The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Awarding a Free Throw During Disqualification

High School Rules:

B1 fouls A1 during an unsuccessful 2point attempt. While the Trail official is handling the disqualification substitute, the Lead official administers the first free throw, which is successful. What is the ruling? Please give me some rules references so that I can reply to this email. Thank you fellas!

clh
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

The ruling is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
High School Rules:

B1 fouls A1 during an unsuccessful 2point attempt. While the Trail official is handling the disqualification substitute, the Lead official administers the first free throw, which is successful. What is the ruling? Please give me some rules references so that I can reply to this email. Thank you fellas!

clh
...a made free-throw, and, apparently, a partner who has a bus to catch.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Well I would mention the five situations that are correctable errors...and point out the fact that the free throw is still merited as the free thrower was awarded two free throws.

I don't believe there's a case book play exactly like the one in your post.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, here's your case book play

4.14.1 SITUATION C: A1 is fouled by B2 and is awarded two free throws. The foul is B2's fifth foul. The new trail official reports the fifth foul to Team B's coach. Before a substitute is made, the lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw. The officials realize the error and huddle to discuss the situation. RULING: The result of the first attempt shall stand. Team B's head coach shall be notified of B2's disqualification. Once B2 has been replaced, A1 shall attempt the second free throw. COMMENT: This is an official's error and not a correctable error situation according to Rule 2-10. (6-1-2c; 10-5-2; 2-8-3)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.