The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 07:02am
In Memoriam

Proposals intended to curb rough play - By Malcolm Moran, USA TODAY

College basketball's continuing emphasis on limiting rough play, and its occasionally frustrating search for a solution, soon could lead to the most significant change to the court in 47 years.
The proposed implementation of a trapezoidal lane, similar to the one used in the international game was announced Monday. It is intended to reinforce instructions given to officials in recent seasons. Now, rather than having to sort out the complex decision of which inside player might be gaining an advantage, an official could reduce traffic near the basket by counting to three.

By extending the area for three-second violations by almost 4 feet on each side at the baseline, and adding about 9 inches to the current 19-foot, 9-inch distance for a three-point shot, the NCAA men's basketball rules committee recommended relieving the game of its congestion problems.

At its widest point, the lane would be a little more than 19 feet, 8 inches across. The current width of 12 feet was established when the lane was doubled in width for the 1956-57 season.

"The lane is a huge difference," says New Mexico coach Ritchie McKay, an assistant on the gold medal-winning U.S. team at the 1997 University Games.

"Now you're going to just need more skill level on offense. You can't just drop it in the post. A lot might depend on how the refs administer the three-second rule. Is it a genuine three seconds or will they give you 3.5?"

The extension of the three-point line is not expected to result in a major statistical shift. According to NCAA figures, experimental games using the new distance last season resulted in an average of 18 three-point attempts, compared to 17.4 in a sample of games using the 19-9 line. In both cases, teams shot 34% on three-pointers.

But the new line would end the perception that the shot is too simple for the college level, a view held since the introduction of the rule for the 1986-87 season. A slightly more difficult three-point shot, combined with the new lane, would provide officials with help in eliminating collisions.

"We put in the point of emphasis to clean up rough play," says Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, "and sometimes I think we put too much on the officials to do that. It's tough to do, especially over the grind of a long season. I think we have to help the officials."

Don DeVoe, who has coached Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Navy to NCAA tournament appearances, feels the proposal is linked to the sixth-place finish at the 2002 World Championships by a U.S. team made up exclusively of NBA players.

"I think a lot of this is obviously for our teams to perform better in international competition," DeVoe says. "We haven't done as well in recent years, and it has to do with our guys not being as comfortable on the floor as other countries."

Jean Lenti Ponsetto, head of the Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet that would have to OK the changes, says members will look into concerns such as the financial impact of a change and its effect on the image of the game.

"It usually takes a couple of weeks to circulate through coaching circles," Ponsetto says.

"If the coaches feel well-educated and the rules committee did due diligence ... then there's probably going to be a fair amount of support for it."

Coaches such as Brey, who was at the World Championships late last summer, envision a game with more movement and fewer unnecessary collisions.

"What we can expect to see most is more zone defense," McKay says. "Just pack the zone in a little, especially if you've got a group that can't guard the interior so well."

Another proposed change would give officials more freedom to check TV replays. At or near the end of each half, officials would be able to see if a shot was released before the game clock reached zero or before the shot clock expired. Until now, officials could examine shots against the game clock only at the end of games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-changes_x.htm
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 07:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

If they want to open up the offense, I've got a better idea. Every time a team gains team control in its backcourt, the defensive team must have one of its players leave the floor "on the fly", just like hockey. That way the offense can play 5 on 4. When they either make a shot or miss and lose the rebound, they must have a player run off and the other team gets their player back.

Also, instead of moving the 3-point line back, just increase the number of points for a made shot from behind the line to 12, but only it the shot is made by a player shorter than 6'5".

They should also eliminate dunks and any shot from closer than 10 feet, and require all shots to hit the backboard first in order to count.

Then - replace the current rims and nets with peach baskets.

Meds, meds - my kingdom for my meds.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

I have an idea, why don't they just call the fouls under the basket in the NCAA and Pros. I heard Mike Fratello say last night after an offensive foul by Shak, that it was hard to officiate Shak because you could call that offensive foul every time. Ok, then why don't they!? If someone travels all the time, should we look the other way because they are MJ or Kobe?

