The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   what's wrong with this case ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85594-whats-wrong-case-ruling.html)

wanja Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:27pm

what's wrong with this case ruling

NFHS 2.10.1 SITUATION E:

A1 has been given the ball for a throw-in after which A2 commits a foul against B2. B1 is awarded the ball for a throw-in and commits a throw-in violation by touching a foot inbounds before releasing the throw-in pass. The ball is at A1'S disposal for the subsequent throw-in when the officials are informed that A2's foul was team A's seventh foul. RULING: The clock had not started and the error is discovered within the correctable error time frame. B2 is awarded the bonus with no players along the lane lines. The point of interruption is the throw-in for team A (2-10-1aq, 2-20-6).

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:32pm

<strike>Nothing I can see.</strike>

Never mind.

Freddy Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:53pm

Is This It?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 812131)
NFHS 2.10.1 SITUATION E:

A1 has been given the ball for a throw-in after which A2 commits a foul against B2. B1 is awarded the ball for a throw-in and commits a throw-in violation by touching a foot inbounds before releasing the throw-in pass. The ball is at A1'S disposal for the subsequent throw-in when the officials are informed that A2's foul was team A's seventh foul. RULING: The clock had not started and the error is discovered within the correctable error time frame. B2 is awarded the bonus with no players along the lane lines. The point of interruption is the throw-in for team A (2-10-1aq, 2-20-6).

"The ball is at A1'S disposal" has a capital S -- should be small case: "A1's".

Edit: Unless you're talking about the fact that it sounds like last year's ruling before the new "team control during throw-in" revision -- yet another instance of the casebook needing to play catch up with the new rule.

Zoochy Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:10pm

isn't A2's foul a team foul? thus no free throws.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:22pm

Email to Henry Zaborniak, Jr., NFHS Basketball Rules Committee Chairman

On Nov. 16/Wed.(01:34pmEST), 2011, I sent the following email to Hank:

H. Zaborniak/OhioHSAA: Incorrect Ruling in the 2011-12 NFHS Basketball Casebook.‏

Sent: Wed 11/16/11 1:34 PM

To: Henry Zaborniak, Jr. ([email protected])

Bcc: Daryl H. Long ([email protected])

Nov. 16/Wed.(01:34pmEST), 2011

Hank:

I was reading the Casebook this morning and came across an error in the Casebook. The error is in the Ruling for Play 2.10.1 SITUATION E.

The Play reads: "A1 has been given the ball for a throw-in when A2 commits a foul against B2. B1 is awarded the ball for a throw-in and commits a throw-in violation by touching a foot inbounds before releasing the throw-in pass. The ball is at A1's disposal for the subsequent throw-in when the officials are informed that A2's foul was Team A's seventh team foul."

The RULING reads: "The clock had not started and the error is discovered within the correctable error timeframe. B2 is awarded the bonus with no players along the lane lines. The point of interruption is the throw-in for Team A. (R2-S10-A1a; R2-S1-A6)"

SITUATION 2.10.1 E is no longer a Correctable Error because of the change in the definition of Team Control. The Common Foul by A2 was a Team Control Foul and the penalty for a TCF is a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul which is what happened. B1's throw-in violation occured during the throw-in which was the penalty for A2's CF against B2.

Mark DeNucci, Sr.

I am still awaiting a response from Hank.

MTD, Sr.

wanja Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 812136)
isn't A2's foul a team foul? thus no free throws.

got it -- team control foul. NFHS has some fixin' to do.

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 812138)
got it -- team control foul. NFHS has some fixin' to do.

Doh. I was focussed on the correctable aspect (the point of the case play). They could easily change this to get the point across by making the initial play a defensive foul.

wanja Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 812142)
Doh. I was focussed on the correctable aspect (the point of the case play). They could easily change this to get the point across by making the initial play a defensive foul.

Me too when another official first brought this to my attention. A lesson learned from this for me is to confirm with at least one partner on odd situations such as correctable errors.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 11, 2012 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 812131)
NFHS 2.10.1 SITUATION E:

Didn't you post this here already? Someone did, back near the start of the season.

edit: I see that was already covered. My mistake.

fullor30 Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 812142)

How many were swearing,1-2-3? "I heard focussed"

Welpe Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 812330)
How many were swearing,1-2-3? "I heard focussed"

:eek:

That was pretty funny.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27pm

Shut up

Welpe Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31pm

You know you laughed.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 812340)
You know you laughed.

Not out loud.

Raymond Wed Jan 11, 2012 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 812334)
:eek:

That was pretty funny.

I'm missing the joke. :o