybe Free throws at the other end if team is in the bonus

Adam Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 816203)
I actually worked in this tournament (about 5 miles from where I live).

I was there on Monday and Wednesday. I believe this occurred on Friday.

From what I understand, about a minute or so later it was correctly ruled as 2 points.

Hmm. I hope the CE time limit hadn't expired.

mbyron Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 816226)
Hmm. I hope the CE time limit hadn't expired.

No smiley?

Adam Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 816238)
No smiley?

No, but perhaps I'm missing something...?

tref Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:17am

I thought you were covered by 2.10.1 J

mbyron Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 816244)
No, but perhaps I'm missing something...?

Ah, no. I thought this wasn't a CE but a scorekeeping error. Upon further review, if the officials signal 3 when it should be 2, that IS indeed a CE situation. :o

BillyMac Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:34pm

Let's Play What If ...

Look at the video again, and imagine this play.

After White 3 saved the ball, and threw it backwards, what would the call be if Green 1, had touched the ball while he was behind the three point line? He did come pretty close to touching the ball, so the play is possible.

Note that I asked about Green 1 simply touching the ball. I didn't say that Green 1 made a try for goal.

HawkeyeCubP Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816389)
Look at the video again, and imagine this play.

After White 3 saved the ball, and threw it backwards, what would the call be if Green 1, had touched the ball while he was behind the three point line? He did come pretty close to touching the ball, so the play is possible.

Note that I asked about Green 1 simply touching the ball. I didn't say that Green 1 made a try for goal.

My brain hurts.

bainsey Wed Jan 25, 2012 01:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816389)
After White 3 saved the ball, and threw it backwards, what would the call be if Green 1, had touched the ball while he was behind the three point line?

Citing 5-2-1, and since a touch here is not a try, a tap, or a throw, I'm going with two points.