Call the fouls down low, don't let them bang the crap out of each other and they'll stop, or they sit with 5.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityRef
I heard Mike Fratello say last night after an offensive foul by Shak, that it was hard to officiate Shak because you could call that offensive foul every time. Ok, then why don't they!?
Maybe because Jack Nickolson, Dyan Cannon, every Hollywood star, not to mention the networks who paid big bucks to broadcast games from coast to coast want to see the stars on the floor. I'm not saying this is right, it's just what I see.

But I agree with you, WCR. Take the physicality out of the game and skills will return. When players are allowed to beat the crap out of each other it's boring to watch. It isn't until the finals does the NBA get enjoyable to watch. I'll turn on the tube in about a month!!!
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
When players are allowed to beat the crap out of each other it's boring to watch. It isn't until the finals does the NBA get enjoyable to watch. I'll turn on the tube in about a month!!!
Seems to me 'physicality' increases in the playoffs.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
Seems to me 'physicality' increases in the playoffs. [/B][/QUOTE]

mick,
Yeah, I guess you right there. But the teams that make it that far usually have superior skills to go along with the bulk.

I was in Dick's sporting goods the other week and they were showing an ESPN Classic - NBA finals 1985-86 season Lakers vs. Celtics. I saw shots, defensive plays, passes that I hadn't seen in years. Everything was done with only one goal in mind-win. I miss that style of play.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 12:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Seems to me 'physicality' increases in the playoffs. [/B]
mick,
Yeah, I guess you right there. But the teams that make it that far usually have superior skills to go along with the bulk.

I was in Dick's sporting goods the other week and they were showing an ESPN Classic - NBA finals 1985-86 season Lakers vs. Celtics. I saw shots, defensive plays, passes that I hadn't seen in years. Everything was done with only one goal in mind-win. I miss that style of play. [/B][/QUOTE]

YU.P.
I eagerly await an NBA guard's bouncing a cross-court pass off the backboard into the hands of a Big Guy that slams a two... a la Cousey-to-Russell.
mick
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Here is what most of you miss. I have to find some time this summer, between basketball camp, volleyball camp, Boys State, Several church conferences, pre - season Volleyball, fall registration, individual work outs and vacation to get the floor refinished and re painted. What confuses me, ok ONE of the things that confuse me, is the best way to have a trapezoidal lane for our men and, if our conference elects, a "normal" lane for our women? (We have 2 6'8" ladies, so I am sure they will vote for the trapazoid) Talk about a logistical nightmare. We usually wait until Thanksgiving break to have the floor refinished, can't do that now. Thanks a freakin lot NCAA!!
(Ok the rant is now over, the worrying and chess maneuvering can begin!)
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Oh wow, that would be a mess. Men and Women using differnt floors. The smaller schools would be hurting the most.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

looking at my FIBA rulebook, this proposed keyhole looks like the FIBA keyhole
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

3, 2, 1 scoring

Since we are talking about changes to the game, I'll advocate a 3,2,1 scoring system. I'm sick of seeing the game taken over by huge players. I enjoy the speed, skill, and passing. I could care less about dunks and big post players.
Therefore, I say keep the three point shot and the two pointer, but simply make any shot from inside the lane (whether it is a rectangle, trapezoid, or semi-cirlce) worth only one point. That's right a dunk would be worth just one freakin' point! Take that Shaq. The big guys would have to learn to shoot the mid-range jumper again.
They would still be worth something for rebounding, but the shooters would return to the primary position of focus in the game.
PS Whether the shot is a one or a two is determined the same way as a two or a three. If both feet aren't entirely out of the lane when the shot is taken, it's worth only one. Yes, you could make a two point dunk if you can jump that far.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Sorry Mark but I've just got to tell you - here in Australia Meds are a brand of TAMPON!!!!
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 01:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ausref23
Quote:

Sorry Mark but I've just got to tell you - here in Australia Meds are a brand of TAMPON!!!!
Yeah - and you also have a product called Nads.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ausref23
Quote:

Oh boy, now you’ve gone and done it, you just gave Mark more ammunition.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, since we are all going into an “I wish mode,” here is mine. Has anyone given consideration to raising the height of the baskets for both college and the NBA? Make the NCAA basket 11’6” or 12’ and the NBA 13’. This would take a good part of the reason for camping in the lane away.

The NBA lane today looks more like