The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Anyone worked a blowout this bad? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86158-anyone-worked-blowout-bad.html)

twocentsworth Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:50pm

Anyone worked a blowout this bad?

Toccoa Falls Eagles vs. Western Carolina Catamounts - Box Score - January 17, 2012 - ESPN

141 - 39! Ouch!!!!

Box score says the attendance was 1,431....I know why the 3 guys in stripes were there (D1 paycheck!) - not sure why everyone else was there!

Can't imagine having to pay to see that!!!!

grunewar Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:54pm

141 is a lot. Running Rebels? :)

We discussed something similar (more at the HS level) a few days ago.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-blow-out.html

I worked a G Varsity game last week that was 103-12. Talk about OUCH!

Yep, the visiting fans (several of them) paid to see it too. :(

just another ref Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:56pm

Which makes it worse, margin of victory, or the ratio of winner to loser?

Worst I ever saw: When I was a kid, GV. 84-4

Worst I ever officiated: BV cross town rivalry. 100-29

Worst this year: GV 40-7

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 18, 2012 04:59pm

On an opposite note...

...our local kids rec league had a 3/4 grade girls game earlier this season with a final score of 4-0. It was 0-0 at halftime.

bainsey Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 814567)
Which makes it worse, margin of victory, or the ratio of winner to loser?

If the latter, I still submit my boys' MS final score of 73-3. (I've told this here before.) It was 52-0 after three quarters, and took a technical foul (second DOG, both plane violations) to get the visitors on the board.

It was, and will probably be, the ONLY time I reported the technical to the coach, and the coach thanked me! ("ANYTHING you can do for these guys...!")

grunewar Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:27pm

I've told this before too......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 814590)
...our local kids rec league had a 3/4 grade girls game earlier this season with a final score of 4-0. It was 0-0 at halftime.

I had a MS game early in my career that was 0-0 after the first quarter. I went over to the table to see if all was well and the AD looked at me and said, "I've been doing this for 25 yrs, and that's six minutes of my life I'll never get back." :p

grunewar Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:31pm

According to Around the Horn.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 814565)
141 - 39! Ouch!!!!

Nine players in double figures and the third largest beating in NCAA history.

Apparently these teams have had several 50 point spreads before.

just another ref Wed Jan 18, 2012 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 814593)
If the latter, I still submit my boys' MS final score of 73-3. (

This one qualifies in both departments.

Rich Wed Jan 18, 2012 06:18pm

71-5, 88-12, 39-7.

All this season.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 18, 2012 07:04pm

I didn't work the contest, but this is the worst that I've heard of so far this season.

Prep Blog: Johnson Warriors girls basketball coach applauds team's resolve, courage after losing 105-2 to No. 4 Florin

A couple of days later they lost 73-3.

twocentsworth Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:50pm

Back when Billy Tubbs was coaching @ Oaklahoma, he beat Northeastern Illinois Univ (which dropped bball about 10 years ago) by 95 and said after the game (I'm paraphrasing) "we just paid them $15k to play us. they should take that money and go find better players!"...classic Billy Tubbs.

eyezen Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04pm

I had never heard of them so did some googling...

TFC is an (obviously) small college in Georgia affliated with the NCCAA. This was posted on the front page of their web site:

"Pray for both the Men's and Women's Basketball teams as they travel to Florida for games tomorrow and Saturday."

Maybe they forgot to pray before heading up to North Carolina and shazam! :eek:

JRutledge Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 814565)
Toccoa Falls Eagles vs. Western Carolina Catamounts - Box Score - January 17, 2012 - ESPN

141 - 39! Ouch!!!!

Box score says the attendance was 1,431....I know why the 3 guys in stripes were there (D1 paycheck!) - not sure why everyone else was there!

Can't imagine having to pay to see that!!!!

I did in a playoff game some years ago. It was teams that were certainly mismatched and the score was like 139-40. I would have to look it up and find the score, but it was out there. Believe it or not the team did not press that much or try to "run it up" to speak. The team that lost so bad they kept throwing the ball away and any pressure turned the ball over. Miserable game for sure.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Jan 19, 2012 07:35am

Went To A Basketball Game ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 814590)

... and had a hockey game broke out.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03pm

Speaking of blowouts, there were two HS games around here last night that I have connections to. First, the HS attended by two of my grandkids lost their boys V game 80-29. It was 25-2 at the end of Q1 and 52-9 at the half. Second, my local HS where all of my kids went won their girls V game 61-16. It was 28-0 at the end of Q1 and 41-5 at the half. Yowch!

BTW - when I mentioned the scores from our local kids rec league 3/4 grade girls game above, I failed to mention that they shoot at 9 foot hoops and no zones are allowed. Usually those teams score in the upper 20s to mid 30s.

And - of course, I made sure we have a no overtime rule. :p