The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Got a little taste... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85805-got-little-taste.html)

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 14, 2012 08:56am

Got a little taste...

...of what big time varsity ball would be like.

Sophomore boys prelim game last night, close all the way throughout. Big rivalry, and as my game went on, people were arriving early for the varsity game. By the end of regulation, the gym was PACKED. Of course, overtime. That was fine by me though, great atmosphere.

The band was playing, students were getting rowdy (in a good way), visitors had a chance to win at the last second.

Don't know if I've ever had more fun at a game before.

Loudwhistle2 Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 813254)

Sophomore boys prelim game last night, close all the way throughout. Big rivalry, and as my game went on, people were arriving early for the varsity game. By the end of regulation, the gym was PACKED. Of course, overtime. That was fine by me though, great atmosphere.

The band was playing, students were getting rowdy (in a good way), visitors had a chance to win at the last second.

It seems like you are one of the players in the game at that point in time, adrenaline is up, each call is really a big deal and the winner may not be known until the final seconds! Some of my friends ask me why I ref and I try to tell them how it can be exciting trying to keep track of all that is going on, and its like a never ending hunt where you're trying to keep ahead of the action. But until you've experienced a game like you just described, there's no way that I know of to describe it.

Freddy Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:10am

Feel of "The Big Time"

Quote:

Especially great opportunity for you, since you never know who's observing you from the stands. Varsity coaches and assistants, AD's and assignors tend to take notice of the JV guys especially during games like that to keep their finger on the pulse of who might be deserving of moving up soon and who to keep an eye on for the future. Great feeling to sense that you really "nailed it", eh?! :)

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 813268)
It seems like you are one of the players in the game at that point in time, adrenaline is up, each call is really a big deal and the winner may not be known until the final seconds! Some of my friends ask me why I ref and I try to tell them how it can be exciting trying to keep track of all that is going on, and its like a never ending hunt where you're trying to keep ahead of the action. But until you've experienced a game like you just described, there's no way that I know of to describe it.

That's exactly it. Communication with everyone (players, coaches, partner) becomes so much more important in a game like that, and I thought my partner and I did a great job at communicating what we needed to to everyone involved.

It helped that my partner was excellent, I'd worked with him a couple times before and I know I'm working with him again. Nothing more than the usual from the coaches, and I had a sore throat at the end of the night because I had to yell to be heard over the crowd.

Wish I had a louder whistle, though...is it the dolphin that some guys use in loud environments?

Adam Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53am

I still remember my first such game, and that's when the fever really completely set in.

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:58am

Right with ya Snaqs. I think I'll remember this one for a long time.

BillyMac Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47pm

Cool, Way Cool ...

Quote:

The band was playing.

Had a drum line at my game last night. Loud. Thought I was at a football game.

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:51pm

Oh yeah, every timeout the drumline played a cadence. Good stuff

bainsey Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:58pm

It's one of the few times the general populous gets into a sub-varsity game, and it's wonderful for everyone.

Except for the varsity officials who grumble about a late start. :D

Welpe Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09pm

I officiate for moments like that and if there's a tough block/charge call to be had, I want that call!

Glad you enjoyed the moment, they make up for the ugly blowouts in the practice gym with 5 fans in the stands.

refiator Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 813286)
I still remember my first such game, and that's when the fever really completely set in.

Same here...and the fever continues to grow even after LOTS of years. :)

BktBallRef Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:41pm

My favorite thing about such situations is that the fans, players and coaches are going wild. But there are three guys who are calm, cool and collected. :)

26 Year Gap Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 813431)
My favorite thing about such situations is that the fans, players and coaches are going wild. But there are three guys who are calm, cool and collected. :)

Hopefully, there are 5, if you include the scorer and timer.

VaTerp Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:54am

Good play, good partners, good atmosphere.

Any 1 of the 3 makes it worth it.

Any 2 of the 3 and its almost like stealing money.

Cheers to more nights with 2 or 3 of 3.

JRutledge Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 813435)
Hopefully, there are 5, if you include the scorer and timer.

Don't tempt him please???!!!

Peace