The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

back court confusion

After made basket, A1 inboiunds ball to A2, who throws pass while in backcour to A3, who leaps from Front court-catches ball and lands in back court. So this is NO LONGER an inbounds throw.

Do we have back court? I have received two different answers from two different veterans, and the rule book is confusing me.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyd View Post
After made basket, A1 inboiunds ball to A2, who throws pass while in backcour to A3, who leaps from Front court-catches ball and lands in back court. So this is NO LONGER an inbounds throw.

Do we have back court? I have received two different answers from two different veterans, and the rule book is confusing me.
Once the throw-end has ended, all backcourt rules apply. The key here is to ask "where is A3's location while airborne?". If no part of him is in the backcourt when he catches the ball, he's still in the frontcourt. When he lands in the backcourt with the ball, he has violated. See rule 4-35 Art 3.

Last edited by PG_Ref; Thu Jan 12, 2012 at 11:17pm.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Violation.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Shouldn't be any confusion. A3 was in his FC, caught the ball and took it to the BC. Tweet.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You need to ask the veteran who doesn't think it is a violation why he thinks that. I would be interested to hear the reason. I had a seasoned veteran tell me last month that this wasn't a violation if the ball doesn't cross the division line even if the player jumps from the frontcourt.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

The four criteria for BC violation have been met, assuming you know why A3 was in the FC. For that, check rule 4 "Player Location."

The popular expression of that rule is: you are where you were till you get where you're going.