The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help on this ref mistake. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86292-help-ref-mistake.html)

kzooref Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:42am

Help on this ref mistake.

A girls gets fouled and makes the hoop and receives one additional FT. The referee mistakenly tells everyone two shots. Nobody realizes this is wrong except one player on the shooters team who get the rebound and puts in the bucket. What is the ruling? I would have waived off the basket and went to the possession arrow but I am not sure what the correct ruling is. The refs in this situation did nothing and let the bucket stand. Please provide me a reference as well. Thanks!

johnnyg08 Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:52am

Not sure about basketball, but in other sports, the players are responsible for knowing the situation even if it is misstated by the official. I doubt that this would go to the possession arrow, but there are much better basketball people than me on here.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzooref (Post 815098)
A girls gets fouled and makes the hoop and receives one additional FT. The referee mistakenly tells everyone two shots. Nobody realizes this is wrong except one player on the shooters team who get the rebound and puts in the bucket. What is the ruling? I would have waived off the basket and went to the possession arrow but I am not sure what the correct ruling is. The refs in this situation did nothing and let the bucket stand. Please provide me a reference as well. Thanks!

Didn't we just have a thread on this yesterday? See 8.6.1

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 815101)
Not sure about basketball,

?

Smitty Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 815101)
Not sure about basketball, but in other sports, the players are responsible for knowing the situation even if it is misstated by the official. I doubt that this would go to the possession arrow, but there are much better basketball people than me on here.

Why would you even respond - how could your answer be helpful in any possible way?

kzooref Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:08am

No not the same as yesterday

I am in airport and do not have rulebook with me. In this case the refs knew the basket went in. I think the administering ref was just not paying attention. he was very experienced and giving a half assed effort all game IMO because it was a girls game.

So again the original bucket counted. What happens to the bucket scored after the first FT was missed and only one play went after the rebound?

Does that basket count or do you go to possession arrow after the first FT was missed?

Eastshire Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:12am

Read this thread from yesterday.

kzooref Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:16am

I did and just said this is not the same. The first FT was missed, rebounded and put in. The coach screamed immediately and the refs conferred. So the error was discovered as the clock started running.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:20am

If an official gives incorrect information, and only 1 player goes for the rebound, then go to the arrow.

kzooref Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:25am

Thanks Bob I agree with this thinking. I will checked the referenced rules later when I have my book but assume your answer is backed by the rules as opposed to what seems fair?

Loudwhistle2 Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzooref (Post 815118)
Thanks Bob I agree with this thinking. I will checked the referenced rules later when I have my book but assume your answer is backed by the rules as opposed to what seems fair?

You can take Bob's answers to the bank. Of course his answer is backed by the rules, he gave it earlier in this thread: 8.6.1.

BillyMac Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:32pm

Officials provide erroneous information

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 815102)
Didn't we just have a thread on this yesterday? See 8.6.1

8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw
situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that
two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is
rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another
throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw;
or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound.
The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's
error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and
didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and
resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an
attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to
gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)

johnnyg08 Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 815106)
Why would you even respond - how could your answer be helpful in any possible way?

two cents. I admitted that I wasn't claiming to know and that I was simply guessing.

who knows, sometimes lucky guesses are fun