The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Love The Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86140-love-game.html)

bainsey Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23am

Love The Game

A friend of mine posted this recently, and I thought it was also applicable to what we do. If anyone knows the author, please speak up.

"Love the game. Love the game for the pure joy of accomplishment. Love the game for everything it can teach you about yourself. Love the game for the feeling of belonging to a group endeavoring to do its best. Love the game for being involved in a team whose members can't wait to see you do your best. Love the game for the challenge of working harder than you ever have at something and then harder than that. Love the game because it takes all team members to give it life. Love the game because at its best, the game tradition will include your contributions. Love the game because you belong to a long line of fine athletes who have loved it. It is now your legacy. Love the game so much that you will pass on your love of the game to another athlete who has seen your dedication, your work, your challenges, your triumphs... and then that athlete will, because of you, love the game."

Brick43 Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28am

Not a clue on the author but I just cut and pasted to save. I love quotes. This might have to be a practice speech..... Thanks for sharing

Loudwhistle2 Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 814466)
A friend of mine posted this recently, and I thought it was also applicable to what we do. If anyone knows the author, please speak up.

"Love the game. Love the game for the pure joy of accomplishment. Love the game for everything it can teach you about yourself. Love the game for the feeling of belonging to a group endeavoring to do its best. Love the game for being involved in a team whose members can't wait to see you do your best. Love the game for the challenge of working harder than you ever have at something and then harder than that. Love the game because it takes all team members to give it life. Love the game because at its best, the game tradition will include your contributions. Love the game because you belong to a long line of fine athletes who have loved it. It is now your legacy. Love the game so much that you will pass on your love of the game to another athlete who has seen your dedication, your work, your challenges, your triumphs... and then that athlete will, because of you, love the game."

This reminds me of a saying that a fellow poster had on this forum about 4 years ago, it said something like this: "To play the game is good, to win is even better, but to love the game is best!" I still say that to myself and agree 100% with it.

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 18, 2012 02:12pm

I think it's a quote from Tim Donaghy. :p

7IronRef Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:35pm

Is that from Romeo and Juliet? :D

Loudwhistle2 Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 814561)
Is that from Romeo and Juliet? :D

I thought it was from Mick but not sure, I was hoping Billy Mac would remember.