The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Just like the old days... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85676-just-like-old-days.html)

Rich Thu Jan 12, 2012 02:00pm

Just like the old days...

Snow has canceled the girls games at the school we're going to tomorrow night (where we're working the boys games involving the same schools). The AD just called and asked if we can work both varsity games tomorrow starting at 6PM.

This was the way we did things when I lived in Tennessee, except here I'll get 2 full game fees along with the travel money. Unless we decide to take a third to run with us, in which case we'd have to split the money 3 ways.

dave30 Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22pm

It hardly ever snows in Texas, but if it does.....even a small dusting will get your games cancelled !

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30 (Post 812934)
It hardly ever snows in Texas, but if it does.....even a small dusting will get your games cancelled !

I was in Texas in the mid-80s and it snowed heavily in Dallas on New Year's Day. The city shut down and no one could drive and it was mild to Midwestern standards. All the snow was gone the next morning. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Peace

billyu2 Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:47pm

Now that I've got to see!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 812939)
I was in Texas in the mid-80s and it snowed heavily in Dallas on New Year's Day. The city shut down and no one could drive and it was mild to Midwestern standards. All the snow was gone the next morning. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Peace

It snowed in the mid-80's? How did it ever reach the ground?:D

Rich Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38am

23 mile drive tonight took an hour each way. Miserable conditions. We got our game in anyway.

Now 2 tomorrow.

APG Fri Jan 13, 2012 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30 (Post 812934)

This is especially true the further south in Texas you go. Schools get shut down at the threat of ice on the roads.

Ironically, the one time I've had a game in jeopardy due to potential ice, games weren't cancelled for one particular school district, as opposed to the biggest district in the city (in Austin). Actually ended up sleeting right after the game were finished.

rockchalk jhawk Fri Jan 13, 2012 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 812704)
Snow has canceled the girls games at the school we're going to tomorrow night (where we're working the boys games involving the same schools). The AD just called and asked if we can work both varsity games tomorrow starting at 6PM.

This was the way we did things when I lived in Tennessee, except here I'll get 2 full game fees along with the travel money. Unless we decide to take a third to run with us, in which case we'd have to split the money 3 ways.

That's how we roll every night in KS. Girls tip at 6pm, 20 minutes on the clock after that's over with and the boys game gets going right afterwards. So two games for $100 in my part of the state. The one positive is that everything is 3 person and has been for at least 8 years or so now.

jTheUmp Fri Jan 13, 2012 09:14am

Hell, up here we haven't had hardly any snow this year (a light dusting last night, possibly an inch or so coming this weekend). In fact, yesterday was the first day in about 2 weeks where the high temperature didn't make it above 35 degrees.

In Minneapolis, 6 inches of snow is considered a 'minor inconvenience'. Our first big snowstorm last winter caused the Minneapolis schools to close for the first time in (IIRC) 18 years.

The second big snowstorm (the on the collapsed the Metrodome roof) didn't cause any school cancellations, although it did postpone some games that were scheduled on the Saturday before the dome collapse.

Welpe Fri Jan 13, 2012 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 812960)
This is especially true the further south in Texas you go. Schools get shut down at the threat of ice on the roads.

Heh, here if the weatherman says "snow", there is a run on the stores for supplies, panic sets in and schools and the government start shutting things down. Last year school was canceled for a day for snow and it didn't even end up snowing!

Rich Sat Jan 14, 2012 01:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 813009)
That's how we roll every night in KS. Girls tip at 6pm, 20 minutes on the clock after that's over with and the boys game gets going right afterwards. So two games for $100 in my part of the state. The one positive is that everything is 3 person and has been for at least 8 years or so now.

$120 game fee, $30 travel (max). 2 officials. Tipped the girls at 6:05PM and finished the boys at 9:02PM.

Girls game had 9 fouls total with 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter. 10 more in the last 4 minutes. Home team won by 1 as a half court last second shot bounced off the rim. The shot was just late and wouldn't have counted anyway.

Boys game was low in fouls too until the fourth quarter. Called an intentional foul on a made basket. And a DOG warning, too.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 14, 2012 03:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 813202)
Called an intentional foul on a made basket. And a DOG warning, too.

On the same play? :p