Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Legal ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The video explains it all: it's a travel.
Not so sure. Looks like the left foot is the pivot foot after the catch, and it looks like a legal catch and shoot. But I can be convinced otherwise.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not so sure. Looks like the left foot is the pivot foot after the catch, and it looks like a legal catch and shoot. But I can be convinced otherwise.
Hard for me to tell for sure, but it looks to me like her right is the pivot. No jump stop, just steps after the pivot, including one with her pivot foot.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to think that I would not call this a travel. I had to press pause button to determine for sure if she gathered ball with right foot on and it still was difficult to tell. She "cupped the ball with right arm and appeared to hold it against her chest , but let hand was not on ball" I think you always err on the side if your are not 100% sure then "no air in whistle". It did look funny but I try not to blow whistle on "funny".
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Cupping the ball is all that's necessary. You let her get away with the travel and you have to call the foul.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
I would like to think that I would not call this a travel. I had to press pause button to determine for sure if she gathered ball with right foot on and it still was difficult to tell. She "cupped the ball with right arm and appeared to hold it against her chest , but let hand was not on ball" I think you always err on the side if your are not 100% sure then "no air in whistle". It did look funny but I try not to blow whistle on "funny".
Slowed down the play:

I think it's close, but I would have said the player gathered the ball with her right foot on the floor thus making the play a travel.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 01:22am.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Please tell me this is a walk...

from reading the comments on the video you can see where a lot of misperceptions come from; one of the comments says something like "that move is on NBA2K12, it must be legal".
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 03:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Please tell me this is a walk...
What is a walk?
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

In slow motion, yes that's a travel.

Am I going to pick a nit that closely? Nope...in real time, that would be close enough to simultaneous to me. I also wouldn't allow the player to pivot afterward.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:10pm.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Agree with APG. In real time I probably have nothing.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Agree with APG. In real time I probably have nothing.
Concur, any doubt = no call.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Another agree (with APG and Welpe)....slow-mo, it is a travel. Live speed, probably too close to call.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

You think that would be picky? That move is one of my pet peeves, that's the "crab dribble" that LaBron is so fond of. Although this one is not as pronounced as some I've seen. Granted that first angle it is tough because there are some other legs in the way, but from L I would hope I would have a good look at the little gallop he gets in there. As long as we agree this is technically a travel I'm happy.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You think that would be picky? That move is one of my pet peeves, that's the "crab dribble" that LaBron is so fond of. Although this one is not as pronounced as some I've seen. Granted that first angle it is tough because there are some other legs in the way, but from L I would hope I would have a good look at the little gallop he gets in there. As long as we agree this is technically a travel I'm happy.
Just so you know, this is a completely legal play under NBA rules...slow motion or otherwise.

Also, it's "LeBron" rather than LaBron

Last edited by APG; Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 04:40pm.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 05:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Without slowing it down, I can't tell if the gather is with his foot on the floor or in the air. If it's in the air, it's legal. If it's on the floor, it's not legal. Since I can't tell in real speed, I'd let it go.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 09:51pm.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Without slowing it down, I can't tell if the gather is with his foot on the floor or in the air. If it's in the air, it's legal. If it's on the floor, it's legal. Since I can't tell in real speed, I'd let it go.
I agree , the main point I take away from discussing this move with many officials is : It is very difficult to tell if one foot is on the floor when the dribble ends (i.e. ball gathered). If the ball is gathered with both feet off the floor then you do not have to land 2 feet simultneously and you can pivot.

After watching many college games it is almost unheard of for this move to be called a travel. The best officials are not going to call travel on this play for 2 reasons: a) impossible to tell if one foot is on floor when ball gathered or b) difficult to tell if feet landed simultaneously

You will not see this called in the NCAA Sweet 16 games this weekend and it will happen 10 times in every game. Peyton Siva from Louisville does it every time he goes into lane.

These officials that are calling these games understand that you do not make travel calls when you are not close to 100% sure. Better to miss a travel than to call one that isn't there.