Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm still confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
2. In game two early 2nd quarter, A1 driving toward the basket, still above the free throw line on a fast break, dribbles the ball off of this thigh, sending the ball about 10 in the air. The ball lands near the endline, but stays inbounds. A1 runs to ball, but doesn't want to recover it. He stands there with his arms out looking like he is afraid to touch the ball. He finally recovers the ball and passes it to a A2, who shots and makes a basket. A1 coach is wanting a travel. I tell him that it was not a travel and that I judged it as a fumbled dribble. Pardner tells him the same at next dead ball when pardner was near him, as is still questioning the call. At half time pardner tells me that there is no rules support to have a travel, even if it was the old "self-pass". I disagree with that but he is adamant and I let it drop.
How are you disagreeing with this? What scenario do you see that makes this a travel?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm still confused:

How are you disagreeing with this? What scenario do you see that makes this a travel?
I was thinking of 4.44.3 sit. D, (b). Nothing made me think of traveling during the play in question.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
I was thinking of 4.44.3 sit. D, (b). Nothing made me think of traveling during the play in question.
1. Your partner may have thought of this play as an illegal dribble (which it used to be, and which more closely adheres to the wording and history of the rules).

2. Was he really arguing that this play was legal? IOW, even if you were thinking of it, was he? Since it in no way comes close to the play you had, how was this play even part of the argument? Was this what the coach thought happened?

3. When the coach offered to pull out the rule book, I would have informed him that the game (even half time) is not the place for this.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. Your partner may have thought of this play as an illegal dribble (which it used to be, and which more closely adheres to the wording and history of the rules).
Maybe, but I doubt it, especially since his padner was having a spitting contest with coach over the rule book.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Maybe, but I doubt it, especially since his padner was having a spitting contest with coach over the rule book.
Yeah, that doesn't help with the whole "other side of the argument" thing here.

I'm still doubting whether the partner was actually arguing the 4.44.3Db play is legal. He was probably thinking of a fumbled gather or an airball shot attempt rather than a purposeful toss.