The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mich St / WIS (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85346-mich-st-wis.html)

tjones1 Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:22pm

Mich St / WIS

Interesting situation occurring in Madison...

anyone else watching?

tjones1 Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:23pm

I say no basket.....

tjones1 Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:23pm

And the officials agree....Wow, what an ending!!!

tjones1 Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:32pm

In case you missed it.

End of OT, WIS with the ball, down 3. Miss first attempt, got rebound. As time expires, another 3 attempt goes up and in! However, upon review, the clock on the basket shows 0.00 and the LED around the back board lights up....BUT clock directly behind basket on the bowl ring marquee showed 0.1.

Fairly easy call, but interesting.

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:36pm

I turned it on right as they waved it off. Bo Ryan was not a happy camper.

tjones1 Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 810289)

True. However, you can't agrue with 5-7-2.

cmhjordan23 Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03pm

What exactly is the rule in high school and college when a quarter or period ends? Assuming there is a clock above basket and LED light vs nothing at all.

deecee Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:06pm

I don't have my rule book in front of me but I believe the horn signals the end of the period.

tjones1 Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 810294)
What exactly is the rule in high school and college when a quarter or period ends? Assuming there is a clock above basket and LED light vs nothing at all.

Fed: 5-6-2
Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal illuminates or sounds indicating time has expired.

NCAA: 5-7-2
Each period shall end when the red light or LED lights have bcome activated. When the light fails to operate or is not visible, each period shall end with the sounding of the game-clock horn.

a. In games when the red light is not present, the game-clock horn shall terminate players' activity.

b. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game is to be used to determine whether a try for goal occurred before or after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is no visable, the officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). WHen the red/LED light(s) are not visable, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be used. When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the orginal call stands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 810295)
I don't have my rule book in front of me but I believe the horn signals the end of the period.

See above.

Zoochy Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42pm

Sorry deecee, but I cast my vote with the tjones1

SAJ Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23am

first football and now basketball...great games

tjones1 Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:20am

Comments from Referee Pat Driscoll

"By rule we have to go by the clock that is on the backboard," Driscoll said. "I don't know why there would be different [times] -- it could be satellite, electronic, whatever -- but by rule we have to go by the clock that is attached to the backboard. In our review on the monitor, the clock clearly showed zeros while the ball remained in the Wisconsin player's hands."

Driscoll said officials looked at the replay approximately seven times, also examining whether Evans' foot was on the 3-point line.

bainsey Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 810297)
Fed: 5-6-2
Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal illuminates or sounds indicating time has expired.

This rule changed last year, I believe. It used to be that the officials must go by the horn for a quarter's end. Now, if there's a light behind the backboard (LED or single light), we are to consider the light primarily.

There aren't any high school gyms in these parts that have those lights, only the college gyms. Our state's post-season tournaments are held in three different venues, and only one has such lights. (One of those building is being replaced, so here's hoping they think of such lights.)

tjones1 Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 810370)
This rule changed last year, I believe. It used to be that the officials must go by the horn for a quarter's end. Now, if there's a light behind the backboard (LED or single light), we are to consider the light primarily.

There aren't any high school gyms in these parts that have those lights, only the college gyms. Our state's post-season tournaments are held in three different venues, and only one has such lights. (One of those building is being replaced, so here's hoping they think of such lights.)

I think it was changed two years ago (2009-2010). Mark Sr. will confirm later tonight when he has the opportunity to look in his archives.

billyu2 Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 810289)

So why was po' Bo so peeved? The replay confirmed it. The officials got it right and the game was played in his facility.:(