The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Need feedback (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86390-need-feedback.html)

The Ref Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:44pm

Need feedback

I was just made aware of a situation that I need some feedback about:

A basketball referee is sending unsolicited scouting reports to the opposing teams that are coming to play their local high school. This official is an employee of said high school and a former coach at the high school.

What should, if anything, come of this? What are my responsibilities as a fellow referee? Do I need to notify my state association?

HELP!!!

26 Year Gap Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:50pm

Who told you about this happening? It is definitely unethical, but you may want to talk to an association officer about what you have heard and how you heard it. Hearsay can be an awful thing.

The Ref Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:54pm

A coach who received one of the scouting reports told the school's AD who in turn contacted me.

26 Year Gap Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ref (Post 815509)
A coach who received one of the scouting reports told the school's AD who in turn contacted me.

I would advise the AD to contact your association.

deecee Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:57pm

Who cares. Nothing illegal here.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ref (Post 815509)

What kind of "scouting report?"

The Ref Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:38pm

Detailed, 2-page scouting reports of the home team.

Adam Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 815510)
I would advise the AD to contact your association.

+1
And I would be cautious about what sort of personal information you share with this guy just in case you make him mad some day.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54pm

Personally, I think that maybe more of an issue for the high school that employs him.

The fact that he's an official really doesn't have anything to do with it, especially since I'm 99% sure he doesn't officiate his own high school's games.

BballRookie Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:14am

I just looked in the case book/rules book and I couldn't find it, but somewhere doesn't it say that nothing that can be used as a scouting report can be compiled by an official for a high school?

Does anyone know where this is located?

rockyroad Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:23am

To the Op'er, does this official work games in the same league or conference as the high school he is sending scouting reports on? If so, that's a huge conflict of interest and your local association needs to do something about it. As others have said, the AD needs to get on the phone to the assignor or board members of the association.

The Ref Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39am

This official works in the same conference as the high school in question. Their local association is comprised of 6-10 officials and this particular official does work the games at the high school that they are providing scouting reports against.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 22, 2012 01:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ref (Post 815558)
This official works in the same conference as the high school in question. Their local association is comprised of 6-10 officials and this particular official does work the games at the high school that they are providing scouting reports against.

That is a big no-no. But, in small rural areas, similar things are probably not uncommon.

ga314ref Sun Jan 22, 2012 01:42am

If that's the standard...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 815511)
Who cares. Nothing illegal here.

...then, yeah, who cares. Otherwise, it seems like a case of questionable ethics. And an official with questionable ethics makes people wonder if the rest of us might do anything for a buck. Works for me.

JRutledge Sun Jan 22, 2012 03:40am

It is an ethics issue if he is giving reports from games he has worked. I do not see it that way if he is going out and scouting for his HS that he works for outside of officiating the teams in question.

I guess you could report it, but be careful with that when you do not know for sure he is doing this. You could get yourself in the middle of something you do not want to handle.

Peace