The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong team tries to throw in after basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85453-wrong-team-tries-throw-after-basket.html)

Art N Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:21pm

Wrong team tries to throw in after basket

I had this twice last week in back to back girls Fresh/JV games.
A scores and B seems to be taking their time or confused about who is suppose to throw the ball in. A1 steps out of bounds and grabs the ball to throw it in. My partner T doesn't do anything, so I blow my whistle and issue a delay warning on A. Should this have warranted a T? Should I have eaten my whistle and let him ignore it? I can't find the reference or case in the book in a quick scan. Thanks for your input.

just another ref Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:25pm

Art N Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:28pm

Thanks. I knew it was "hidden" somewhere! ;)
Seems like the comment covers my "confusion issue with a warning.

Adam Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:37pm

I'm going to be awfully sure there wasn't any confusion before I go straight to the T on this.

Loudwhistle2 Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 811162)
I'm going to be awfully sure there wasn't any confusion before I go straight to the T on this.

Especially at this level! Half the JV girls around here don't even want the ball during the game, they just like saying they are on the team. Rules are the last thing on their minds.

BillyMac Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:50pm

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 811151)

Am I the only Forum member who realizes that most coaches, and fanboys, don't have access to a casebook?

10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1
inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A’s basket.
RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation
if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next
throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with an unsporting technical foul; (b) assess
a delay-of-game warning for interfering with the ball after a goal; (c) cancel the
field goal; (d) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any non-flagrant foul
against A2 in the act of shooting; and (e) put “consumed” time back on the clock.
COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire
procedure would be followed except no unsporting team technical foul would be
charged. A team technical would be assessed if the team had received a previous
delay warning. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in
which an official administers the throw-in and a mistake allows the wrong team
to inbound the ball. (4-47-3; 7-6-6; 10-1-5d)

refiator Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:41pm

I have no doubt that this was out of confusion....Especially a the JV level. I can't imagine calling a T based on what I see here....... Turn 'em around and play ball.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 811205)
Am I the only Forum member who realizes that most coaches, and fanboys, don't have access to a casebook?

Some of them barely know about the rulebook, let alone a casebook. To them, a casebook is a case of books. :eek: