The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:50am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Of course I feel I'm always in control. It's our job to be.
Right. My point is, coaches know this fact, and it probably prevented more bad choices. It's tough to prove, but I believe, safe to assume.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
+1. Had an 8th grade girls game last night. We should have whacked both coaches for ABS after warning both, and my partner had to go to game management about a fan.
You say you should have whacked both. Why didn't you? If you say you should have whacked them, they obviously deserved it. Why did you let unsporting behavior go unpunished?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdudik View Post
You say you should have whacked both. Why didn't you? If you say you should have whacked them, they obviously deserved it. Why did you let unsporting behavior go unpunished?
Hindsight is 20/400 or something like that...
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

RichMSN "My line doesn't move much, if at all."

I agree with this for the most part. I'll let my line move a little with a coach when I miss or blow a call, but I'm not going to eat a load of crap about it either.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure. I was hoping the warnings would do it. I was also a little surprised that it was happening in an 8th grade game. I could tell my partner was reluctant, so I should have made sure that as a crew we were strong.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 03:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Had a double T last night. My first double of the season. A1 drives to the basket and charges into B1, and both players fall to the floor. Partner goes to table (probably a little too quickly) to report the foul. A2 comes over to help A1 up. A2 and B1 get their legs a little tangled and B1 then extends a leg to try to trip up A2. A2 turns and tells B1 to attempt an unnatural act. Whack! Whack!
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Scrapper "A2 turns and tells B1 to attempt an unnatural act."

Wonderful word choice, still laughing!
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a first

in a varsity boys game the other night. After hearing a bit from a coach and giving him a couple of half-hearted stop signs, an official hits his whistle and stops play...not for a T, but for a warning. He lets table and partners know he is warning coach, kinda like a DOG. Opposing team, who had ball at time (following no-call that I guess set off coach) now has to restart, put the ball back in play with a throw in and allows other team to set up press. Now the other coach is upset that play was stopped...and I think rightfully so. I've given plenty of warnings over the years, either during a dead ball or as I'm going by the bench in a live ball sitch, but never stopped play to do it...and, perhaps it's not that unusual, I can't remember ever seeing it.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
in a varsity boys game the other night. After hearing a bit from a coach and giving him a couple of half-hearted stop signs, an official hits his whistle and stops play...not for a T, but for a warning. He lets table and partners know he is warning coach, kinda like a DOG. Opposing team, who had ball at time (following no-call that I guess set off coach) now has to restart, put the ball back in play with a throw in and allows other team to set up press. Now the other coach is upset that play was stopped...and I think rightfully so. I've given plenty of warnings over the years, either during a dead ball or as I'm going by the bench in a live ball sitch, but never stopped play to do it...and, perhaps it's not that unusual, I can't remember ever seeing it.
If I'm using the whistle, we're shooting free throws.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could go an entire season without a technical. I could have 3 in a week. After 25 years, I've learned one thing -- it has very little to do with me and everything to do with how "in control" players and coaches are. My line doesn't move much, if at all.
Yup, I have what I feel also is a well defined line and if they pole vault over it, I'm calling it.

I always take a hit on 16, never waver, and some T's with me are automatic.

Have always liked phrase "Will a T make the game better?" it usually does.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by letemplay
I had a partner stop the game to give an explanation to the coach of the defensive team. As soon as we resumed play (and steam is coming out of my ears) the defensive teams slaps a press on.

The offensive team coach gives me this look like "WTF".
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So he acknowledges he learned a lesson. Good for him (or her). Now, let's dump on him.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Yup, I have what I feel also is a well defined line and if they pole vault over it, I'm calling it.

I always take a hit on 16, never waver, and some T's with me are automatic.

Have always liked phrase "Will a T make the game better?" it usually does.
Usually, but I balk at the phrase because whether a T makes the game better really has no bearing on whether it was a good T.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If I'm using the whistle, we're shooting free throws.
Agreed. I've seen it done, and heard of guys doing it locally. I don't like it.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sometimes Ts can make the game better and other times they're needed so the game doesn't hit the toilet.