The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Off-topic techie question: downloading YouTube (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85370-off-topic-techie-question-downloading-youtube.html)

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:07pm

Off-topic techie question: downloading YouTube

I would like to use the "Flagrant/Intentional Foul" video for training purposes, but will not have internet access at the place where I'm going to get together with the guys. Is it possible to download the video to a hard drive? If so, can it then be shown on Windows Media Player?

Thanks for any help.

ToolinFool Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:34pm

Downloading video from YouTube

I use RealPlayer. It's free and works great for YouTube videos.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 810400)
I would like to use the "Flagrant/Intentional Foul" video for training purposes, but will not have internet access at the place where I'm going to get together with the guys. Is it possible to download the video to a hard drive? If so, can it then be shown on Windows Media Player?

Thanks for any help.

It is possible, but they don't make it easy. There is no "download" function on YouTube. You have to get another program that will grab the video from YouTube and save it to your machine....or some other indirect way.

A short google search led me to this page...

[Google Chrome] Save Youtube Videos using the Favorites/Bookmarks - UnlockForUs

Haven't tried it through.

Then you can use one of many players to view it.

FOLLOWUP: Just tested it in Chrome....works like a charm. I've now got 4 bookmarks in Chrome that will let me down load any video that I'm currently viewing through YouTube as FLV, HQ, 720P, or 1080P....sweet.

Looks like the same solution should also work for most non-IE browsers (e.g., FireFox, Safari, or Opera)

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 810400)

Thanks for any help.

PM sent.

fullor30 Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 810429)
PM sent.

Juggs, if just some help on downloading, can you send my way also? Doing some vids for association down the road, mostly fun stuff, and want to capture youtube pieces.

Thanks

Brad Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:55pm

Use Firefox and Download Helper — it will download a video to your computer from YouTube and many other sites.

For playing just about any video type, I'd recommend VLC

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 04, 2012 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 810497)
Whack! Get Out!!!

Every time you post, I think of Ron Garretson. :D

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 04, 2012 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 810505)
Every time you post, I think of Ron Garretson. :D

That's funny. I think of Old School. :)

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19pm

Thanks to everybody for the help. I ended up downloading the extension for Chrome, and it worked great. The "flagrant foul" video was a great source for conversation at the meeting. Thanks again to everybody who responded.