The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Basketball is Basketball

Is the rim 10' at all levels?
Do they shoot FTs from 15' at all levels?
5 on 5 at all levels?
Is the court at least 84' x 50' at all levels?

SLAM ONLINE | Freed Up

Last edited by tref; Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 11:42am.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Is the court at least 84' x 50' at all levels?
I've seen some small, old auxiliary gyms in my few years that were definitely not.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

3 outta 4 aint bad
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
2 out of 4?

Quote:
3 outta 4 aint bad
Our 7-8 yr old rec league group shoots FT's from in front of the FT line!
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Our 7-8 yr old rec league group shoots FT's from in front of the FT line!
I cant accept that one sir! Not counting anything under HS, that animal is not a level, its a training ground.

BTW why are we looking for a dispute instead focusing on the main objective in the post?
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just funnin......

Quote:
I cant accept that one sir! Not counting anything under HS, that animal is not a level, its a training ground.

BTW why are we looking for a dispute instead focusing on the main objective in the post?
You're right.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Slow day at work...just having fun like grune. I do know grune likes to yell at people though.....

Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:22pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Some people just like to dispute. Although I agree with your list and the article, what is the objective of the post? I'm not being funny, I'm just wondering what you expect.

I will give you this: some people at the high school and college level want to take the path of least resistance while officiating.

Don't call hand-checking around the 28' line - are you going to also ignore it when a player slaps the hand away?
Make sure the 5th foul on a player is a good one - what about making sure the other 4 were good?
I didn't hear the coach - very convenient since he called you everything but a child of God.

I think what John Adams is doing is a good thing. Years ago, I was at a high profile camp. During the meetings, the assignor was talking about what he wanted called and I was listening intently. Silly me. I went out on the court, did what the assignor said he wanted and got roasted. I made calls just like the assignor was talking about and people on staff asked me why I didn't let the contact go. A no win situation and a learning experience for sure. With Adams' philosophy, a foul is a foul period. My military mind can get with that.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

My badd, poor choice of words
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

"We need to steal from the NBA."- John Adams

I think the OP confuses the "main objective in the post" but that's just me.

This should be interesting once people actually read the linked article....
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
With Adams' philosophy, a foul is a foul period. My military mind can get with that.
I like this philosophy. I just wish it would be carried over to traveling as well, i.e. a travel is a travel, period.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
I like this philosophy. I just wish it would be carried over to traveling as well, i.e. a travel is a travel, period.
The lower the level, the more travels that weren't really travels are called.
At the higher levels the focus is on getting the obvious travels, not the ones that you have to rewind several times to validate.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the higher levels the focus is on getting the obvious travels, not the ones that you have to rewind several times to validate.
I wouldn't know from first hand knowledge, but I hope that the above statement is not true. The games I watch on TV, you can easily get well into the double digits on obvious travels (mostly on the catch) that are not called in each game. No rewind necessary. I'm guessing that's the way the powers that be want it called.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
I wouldn't know from first hand knowledge, but I hope that the above statement is not true. The games I watch on TV, you can easily get well into the double digits on obvious travels (mostly on the catch) that are not called in each game. No rewind necessary. I'm guessing that's the way the powers that be want it called.
Keep hope alive

Many times the best spot for catching those violations are on the couch or in the stands or bench.

"The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" remixed by Mr. George Tolliver

The Good - Player catches the ball at the top of the key, they take one dribble, they take 5 steps to the basket. We know what we have on that. Thats the good & thats the obvious!

The Bad - We have a catch at the top of the key & we have foot movement, it looks funny. But we're not really sure, it seems like something was there. Thats in the grey area where we have a certain rule or guideline that you should not have a whistle for those reasons. So, when you have the bad, stay AWAY from those because you dont really know, you're not sure!

The Ugly - Block/Charge play in a 1 point game with 5 seconds on the clock and what are you gonna do? Are you gonna put the game first or is it gonna depend upon who has the ball & who has the block & who has the charge? We know the time, we know the score, are we gonna manufacture all those things in there? Thats ugly.

No guesses, no messes!!

Oh yeah, for the record, one doesn't have to referee in the League to apply these practices, but you do have to attend quality camps to get this information.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 02:21pm
Huck Finn

Thumbs up

Quote:
No guesses, no messes!!
Now I'm not one for catchy slogans, but I like this!